• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Roon and NAS installs

Wicky

Even so its hardware requirements seem very steep compared to daphile (so LMS, doing multiroom and DSP for as many locally connected players as you have, but not video or multichannel). I assume they're covering themselves for the exceptional loads like converting multichannel dsd to pcm before doing a monstrously long convolution, rather than just being spectacularly inefficient.
Yeah, most likely some headroom there, and let's not forget these specs also need to consider the underlying OS might be Windows, not a lean version of Linux running on an RPi, so I'd say after Windows, there's not much left-over for Roon to play with.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think there was a divorce between QNAP (NAS) and Roon, due to QNAP security advisory for Roon Server...
Although just 4 years ago, QNAP was the Roon recommended NAS.
The Roon Core recommendation (from my understanding) is installing/running it from the most "capable" machine... thus, to run it from a NAS (no matter how capable a CPU) is not the ideal solution. But there is a trade-off if the library is quite large; for privacy and convenience to install on the NAS. I think, due to some security issues, Windows10 changed the process of mapping network (NAS) drives (*w/i OS). See this link for example solution.
I was going to install Roon 60-day trial (but momma raised no fool) >> I actually read thru the Roon EULA, and their 'Privacy Policy" is NOT to my liking.
Roon EULA
USE OF COOKIES: We use cookies to identify you when you visit this website and to keep track of your browsing patterns and build up a demographic profile. Our use of cookies also allows registered users to be presented with a personalised version of the site, carry out transactions and have access to information about their account. …However, should you decide to disable any cookies we place on your computer you may not be able to use certain services or facilities on the website. However, switching off cookies will restrict your use of our website.
DISCLOSURES: We will only disclose personal information to other companies within our group of companies, business partners, government bodies and law enforcement agencies successors in title to our business and suppliers we engage to process data on our behalf.
OTHER WEBSITES: Our website may contain links to other websites which are outside our control and are not covered by this Privacy Policy. If you access other sites using the links provided, the operators of these sites may collect information from you which will be used by them in accordance with their privacy policy, which may differ from ours.
INTERNET-BASED TRANSFERS: Given that the Internet is a global environment, using the Internet to collect and process personal data necessarily involves the transmission of data on an international basis. Therefore, by browsing this website and communicating electronically with us, you acknowledge our processing of personal data in this way. However, we will endeavour to protect all personal information collected through this website in accordance with strict data protection standards. Changes to this Privacy Policy: From time to time we may update this Privacy Policy.
From <https://roonlabs.com/privacypolicy>
What information is Roon server collecting from me?
It has been said "All is as secure as can be, until it is found not to be!"

JoetheLion

Forum Donor
If Roon is running on your iMac, why do you need to install anything on your NAS?
That would be my question as well. I have Roon running on a 7 year old, discarded MacBook Pro (Mid 2014, Core i5) as a "server". It consumes 4 watts when idle, Hi-Res streaming via WLAN to three different endpoints on two floors is no problem, nor is controlling it via the remote app on the iPhone/iPad.

Last edited:

horias2000

Forum Donor
I installed roon core on my custom nas made out of an old small firm factor pc with an Intel g processor ( dual core) and 12GB of RAM. I'm using Freenas as an operating system and I installed a Linux virtual machine in freenas. In this virtual machine I installed roon core. The virtual machine has 4GB of RAM dedicated. Roon works very well and I rarely see 20% in the cpu usage of the Nas. I have to mention that the Nas is also used for video streaming with Plex. I do not stream films and listen to music at the same time but I tried it and it woks just fine. I'm not sure if this helps anybody but I thought it was worth sharing.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I saw recently that QNAP has a roon app.

Personally, I enjoy the speed and reliability of ROCK on a NUC. I have a QNAP NAS, and it crashes intermittently installing its own updates and bloatware.

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I could not get anything to load on it…period!

Someone should tell you that you are currently in over your head.

Someone should also tell you that you look at a map before you make a trip. You need to read the official Roon Core documentation or start hitting YT.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The Roon sight has the Nucleus, advertised as the best way to use Roon. I had the NAS and decided to try it.
I think I will just use the iMac alone…works ok and no more hassle.
The Nucleus is a rip-off. You can get a NUC with more processor and more memory for less $. Of course, they will maintain that the NUCNucleus interface sounds better, but that is absolute crap. Just run USB from the NUC to the DAC if you want direct, it works great. Otherwise, put it on the network and forget about it.

