• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Room treatment and speaker upgrade Kef IQ90 vs R3 vs R5

andreas987

Hi! I have recently finished setting up my HT/stereo system consisting of Kef IQ90, IQ60C, IQ30 and dual SVS PC-13 ultra with upgraded amps. I'm using a Denon AVR-X4400h to drive my setup (7.2). Attached is a REW measurement of my untreated room. The room is L shaped 3,3 x 5,8m (10,8 x 19ft) listening area + 2,2 x 3,5m (7,2+11,5ft) office. I have speakers about 70cm (2,3 ft) from front wall and 55 cm (1,8ft) from side wall with a sleight toe in. MLP is centered about 2,5 meters (8,2ft) from the front speakers. Back wall is at a 20 degree angle towards the office. After doing the measurement I have increased gain of my subs by 8db by ear. Crossover is set to 150hz as I found that sounded best and gave the smoothest bass response.

I think my setup sounds really good. It sounds almost like surround playing in stereo (2.2), but i think it sounds like the different instruments/vocals are a bit smeared out across the front soundstage.

Is there any unobtrusive room treatments I could use to improve the focus of the imaging (High-ish WAF)? Absorption/diffusion of first reflection points? If so diffusion or absorption? I have read a lot about the topic and it seems opinions differ about 50/50 between absorption/diffusion. Bass traps are unfortunately not an option due to size/WAF, but I could add some absorption behind the rear speakers to try to tackle SBIR

Im also concidering upgrading my front and senter speakers to KEF R3/R5 + R2C. Every review I have read states that these are great speakers, but will there be a big audible difference from my current Kef IQ90 + IQ60C setup given the room response I have and the corrections I can do? I cannot add any treatment to the first reflection points on the left wall as the door has glass windows.

Cheers
Andreas

P.S: I posted first in the wrong forum - sorry :)
Frequency response.JPG

Frequency response smoothing.JPG

Waterfall.JPG

Room setup.jpg

Top Bottom