• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Roon 2.0 Launched Today - Adds Mobile Listening

Dennis_FL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Warning: The following is a useless rant.

Every now and then, I think I should get a Roon lifetime license.
And every time, I find it too expensive.
Then I make up my mind and come back to it, eventually willing to jump the step...
To discover that the price increased ridiculously.

I like Roon idea, but hate you need a dedicated server running 24/7 for it.

I also hate subscription fee-based licenses.

I'd be ready to invest in Roon at $500 for a lifetime license. Maybe $600.
But then it became $700.
But now it's $830.

No way.

And since that will lead me nowhere, I'll stop my subscription.
And the Roon yearly subscription price increase quite a bit as well (~$150/yr) after they came out with the mobile ARC or a 5-6 year payback on the lifetime . That got my attention and I started to dust off JRiver again (I have a Plex lifetime but it skips over my DSD albums).

I really like the simplicity of Roon, especially with the user interface for albums, DSP, audio end points, and album information text. But you're right, I think the cost is getting out of hand. Especially when combined with Qobuz or Tidal costs.

I was asking myself why not just use the $30 JRiver? I lose the integration with Tidal. I lose the simplicity of Roon. I end up spending a Saturday trying to figure out how to do something in JRiver. But I save a ton of money.

Last edited:

Dennis_FL

Forum Donor
i can confirm it works perfectly with ropieee.
Yes, with DLNA? I originally had Ropieee and changed to the XL version. So nice. I sent the Ropieee programmer some money.

JoachimStrobel

Forum Donor
A lot of professional software I use has a price tag and a maintenance fee. That is the way Roon should go, should have gone. Like 500 USD flat and 10% license fee. I can not see any mechanism how the can ran on a fix cost system only - unless they invest the money in something insanely profitably. But then they should switch the business.

JoachimStrobel

Forum Donor
By providing improved functionalities that user would want to pay for ?
You mean paying development upfront and hoping that users buy in? Better: charge an annual maintenance fee and provide updates und new functions yearly.

Booker

Forum Donor
I have been using ARC since its release. Now with EQ via MUSE, according to autoeq.app for the AirPods Pro.
Yesterday I switched from iPhone 7 to 14. I was not thinking about any SQ improvement it might cause.

But is it possible to get better SQ by having a better CPU? Because I get that feeling almost immediately when I start playing.

Top Bottom