• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Room Measurement Tutorial for Dummies Part 1

nathan

Good point. There are tons of resources these days.

I suspect the desire folks express here for a part 3 of this guide by Amir is less about "I can't find opinions about reading REW results" and more about "I find lots of opinions, many of which contradict one another, and I trust Amir's view to be informed by science."

ArturoKiwi

Good point. There are tons of resources these days.

I suspect the desire folks express here for a part 3 of this guide by Amir is less about "I can't find opinions about reading REW results" and more about "I find lots of opinions, many of which contradict one another, and I trust Amir's view to be informed by science."
Exactly!

aladar

Hi everybody, I’ve many questions about REW, I hope someone can help me to find the right setup.
First of all, I only need a stereo EQ. I use a Mac book , hooked to an external DAC via USB. The DAC goes to the pre amplifier with XLR and then the last one to the amplifier.
Is it possible to use REW to equalize my system ? Do I need a plug-in for the player (jriver or Audirvana) ?
Very special thanks
Daniele

nathan

REW doesn't EQ. It measures. Then you use those measurements to know what to EQ.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
REW doesn't EQ. It measures. Then you use those measurements to know what to EQ.

REW doesn't perform EQ, but it will calculate filter values for you to try elsewhere.

aladar

thanks a lot for the replies ! So if I Would go with something that performs an EQ I have to look to Dirac live for example ?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
So if I Would go with something that performs an EQ I have to look to Dirac live for example ?

That would be one, usually costly, solution.

REW can create filters to be fed into numerous devices/softwre, as a "download" or by copying values manually.

I'm not familiar with most them, so, I'll leave it to somebody else to comment on a "get started for free" path if that is a goal.

1619558810387.png

djigibao

When you made your EQ graph in REW just export filter settings as text and then import in Equalizer APO

Clipboard01.jpg

astcal

Forum Donor
I couldn't find "Room Measurement Tutorial for Dummies Part 3". Did I miss something?

Below is my measurement of my study room with Neumann KH 80 and Lewitt LCT 140 microphone at my listening position. I think I need "Part 3" to explain what is going on:

View attachment 126148

Here is the new measurement with Neumann KH 750 subwoofer + KH 80 and calibrated by Neumann MA-1 kit:

Screenshot 2021-05-14 KH750+80.png

For the first time, I can hear the true full range integration of subwoofer with desktop monitors in both amplitude and phase. This is why I admire Neumann for their engineering and workmanship. Fantastic!

Last edited:

djigibao

...can you set graph for 1/12 and strech dB to larger scale (50-55-60-65....)?

Dennis_FL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I've got Mac Big Sur 11.4 on a laptop and an iMac. REW installs fine on the laptop but hangs on the iMac. Argh. I guess I'll temporarily use the laptop to get the room corrections.

One puzzle I had was the REW initially couldn't find the mike. It was set up properly in Sytem Settings for REW but after 15 minutes of hunting, I found the REW "Properties" had a pull down menu for setting the mic to the laptop mic.

Last edited:

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
Absolutely not. I mean you can try but it will certainly not give good results. You need to position the mic at tweeter height, so how would you do that with a laptop, plus the mic is probably optimized for speech and certainly not calibrated.

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I have just DL REW. I have no mic. Can I just use laptop mic?
If you want to use it with REW to learn how to it works, etc; that would be fine. It might even be OK for showing up large room modes in the base range and lightly mod'ing them. I for sure wouldn't use it to introduce any boost due to it's information.
If you really want to start doing any room correction you should invest a $100 in the umik, it's more than worth the money.
You already got a $1,000 worth of software for free in the case of REW ;)

GimeDsp

umik is great, measures same as buddies sf 101$$$$. Just keep it away from heat and moisture. Lol

oversky

Should I apply the EQ from speaker measurement first and do REW room measurement, EQ in the second step?
Or just ignore speaker measurements and go REW room measurement, EQ directly?

djigibao

Logically, you have to measure the irregularities first so you can correct them, right?

Top Bottom