• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Room treatment project!

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
i have a wall i can get rid of but other than that am stuck so really the results are meaningless to a degree.. but will post so you can all laugh and be condescending.

on the up side, everyone should do this so at least someone as retarded as me doing it should encourage others to do the same.. before they spend their life savings on hi fi that will never sound its best in their sub-optimal room.

Mivera

Major Contributor
i have a wall i can get rid of but other than that am stuck so really the results are meaningless to a degree.. but will post so you can all laugh and be condescending.

on the up side, everyone should do this so at least someone as retarded as me doing it should encourage others to do the same.. before they spend their life savings on hi fi that will never sound its best in their ****** room.

Just don't put too much weight on the results after filtering out room reflections.

Mivera

Major Contributor
what does that mean? i just wasted my time buying it? it was keith's idea! if the results are not reliable then WTFP

You know what they say "ignorance is bliss" so as long as you think the result are accurate, that's all that matters. But I have compared it with instrument grade measurement gear and it falls short in the FFT resonance impulse filtering department. But it can still do everything else quite decent. If you want the real deal, this is what I suggest.

http://www.audiomatica.com/wp/?page_id=1739

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
It is a decent microphone Thomas and more than adequate for your needs, on the MiniDSP site there is a 'how to use REW software ' guide
Post the screen shot when you have it.
Keith.

Mivera

Major Contributor
It is a decent microphone Thomas and more than adequate for your needs, on the MiniDSP site there is a 'how to use REW software ' guide
Keith.

Have you done head to head comparisons with the Clio pocket, placing the mic in the same tripod, located in the same place, and running the same measurement sweeps? I find that's a highly effective method of evaluating a product. You must have a high quality known reference to compare with.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
We just need to look at the major room issues , the UMIK will be more than adequate.
Keith.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
if your down this way visiting your caravan keith you can pop in to see how BAD things are :D
tony talked about doing a RTA but it was only talk never happened. he never mentioned i could buy a 'ok' mic for £80 to get a grip on things... :mad::mad::mad: i mean why not???:mad::mad::mad: like 2 years ago before i spent loads:mad::mad::mad::mad:

he wants to upgrade my TAD D1000 :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: should i get my cup ready keith ?? :D:D

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
if your down this way visiting your caravan keith you can pop in to see how BAD things are :D
tony talked about doing a RTA but it was only talk never happened. he never mentioned i could buy a 'ok' mic for £80 to get a grip on things... :mad::mad::mad: i mean why not???:mad::mad::mad: like 2 years ago before i spent loads:mad::mad::mad::mad:

he wants to upgrade my TAD D1000 :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: should i get my cup ready keith ?? :D:D
I think he will bring his own!
Thomas hen you get your microphone ( I am not at all hurt you didn't buy it from me btw) download Diracs free trial.
BW Keith.

Mivera

Major Contributor
Thomas hen you get your microphone ( I am not at all hurt you didn't buy it from me btw) download Diracs free trial.
BW Keith.

I didn't realize you were a MiniDSP dealer. I didn't toggle through your image selection on your website to reveal the hidden wares available in your digital section. This explains why you are talking up the MiniDSP gear.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
BW Keith.
yea i got a tony box of spares(did not even get a cup for my 3k) in the loft from my amps and preamp :D it was a expensive rewire. i could of rewired a tudor mansion for what he charged :D i reckon he is your guilty cup bearer??!

what would the free trial do? i used a CDP not computer for audio??

oh, i kind of did not realise i was buying what you sell, i amazoned it. a man of your wealth and standing would not be interested in such merger dealings as a £80 usb mic.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
You have to sell a lot of carrots to make £80!
well Granadad, you wouldn't be able to use your Cd player, but just as an experiment you could download the Dirac room correction software, measurement is very straightforward , then you can ask Dirac to optimise your room.
You will need to rip a couple of CDs to your computer, it will give you an idea of what Dirac thinks your room should sound like.
BW Keith.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Keith.
Hey, hey, hey! There is a guide here that I wrote too! :D

http://www.audiosciencereview.com/f...om-measurement-tutorial-for-dummies-part-1.4/

http://www.audiosciencereview.com/f...om-measurement-tutorial-for-dummies-part-2.5/

Nothing is needed more than a cheap USB mic for room measurement so you are good to go Thomas.

Mivera

Major Contributor
Hey, hey, hey! There is a guide here that I wrote too! :D

http://www.audiosciencereview.com/f...om-measurement-tutorial-for-dummies-part-1.4/

http://www.audiosciencereview.com/f...om-measurement-tutorial-for-dummies-part-2.5/

Nothing is needed more than a cheap USB mic for room measurement so you are good to go Thomas.

The situation I'm referring to is measuring the speakers inside a room, and trying to isolate the room reflections from the sound emitting from the speakers. When I preform the same tests with the UMIK-1/REW and CLIO/MIC-1 my results don't look the same. However if I take the speaker out in the back yard, place it on a a stand on the grass and run the same tests, they are pretty much bang on.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
USB mics have latencies that can't be dialed out so if you are looking to identify them, then it won't generate the correct timing. Fortunately for room optimizations, that is not a measurement I recommend so there is no drawback.

Mivera

Major Contributor
USB mics have latencies that can't be dialed out so if you are looking to identify them, then it won't generate the correct timing. Fortunately for room optimizations, that is not a measurement I recommend so there is no drawback.

They make the claim that this test is supposed to work. Many people rely and trust the results they get using it from this as well. The mic captures the sweep, and the filtering is all done post measurement. But what happens is the sound starts coming out of the speakers before the mic starts taking the measurement. So by the time the first data is captured, there's already reflections mixed in.

Mivera

Major Contributor
It wouldnt be possible to use such a board in my setup. But you wouldn't know that because you still don't know what I'm doing.

I can't use USB input on the Mola DAC in my setup. I've talked about these items with Bruno. I feel comfortable with his knowledge of his product. I have a lot of experience with using digital crossovers and various types of setups. I'm aware of all of the things you think are compromises. I'm aware of your beliefs. I'm not interested in your ideas or suggestions, as I've said before elsewhere. I don't mean this in an angry way. I'm just very confident that I know what I'm doing. I'm also confident that I've interacted with folks who really know what they are doing and feel very comfortable with my setup.

Without anything personal what so ever. If you consider my suggestions it might be a solution to impressions like this.

Screen Shot 2016-03-18 at 9.50.37 PM.png

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
These 'remembered' impressions mean bugger all, you have to listen to the two systems in the same room at the same time, switching between the two instantly.
Keith.

Mivera

Major Contributor
These 'remembered' impressions mean bugger all, you have to listen to the two systems in the same room at the same time, switching between the two instantly.
Keith.

Best to try with the Mola Mola connected to USB interface, vs using the Hilo as a AES/EBU bridge. Also with room correction on and off.

tomelex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I am putting this here, hope no one minds. it is applicable me thinks.

Top Bottom