• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Room dimensions & shape

Manojrc

Dear all,

I’m planning to buy a custom designed house & builder offers dedicated room for music listening option.
I’ll be setting up for 2 channel (2.1 may be ) system strictly for music. The system I’m dreaming of buying is JBL M2 & SUB18. My current speaker is Rethm Saadhana which is a high efficiency speaker system.

The builder allows me to go for a dedicated room for music up to 600 sqft ( flexible L & W).
The ceiling height is 10 ft but it’s not flat. It’s more like /\. So the dimension varies from 10 ft to 15 ft ( tallest middle portion ) & this is part of elevation & can’t be changed. The pic of the room is attached here for your reference ( from brochure). We can go for false ceiling to make it even (10 ft), if required. My plan is to avoid windows & keep just one door. The walls will be constructed using cement blocks, then cement plaster. ( This can be customized since it’s the top most floor ). Since this gonna be in a community & there will be adjacent houses, sound proofing is a must.

Now with this info & constraints, please suggest the optimum shape & size (W x L) of the room.

Acoustic treatment can also be discussed, but main requirement is to finalize the dimensions/shape first.

Please help..

Thank you..

-M

Attachments

• 79901CE5-3C1F-4ADD-83DF-CD3523762997.jpeg
    79901CE5-3C1F-4ADD-83DF-CD3523762997.jpeg
    388.2 KB · Views: 95

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Basically, the more irregular the better.

Width, depth and height should be distinctly different from each other.
If possible, go for a trapezoidal floor plan (narrow side in front I would have thought), and a false ceiling rising from front to back. If you can get the back wall slightly tilted from left to right as well, you should be pretty much set. You don't really need any extreme angles, something like 5° between opposing surfaces may do fine, but if you can do 10°, sure.

So roughly like this ;)

You do generally want left and right symmetry ahead of you though.

For the details, you may want to consult someone who does this sort of stuff for a living, they'll no doubt have a few more tricks up their sleeve.

Last edited:
Top Bottom