• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Room EQ - do we need it?

Do you have room EQ in place with your speakers?

• Total voters

Oukkidoukki

Hi,

Is there dac available that have this room correction function? With mic and so on....

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
We have two opposing views (that people don't necessarily recognise consciously).
  1. We must modify the source(s) so that what reaches the listener's ear is as close to a specified (smoothed) frequency response as possible (but not time/phase response because this is considered just 'de-correlated chaos'). OR
  2. The speaker must be small (in relative terms) and neutral (anechoic frequency response, dispersion)
For (1), many, many different approaches can meet the goal including electronic EQ, phased arrays, reverse phase sources (even if that's just the backwave from the driver), resonators, acoustic panels. The aim is to patch together enough bits of frequency response material to fill the FFT bins to the right levels when making the measurement. A bit of a dip here? Change the value of that resistor, or aim that driver in a different direction. Ah, that looks better.

Whereas (2) is so simple that it gives the impression that it's either going to be right (perfect in fact) or vastly inferior to the patch-and-mend approach. If a convincing example of (2) can be found that people seem to love the sound of, it's an indication that it's probably right.

I seem to be unable to help myself here ;) But I don't see the options as mutually exclusive.

I.e. couldn't we also have an option (3):
  • Begin with a good room and something resembling (2);
  • Adjust as needed in the modal region and/or add subs to achieve (1)
?

OP
Krunok

Krunok

Major Contributor
if u cannot afford to make ur room ugly with sound absorbing panels, then try room EQ/phase adjustments. Best results achieved with DSP. My Yamaha 683 AV receiver has it. Cannot say that it makes a big difference in my case. It just overall- equalizes/levels/distances speakers, plus tries its best to room EQ. And ye u would achieve best results if this applied to subwoofer as well as speakers. 20-300Hz sounds right. I don't think Yamaha does proper adjustments for subwoofer. Pioneer's MCAC does, I think.

Have you tried to measure the response after the correction to check how good joob your receiever did?

Does anybody know if Dirac Live has a feature to make control measurement or you are left with the predicted response?

Top Bottom