• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Roon EQ Tutorial

Neutronman

Hey guys,
audio noob here. I tried using search function, but was not able to find what I was looking for. I read a bunch of the headphone reviews and looks like Amir is using the EQ function in roon to tweak the headphones. Can someone let me have a link to a decent tutorial as I would like to try to use this with a couple of sets of headphones I have here.
Cheers,
Greg

OP
N

Neutronman

Not to worry, decided not to bother with Roon, to much of a learning curve. Installed Equalizer and Peace and looking for some fun Parametric EQ presets for my headphones.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Not to worry, decided not to bother with Roon, to much of a learning curve. Installed Equalizer and Peace and looking for some fun Parametric EQ presets for my headphones.

I would have a look here in the first instance https://www.reddit.com/r/oratory1990/wiki/index/list_of_presets

Tweak to your hearts desire after setting the filters as he suggests. Some profiles included suggested filters to tweak for certain areas of the spectrum (eg, bass, shouty, airy parts of the FR)

OP
N

Neutronman

Awesome stuff guys. I have Sennheiser Momentums and Meze Neo 99's that could do with some tweaking.

Bernard23

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Here is a master list of headphones and Eq settings recommendations: https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/tree/master/results
Now that is helpful, but some questions on implementing them, I'm a PEQ newbie. Is the idea to use all of the Fr points, or just the first five, what does it mean by set independently or stacked? I've set up 3 curves for the corresponding phones I've got, including the gain adjust using every point on the FR chart, but the points seem to be organised in two separate ascending lists, why is that?

I've attached a screenshot for my Grado SR325e (which is an improvement over standard). It does look unnecessarily complex, and yes I realise that the FR plots show sometimes a lot of deviation, but sometimes less is more....

Attachments

• 2022-02-01 (1).png
    2022-02-01 (1).png
    263.4 KB · Views: 137

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Now that is helpful, but some questions on implementing them, I'm a PEQ newbie. Is the idea to use all of the Fr points, or just the first five, what does it mean by set independently or stacked? I've set up 3 curves for the corresponding phones I've got, including the gain adjust using every point on the FR chart, but the points seem to be organised in two separate ascending lists, why is that?

I've attached a screenshot for my Grado SR325e (which is an improvement over standard). It does look unnecessarily complex, and yes I realise that the FR plots show sometimes a lot of deviation, but sometimes less is more....
There is no right or wrong answer to this. EQing a set of Can’s is a personal journey to discover what eq settings sound the best to you and your ears/hearing. You can use some of the various resources of test results and recommend eq settings as a guide or starting point. Then just experiment tweaking these settings until it sounds great to you. Be careful about boosting because you can start introducing distortion. Maybe go watch a few YouTube videos about how to use “Parametric EQ for Headphones” and then go on a journey of discovery. This is one of those places in life where going through the motions yourself will be very rewarding and you will gain a deeper understanding of how eq works. Of course the above is all just my humble opinion. Good luck and remember to enjoy the journey with music….;)

Bernard23

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thank you, helpful advice. I've started with the settings and already started experimenting, there are none for the yamaha MT5 so just making my own up. Its a care of less is sometimes more, plus using the auto gain in roon so as not to kill my amp.

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am new to Roon, and wanting to use the EQ for room and speaker correction. Is there some rule of thumb regarding whether to use minimum phase vs linear phase in the Roon DSP settings? I would think if the filters are not too sharp then linear phase would be OK. But is there some easy rule or guidance? (Such as "don't use linear phase if your EQ has filters with Q > X")

Or maybe that setting only applies to resampling and not the EQ filters?

Last edited:
Top Bottom