• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Roon and NAS installs

TLEDDY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I purchased a WD My Cloud 4x4 Tb solid state NAS and failed to install a Roon system on it.

I am NOT tech savvy and need some help. I am all Apple and running Roon successfully on an iMac. Just want a new node!

OP
TLEDDY

TLEDDY

Forum Donor
No Roon - NAS user’s here?

HCT-5808

Are you sure there is a version of Roon that will run on this? Generally for Synology and the like, someone adapts the server software for the platform.

You can probably use this as your library and run the server/core software on a separate PC. This is what I do. The music sits on the NAS and is networked to a separate Roon dedicated PC.

Wicky

Did you check the minimum system system requirements for Room OS? You typically require more CPU, RAM & I/O than many typical NAS systems come with. Assuming the OS on the NAS is Windows you'll require at least an i3 processor and 8GB RAM and also recommends SSD storage for the Roon OS itself: https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/faq-what-are-the-minimum-requirements
Most Room users install Room OS/Roon Core on PC pointing to their music library on NAS

pvanosta

What wicky says. I have a much more powerful NAS than the one described above (I have a Synology DS1819+ with extra Ram and 2x400 GB SSD Cache) and even I don't run Roon server (Roon Core) on that NAS although it is (on paper) able to do so. I run Roon on a dedicated NUC (fanless) and use the NAS only to store my library.

OP
TLEDDY

TLEDDY

Forum Donor
. I run Roon on a dedicated NUC
I am embarrassed to display my ignorance- what is NUC, where do I get one and details of how to set it up, please.
See OP!!

Wicky

I am embarrassed to display my ignorance- what is NUC, where do I get one and details of how to set it up, please.
See OP!!
A NUC is name brand of a small form-factor or 'mini' PC by Intel https://www.intel.co.uk/content/www/uk/en/products/details/nuc/mini-pcs.html These are often preferred for Roon and media server applications because they are (usually) cheaper, less power hungry, and can be tucked away out of site somewhere. Another popular choice for these types of applications are Mac mini's.

It's worth noting that Roon has it's own DSP which it very useful additional functionality but it requires more resources than your typical NAS or Raspberry PI based media server/streamer.

pvanosta

A NUC is a mini computer (Next Unit of Computing), with few (or in the case of a fanless NUC, zero) moving parts. You can buy them ready-built with an Intel Corei5 or Corei7 cpu, a small SSD hard drive (say 128GB or 256GB) and 16 Gb of Ram. You install a special version of Roon called ROCK on the NUC (detailed instructions are available on the Roon website) or you can buy a NUC with ROCK pre-loaded if you shop around. Let em know if you need more info.

bluefuzz

Major Contributor
I purchased a WD My Cloud 4x4 Tb solid state NAS and failed to install a Roon system on it
I very much doubt you will get Roon server running on that. You'll probably need a fairly high specced Qnap or Synology NAS.

See https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en...he_folder_is_properly_shared_over_the_network

or https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/roon-server-on-nas#Why_would_anyone_want_this

In the brief period I was evaluating Roon I had it running fine on OpenMediaVault running on an old HP Microserver.

Madjalapeno

Forum Donor
I have a Synology NAS for my music, but have a dedicated Xeon server for running Roon Core.

Old Dell R220 3.6GHz, 16Gb RAM, 1TB HDD only cost $229 on eBay.

Also has the advantage I can VPN into it for remote Roon listening at the office.

TunaBug

Forum Donor
I purchased a WD My Cloud 4x4 Tb solid state NAS and failed to install a Roon system on it.

I am NOT tech savvy and need some help. I am all Apple and running Roon successfully on an iMac. Just want a new node!

I'm surprised that nobody has asked this yet, but how exactly did it fail to install?

Not sure I can help much though. I'm not running ROON anywhere, but it's on my roadmap, after I replace my 15 year old QNAP, and I'm interested in replacing it with something smaller/cheaper than the 6-bay NAS I have now.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
It's worth noting that Roon has it's own DSP which it very useful additional functionality but it requires more resources than your typical NAS or Raspberry PI based media server/streamer.
The resource requirement is debatable. A Pi 4 is quite capable of doing a fair bit of DSP as Moode's CamillaDSP support or the Volumio BruteFIR and CamillaDSP plugins demonstrate, and for many people it will be more than enough. They will run out of processing capability earlier than current x96_64 processors, but you probably have to be doing something unusual to reach that limit.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor

If Roon is running on your iMac, why do you need to install anything on your NAS?

OP
TLEDDY

TLEDDY

Forum Donor
why do you need to install anything on your NAS
The Roon sight has the Nucleus, advertised as the best way to use Roon. I had the NAS and decided to try it.
I think I will just use the iMac alone…works ok and no more hassle.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Intel NUCs have been a blessing for our home devices on the Microsoft turf-side of the equation.
I have a NUC8 and a NUC10 (of the Intel i7 line).
Beware, as my results to use it as a part of an HTPC is not having the results I expected from the newer NUC10, as it cannot handle video streams that are H.265 and/or 4K video. There are some eGPUs (external graphics card/cages) made for such needs but the costs are not justifiable for my needs (IMHO).
I have a MyCloud EX2 Ultra (dual drive) and Roon refuses to load. Roon and NUCs like each other.

Last edited:

Wicky

The resource requirement is debatable. A Pi 4 is quite capable of doing a fair bit of DSP as Moode's CamillaDSP support or the Volumio BruteFIR and CamillaDSP plugins demonstrate, and for many people it will be more than enough. They will run out of processing capability earlier than current x96_64 processors, but you probably have to be doing something unusual to reach that limit.
You are quite right, I should have really said Roon requires these resources, in fact it's a combination of DSP, mutliroom and other functionality they provide.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Here are some links to help. Google is your friend :)

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
You are quite right, I should have really said Roon requires these resources, in fact it's a combination of DSP, mutliroom and other functionality they provide.
Even so its hardware requirements seem very steep compared to daphile (so LMS, doing multiroom and DSP for as many locally connected players as you have, but not video or multichannel). I assume they're covering themselves for the exceptional loads like converting multichannel dsd to pcm before doing a monstrously long convolution, rather than just being spectacularly inefficient.

Top Bottom