• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Room measurements with KEF R3

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No hurt in trying...

It's not possible to reduce RT with DRC. Bass energy ringing/prolonged decay reduction requires significant damping. You're already quite better off above 150Hz than before... Boosting EQ below the transition zone is not something I would recommend; only subtractive, if you feel that it is even necessary.

I remember you commenting on how Dirac evened out the subbas decay in the spectrogram in my room.

hemiutut

No hurt in trying...

It's not possible to reduce RT with DRC. Bass energy ringing/prolonged decay reduction requires significant damping. You're already quite better off above 150Hz than before... Boosting EQ below the transition zone is not something I would recommend; only subtractive, if you feel that it is even necessary.
I imagine you have seen the frequency response below the Schroeder frequency.

Did you really say that no equalization is needed?
Did you also see the peaks at 300 and 500 Hz?
By the way, the .mdat file comes out with a Psychoacoustic smoothing.
to at least 1/12 at these low frequencies (40 to 160 Hz).

This room-equipment if you can't put more treatment, you have to put a powerful, manual and customizable EQ.
powerful, manual and customizable.

Written with translator

Greetings

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
I imagine you have seen the frequency response below the Schroeder frequency.

Did you really say that no equalization is needed?
Did you also see the peaks at 300 and 500 Hz?
By the way, the .mdat file comes out with a Psychoacoustic smoothing.
to at least 1/12 at these low frequencies (40 to 160 Hz).

This room-equipment if you can't put more treatment, you have to put a powerful, manual and customizable EQ.

Written with translator

Greetings

If I remember correctly, the main complaint was too much low bass and excess reverb. We can't do much more of the latter. Below 150Hz, some of the peaks in one speaker are offset by the dips in the other, balancing out the summed amplitude. While I do still see FR peaks at 300 and 500 Hz, the data is still only from a single point measurement. I'd rather see the result from MMM measurements for more targeted corrections above that area if deemed necessary.

OP
M

Marcin

Correct- No more acoustic treatment. Only digital correction now.

While I do still see FR peaks at 300 and 500 Hz, the data is still only from a single point measurement. I'd rather see the result from MMM measurements for more targeted corrections above that area if deemed necessary.

How should those measurements be done? Are there any guidelines here at ASR?

Jdunk54nl

Addicted to Fun and Learning

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
Correct- No more acoustic treatment. Only digital correction now.

How should those measurements be done? Are there any guidelines here at ASR?

Moving microphone measurement/method (MMM) or an averaged set of moving microphone measurements is similar to what one would get after one averages several multi-point measurements together. I get similar results from averaging three MMM takes per channel across my couch (center, left, and right seats) to that of over a hundred sweeps RMS averaged. You could also just focus in on one position: the center main listening position.

Also written instructions with pictures by dominikz here:

Even then, some peaks may look worse than they really are perceptually so I wouldn't always necessarily flatten everything out completely.

OP
M

Marcin

I did the measurements sitting in my main listening position and moving my microphone more less like Erin described.
Don't know if I did it OK but let's see if you can read something out of it.

Much appreciate your help with all this.

Attachments

• MMM.zip
    81.9 KB · Views: 48

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
I did the measurements sitting in my main listening position and moving my microphone more less like Erin described.
Don't know if I did it OK but let's see if you can read something out of it.

Much appreciate your help with all this.

Try the left and right EQ saved in the mdat file.

I encourage you to listen and compare with/out EQ to the LF test files provided by KSTR here for download -- esp. the 27 - 440 Hz sweep:

Low- and Mid-Frequency Test Signals for Evaluation of Room Modes (and other things)

You may want more or less gain manually adjusted based on what you actually hear with your own ears at the MLP.

Attachments

• MARCIN MMM TEST EQ 1.png
    MARCIN MMM TEST EQ 1.png
    44 KB · Views: 80
  • MARCIN MMM TEST EQ 2.png
    MARCIN MMM TEST EQ 2.png
    42.7 KB · Views: 71
  • MARCIN SINGLE FDW 15 EQ 1.png
    MARCIN SINGLE FDW 15 EQ 1.png
    45.4 KB · Views: 76
  • MARCIN SINGLE FDW 15 EQ 2.png
    MARCIN SINGLE FDW 15 EQ 2.png
    45.5 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
Sorry, forgot the file:

Attachments

• MARCIN TEST EQ CORRECTION.zip
    1.3 MB · Views: 51
OP
M

Marcin

Try the left and right EQ saved in the mdat file.

I encourage you to listen and compare with/out EQ to the LF test files provided by KSTR here for download -- esp. the 27 - 440 Hz sweep:

Low- and Mid-Frequency Test Signals for Evaluation of Room Modes (and other things)

You may want more or less gain manually adjusted based on what you actually hear with your own ears at the MLP.
Thanks.
I didn't know it's possible to have EQ for separate channels in Equalizer APO. Cool.

Top Bottom