• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Roon 1.8

Slobmw

Forum Donor
Ok, I take it back. The iOS app is insufferably buggy. Playback just cuts out every few songs :mad:

Slobmw

Forum Donor
I’m curious which device you’re using? I’ve been using an iPad Pro all day and haven’t had a single crash or drop out..
6th gen iPad. No problems as a remote, but playback on the device, as I surf the inter webs, has been stop/start.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Everything I am seeing seems to be cosmetic thus far. They have a year + worth of history from me now and the "recommended new release" section in "Home" lost my interest after the first row.

Ditto.

Works fine.

Cosmetics?

It's different looking...I'm not sure it's better.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Ditto.

Works fine.

Cosmetics?

It's different looking...I'm not sure it's better.

See my later posts - they have ballsed some of the functionality up- shuffle especially.

Mulder

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have a NUC-Rock and iOS devices. After the upgrade it has become very slow. So far the interface appears to be more confusing. I have mostly been listening to classical music so far, but my first impression is that the new interface is no improvement. But I have to use it for a while first. Until then any definitive judgment would not be fair. However, in the artist view, and in other views to, when there are no photos in the icons, it is grey with just letters in it. This happens with less famous artist or albums, especially when the artists are from the non English speaking world. I think this is VERY ugly. It is not new to 1.8 however. but it have become worse in 1.8 since 1.8 are an upgrade of the visual design rather than functionality. The greyed out icons trashes in my opinion the whole appearance. This is pure cosmetic, I know, but most other software like for example Jriver builds icons from covers in the actual music-file while ROON collects them from the internet.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I dont believe so and never seen anything in the functionality to suggest it. Regardless if 1.7 had it, they would have broken it in 1.8 :facepalm:

It might be interesting to do that though. If you commit to listening in full to each!

JohnKay

I have been using Roon since 2017... Local library with 9000 tracks. 1.8 has removed Library management functionality which , to me at least, is important: We can no longer see which playlist a track belongs to. This was really imporant for me as I use playlists / tags and bookmarks to manage my library. Adding a track to playlist works but there is now no way of knowing which playlist a track belongs to. Moving a track from one playlist to another is now impossible. I can see a few unhappy posts about this in the Roon forum.

I was actually hoping / expecting for more library management functionality. Quite surprised to see it removed.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I have been using Roon since 2017... Local library with 9000 tracks. 1.8 has removed Library management functionality which , to me at least, is important: We can no longer see which playlist a track belongs to. This was really imporant for me as I use playlists / tags and bookmarks to manage my library. Adding a track to playlist works but there is now no way of knowing which playlist a track belongs to. Moving a track from one playlist to another is now impossible. I can see a few unhappy posts about this in the Roon forum.

I was actually hoping / expecting for more library management functionality. Quite surprised to see it removed.
They do seem to have removed as much as they have added, if not more. I suspect all these features made it more RAM/ CPU intensive and they may be streamlining. Bad idea!

OP
Zensō

Zensō

Major Contributor
They do seem to have removed as much as they have added, if not more. I suspect all these features made it more RAM/ CPU intensive and they may be streamlining. Bad idea!
One of the stated goals was to clean up and streamline the interface. Not saying this was necessarily a good idea, but I think it explains some of the design trade offs that were made.

Mulder

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
One of the stated goals was to clean up and streamline the interface. Not saying this was necessarily a good idea, but I think it explains some of the design trade offs that were made.
I do not think they have cleared the interface. On the contrary. It is more bloated than before. Now the interface is completely smeared with "recommendations" lengthwise and crosswise. I want a simple interface that I can design myself to some extent. If you could opt out of all recommendations, it would have been one thing, but now ROON seems to be on its way to becoming another program where the user is no longer the customer but the product.

Top Bottom