• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Roon 2.0 Launched Today - Adds Mobile Listening

elberoth

uPnP and port forwarding enabled on router is a show stopper for me. Too much of a security risk.

Eneko

Mmnnn… Probably I’m doing something wrong, but I can’t see the way to play artists randomly using the new app… Do you know if it is possible?

Music1969

Major Contributor
Lots of concern around the web about router security with new Roon ARC

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Security issues?

Needs UPnP and port forwarding enabled on router? Not thanks...
It doesn't need UPnP at all. It just reuses the same port. UPnP is the problem, not having a port sit out there for Roon to use.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Port forwarding doesn't increase risk ?
The only risk is Roon having a security issue. Being such a niche software, I don't see folks going after it.

Music1969

Major Contributor
The only risk is Roon having a security issue. Being such a niche software, I don't see folks going after it.
Noted.

To me this is increasing risk then.

But people will have to decide if it's a tiny risk for them or too much.

Dennis_FL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Was an early adopter of Roon, still use and love it. Most of the time now, I stream new music or use internet radio in the car. Still will try the new Roon app.
Qobuz and Tidal has rendered a lot of my stored music unnecessary. I have about 1TB of classical and jazz, but now prefer the better quality of modern recordings.

I also use Tidal when away. In fact, I once thought the new streaming services were going to overwhelm the need for Roon & JRiver. I'm pretty sure I'll still use Tidal and not Roon away from home.

Last edited:

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So you run a server 24/7 at your home, even when you are not there, just to have access to the Roon-overlay for your Tidal-account or your self-recorded music, that isn't available there, on the commuter train? That does not sound very efficient to me. Or what am i missing?

euge_lee

So you run a server 24/7 at your home, even when you are not there, just to have access to the Roon-overlay for your Tidal-account or your self-recorded music, that isn't available there, on the commuter train? That does not sound very efficient to me. Or what am i missing?
Fair comment... I only have port forwarding and as an IT guy, I'm not too concerned about that for a few reasons. Maybe not much value now but once ARC supports sending DSP'd streams... it will be great for an office or other remote setup outside the home.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

+1

I had the same thoughts but didn't want to burst anyone's bubble...

Peace.

mrbungle

Most Roon users already have their servers and endpoints running 24/7. It’s convenient to turn on your DAC and it immediately pops up in your Roon remote and you’re ready to go. Might not be the most energy efficient, but with an Intel NUC and Raspberry Pi’s it’s really not a big deal.

And if you’re exclusively using streaming services, I understand you don’t see the point, but if you have a local library, it’s nice to have it available on the go.

Dennis_FL

Forum Donor
For a trial run, I'm going to try

Roon Arc ( iPhone 13) ----> Oppo HA-2 DAC ----> Truthear Crinacle Zero IEM

And will report back

Reactions: Ata

Dennis_FL

Forum Donor
For a trial run, I'm going to try

Roon Arc ( iPhone 13) ----> Oppo HA-2 DAC ----> Truthear Crinacle Zero IEM

And will report back
It worked....it shows as lossless through the iPhone output (lightening to USB converter) and my portable DAC took it from there.

Attachments

• IMG_D9BD1741B064-1.jpeg
    IMG_D9BD1741B064-1.jpeg
    90.9 KB · Views: 62

TulseLuper

Forum Donor
Most Roon users already have their servers and endpoints running 24/7.
Mine runs on my NAS which is of course always on and so are my Bluesound Nodes. It’s just always ready.

I’d like easy consolidated access to my library and Qobuz, I do not like the Qobuz app, and Plex made a complete mess of my library. Not hard to see why this has been a very commonly requested feature.

Dennis_FL

Forum Donor
Fair comment... I only have port forwarding and as an IT guy, I'm not too concerned about that for a few reasons. Maybe not much value now but once ARC supports sending DSP'd streams... it will be great for an office or other remote setup outside the home.
I suppose they can link to Tailscale for vpn security

john5

Yeah what a let down. The core concept is quite cool, I was all invested until I saw the setup notes.

NAT from the internet? I nearly spat out my drink.

The shame is they could have done some clever networking here by joining the outbound connection from the roon core and your phone themselves. I say clever that's the obvious way to do it if you don't want a dirty hack. I can't remember setting up port forwarding on whatsapp before but maybe that's just running on magic.

I appreciate that would cost money for roon but this is supposed to be a premium service, premium and uPnP are not phrases that naturally go together. I may take them up on it and set up an OpenVPN client from my phone. This is hardly ideal and should not be required in 2022.

mrbungle

Yeah what a let down. The core concept is quite cool, I was all invested until I saw the setup notes.

NAT from the internet? I nearly spat out my drink.

The shame is they could have done some clever networking here by joining the outbound connection from the roon core and your phone themselves. I say clever that's the obvious way to do it if you don't want a dirty hack. I can't remember setting up port forwarding on whatsapp before but maybe that's just running on magic.

I appreciate that would cost money for roon but this is supposed to be a premium service, premium and uPnP are not phrases that naturally go together. I may take them up on it and set up an OpenVPN client from my phone. This is hardly ideal and should not be required in 2022.
If you use a consumer router where the uPnP implementation is a security risk, I don’t think Roon is even close to be your main problem. Having said that, if you don’t have a good understanding of the security impact, it’s better to be paranoid and stay away.

Last edited:

Rob63

Just recently jumped on the Roon bandwagon and have been pleasantly surprised. For on the go music, I started with Subsonic which worked pretty well but required my PC on as mentioned 24/7. From there I moved to Plex since the server could run off a Shield so no PC needed. I still use Plex mobile but the Roon is a nice backup and is working great so far. I think the security issues IMHO are a bit overblown. I think as long as you use strong encryption on your home network (pretty standard now) & secure pw you'll be fine.

Top Bottom