This configuration is roughly what the Nucleus was offering, last I checked.

Last edited:

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Of course, they will maintain that the NUC interface sounds better, but that is absolute crap. Just run USB from the NUC to the DAC if you want direct, it works great.
So, Wait: Then, why are people outfitting their NUCs (etc.) with ROCK instead of WinOS?
Please don't tell me:
Someone should tell you that you are currently in over your head.
Someone should also tell you that you look at a map before you make a trip. You need to read the official Roon Core documentation or start hitting YT.
Maybe the rock-or-roon does something for that latest 'immersive' experience w/umpteen channel configuration but does it appreciably improve whachoo get from a 2.1 system; centered around a pc feeding itself, its own (local/networked) audio/stream?

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
o, Wait: Then, why are people outfitting their NUCs (etc.) with ROCK instead of WinOS?
Sorry, I meant to say they will say the *Nucleus* hardware interface (Ethernet, USB) sounds better.

The only advantage of ROCK, which you can install on a NUC yourself (I did, it's easy), is that it is really fast and stable, as a dedicated Arch (I think) Linux-based build to run Roon. More stable/faster processing, same sound, same Roon.

I really don't understand most of your post above, tho.

radix

Major Contributor
Just to toss this in, I run Roon on a Synology DS916+, which is an older model. It has 4x 5400 rpm 4TB disks (wd40efrx), plus one external SSD for the Roon database. There's a method to side-load the Roon Server from Christopher Rieke. It's been performing fine for almost a year now.

I would not call it a novice job to install it. You need to understand how the NAS works and the security settings and such.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just to toss this in, I run Roon on a Synology DS916+, which is an older model. It has 4x 5400 rpm 4TB disks (wd40efrx), plus one external SSD for the Roon database. There's a method to side-load the Roon Server from Christopher Rieke. It's been performing fine for almost a year now.

I would not call it a novice job to install it. You need to understand how the NAS works and the security settings and such.
Yeah, the QNAP app would make it a snap. But with QNAP bloatware and the attendant uptime issues.

I have a synology NAS in the other house, and that doesn't crash nearly as often. here's some info:

Kegemusha

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have one of these WD cloud home 2TB and is not so good IMHO (the home variant is more like an external drive), anyway mine is only smb so I need to mount the music folder to play all my FLACS. I run a Sonos app and all is good.

There is link here that might help.
Should be possible to tell roon your files are in that WD drive otherwise.

radix

Major Contributor
I have a synology NAS in the other house, and that doesn't crash nearly as often.

I've had Synology NAS for a very long time. The DS916+ is my second one. In over 10 years of Synology, I don't think it has ever crashed. I do not use a ton of apps on it, so maybe that is the issue?

vinci92

I run my Roon core on my Synology DS718+ with ease and nice speed. - RoonServer on a first 500gb SSD - My local music fils into my Minimserver on a 4tb SSD. After adding an extra D3NS1866L-4G Synology 4GB Ram card (2 + 4 = 6 GB RAM total), its working like a charm with my Lumin X1. Same result in my secondary system.

Marc v E

Major Contributor
I just read this thread and must say I'm quite surprised Roon requires a seperate computer next to a NAS to run on.

Does this mean you actually have to start it and stop or do owners leave these high powered Roon server devices running all the time? It kind of reminds me of a time before I discovered Nas and rpi.

vinci92

I just read this thread and must say I'm quite surprised Roon requires a seperate computer next to a NAS to run on.

Does this mean you actually have to start it and stop or do owners leave these high powered Roon server devices running all the time? It kind of reminds me of a time before I discovered Nas and rpi.
The NAS replace the computer and you use you iPad "Roon Remote" app to control Roon.

vinci92

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't use it on NAS but am curious about the same question of what it reliably runs on as far as NAS.
I have a room core on Qnap.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I could not get anything to load on it…period!
Then you should ask help on the NAS manufacturer’s support forum.

Top Bottom