• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Roon 1.3 Adds DSP PEQ, Sonos, Multi-channel, and more

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
An EQ? Really? It's like Wow.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Most excellent. They read my mind on this one as I was going to post it as a suggestion to their forum:

2. Bought a hi-res download from HDTracks? Want to browse all of the downloaded folder’s .jpg-d cover art or .pdf-sealed liner notes? Roon 1.3’s artwork gallery browser will allow us to scroll through a folder’s numerous cover art files without ever leaving the app. The tag editor and file location browser has also been overhauled. Organised folders have been zapped.

It was silly to have the metadata available as part of download yet Roon saying it could not find it.

The Parametric EQ is also most welcome. Multi-channel is also finally here. Yippee! :D

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
A PEQ is lame. They had several threads on their forum with people requesting a convolver.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
A PEQ is lame. They had several threads on their forum with people requesting a convolver.

Wow, why so much hate?

I have use for a PEQ.

A convolver would be nice, too, but I'm not going to crap all over the release because I didn't get everything on my fantasy list.

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
PEQ vs Convolver is a silly comparison. PEQs can only do one important thing. A convolver can do the same one important thing AND 3 other important things. Building a PEQ instead of a convolver is a waste of time.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
PEQ vs Convolver is a silly comparison. PEQs can only do one important thing. A convolver can do the same one important thing AND 3 other important things. Building a PEQ instead of a convolver is a waste of time.

I'd rather have it than nothing.

astr0b0y

Are filters particularly proprietary or based on well known data? Anecdotally, Miska's filters are considered very good and he offers quite a number of different ones to use.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Are filters particularly proprietary or based on well known data? Anecdotally, Miska's filters are considered very good and he offers quite a number of different ones to use.

Who is Miska? I did graduate work in DSP and have never heard of this mathematician.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
He's the HQP dev.

Oh.

Well then I wouldn't expect much. Pretty much all "proprietary" filters are just implementations of known DSP math, bounded by the sinc function.

"Proprietary" in this context just means "pre-set configuration." It's really not that big of a deal.

Anybody who makes a genuinely new filter, with new DSP math, will probably publish it in order to get a shot at a Nobel. Or patent it.

astr0b0y

Thanks for that. Makes a lot of sense. Does that also mean that a given filter will use x amount of CPU regardless of the program implementing it?

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Thanks for that. Makes a lot of sense. Does that also mean that a given filter will use x amount of CPU regardless of the program implementing it?

Not really, no. Different processor architectures are optimized for different types of instructions sets and pipelines.

That being said, audio DSP is lazy work for pretty much any modern processor, even mobile ones. We're talking about operating on waveforms in the khz range, which is nothing compared to Mhz and Ghz operations.

Top Bottom