• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Room eigenmodes calculator

ylio

Hi all! I want to share this application to calculate and evaluate the natural frequencies of rooms modeled in 3D.

At the moment, the application does not consider materials, only rigid surfaces, but it is a very useful tool to evaluate the eigenmodes in irregular rooms. It is recommended to make the models in sketchup (they can be done for free with sketchup online), export in .stl format and import them in the simulator.

It allows calculating the Schroeder frequency (manually entering the Tmid) and there is an excel spreadsheet to evaluate the modal distribution according to Bonello's criterion.

In the following link there is a detailed tutorial. I hope it works for you!

https://github.com/Ylio7/room_eigenmodes_simulator

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Exactly the sort of premium content for which we come to ASR!

Keened

Forum Donor
Any particular reason why 20hz is the lower boundary? As in it will take longer to compute or it will crash?

OP
Y

ylio

Any particular reason why 20hz is the lower boundary? As in it will take longer to compute or it will crash?
Nothing in particular, just a general recommendation. You can put any value in that field without problems. What's more, it is not rigorous, it only defines an approximate value of minimum frequencies, since frequencies below the one that the user set as the minimum may appear in the results.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I just tried running it on Crossover on the Mac, sadly it would not install the runtime. Traced it to some font issue:

Exception: java.lang.Error: Probable fatal error:No fonts found. (rethrown as com.comsol.util.exceptions.FlException) Messages: Probable fatal error:No fonts found. Stack trace: at sun.font.SunFontManager.getDefaultPhysicalFont(SunFontManager.java:1236) at sun.font.SunFontManager.initialiseDeferredFont(SunFontManager.java:1106) at sun.font.CompositeFont.doDeferredInitialisation(CompositeFont.java:287) at sun.font.CompositeFont.getSlotFont(CompositeFont.java:376)

Hopefully, I can resolve that. Quite excited (pun intended) to see what it does for my room :)

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Okay, resolved the font issue, but now it still won't restart, the application just crashed on startup.

OP
Y

ylio

I just tried running it on Crossover on the Mac, sadly it would not install the runtime. Traced it to some font issue:

Exception: java.lang.Error: Probable fatal error:No fonts found. (rethrown as com.comsol.util.exceptions.FlException) Messages: Probable fatal error:No fonts found. Stack trace: at sun.font.SunFontManager.getDefaultPhysicalFont(SunFontManager.java:1236) at sun.font.SunFontManager.initialiseDeferredFont(SunFontManager.java:1106) at sun.font.CompositeFont.doDeferredInitialisation(CompositeFont.java:287) at sun.font.CompositeFont.getSlotFont(CompositeFont.java:376)

Hopefully, I can resolve that. Quite excited (pun intended) to see what it does for my room :)
Here is an macOS version, but I have never try it: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ukHKf7OULiHgOcgm-fGQuhzy9iqxdCc4/view?usp=sharing
I would love to get feedback on this version, mainly to achieve all the features that the Windows version has.

For windows, this .exe has the runtime included, you can try it: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WuSCf06blz57-gtABkeXMThsOjKkl0u_/view?usp=share_link

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Cool, will try both :)

Edit:

The packed Windows version dies the same way as the normal version did in Crossover.

The macOS version starts :) I'll explore!

OP
Y

ylio

Cool, will try both :)

Edit:

The packed Windows version dies the same way as the normal version did in Crossover.

The macOS version starts :) I'll explore!
Ok, so it must be something because of the use of Crossover... Any comments about the macOS version will be very useful!

neRok

I was just playing around with this program. It's very interesting. Could I suggest some seemingly simple feature upgrades?
  1. Ability to disable the "Levels" slider feature so that "blobs" don't appear.
  2. Enable "scroll on hover" for the Eigenfrequency selector (you can currently scroll it, but only whilst it is "in focus" (ie. after having already clicked it)).
  3. Link the table to the selector so that clicking on a frequency in the table renders that frequency (or maybe on dbl click).
  4. Add a column in the table for the max pressure.
  5. It would be really nice to be able to drop a "sample point" in the model (or many for speakers+listener positions) and have the pressure at that point appear as a column too.

Top Bottom