• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Room Measurement Tutorial for Dummies Part 2

nathan

Right but are you checking what your room correction software did? Are you trying to check whether you have selected a good crossover?

In any event there isnt enough detail to say much for sure because of the scale of the y axis, but even if the scale is improved, one would still need to know what you are seeking to evaluate with your measurements.

Goldenyears

Thanks Nathan. Don't have any room correction software. These are just straight from the speaker.

nathan

Cool. Well if you can correct the scale and label the lines that would make it easier to comment.

Goldenyears

Does this help?
spl.jpg

slpagain.jpg

nathan

Much better in terms of scale.

You have truncated the labels which appear at the bottom of the screen, so one can only guess at what the different colors mean.

But in general that looks like a good in room response.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Could you use VAR or 1/12 smoothing. One can better see what happens at low frequencies.

At what distance did you record this?

Anechoically flat speakers in an average room at non-near field listening distance usually exhibit a roll off of about 0.5 to 1 dB/octave. A flat in-room response is often perceived as too bright.

How does it sound to you?

Goldenyears

7' 8" measuring distance. Can listen endlessly.
Heres Var & 1/12. I appreciate your feedback.
var.jpg

onetwelve.jpg

Dennis_FL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
D

Deleted member 35357

The guide got me interested enough to fool around with it with a webcam microphone to see the general response of my speakers but it wasn't optimal so decided to buy a miniDSP UMIK-2.

A new better microphone for measurements!

Will wait for it's arrival and then try more PEQ (APO) to see the response unless I figure out the other ways this REW software is supposed to create it's room correction.

Thanks for the guide even if it's not updated for a while! Was a useful one to get up and started with the way it's supposed to be used.

Even without a part3 there seems to be more than enough info here to get one on the way anyway.
The webcam mic showed some serious issues so hope the apropriate tool will show the better details of what needs to be done.

Top Bottom