• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Room corrections by math based on a known speaker response?

cbracer

Forum Donor
Newbie question for measuring frequency response, I have a few basic questions. Not looking for an absolute perfect world answer but a general yes or no.
1) If I am testing a speaker which Amir tested, and I subtract my response curve in my room from his response curve, wouldn't that be a "room correction" that could be applied to obtain a frequency response curve, and applied to other speakers within reason? Or am I being too simplified and missing the boat entirely?
2) For comparing speakers, the room response is not all that important as the two speakers can be graphed and the difference is what I'm looking to compare?
3) Would it be correct to develop a DSP filter to correct the room response to match a known speaker to Amir's test results? Knowing that the region in the lower base may not be possible to fix due to the room.
4) I have REV installed, and a UMM-6 mic, done a few test runs. If I wanted to measure a speaker that only plays via Airplay2, I can't figure out how to get REV to output Airplay of course,.... so can I play a test tone and have REV record it with the timing stamp turned off? I need to read up on room corrections or his part 3 if that's out yet.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
1 - no. Different speakers will interact with your room in different ways (EG front or rear mounted port, positions of drive units etc). You can only equalise a room and a speaker together. And that equalisation will be invalidated if the speakers are moved.

2 - Room response is dominant at low frequencies. It is very difficult to realistically compare speakers in a room which is not anechoic.

3 - You need to measure the room together with the speaker, in the position you have it. It is not possible to predict how a room and speaker will interact based on curves measured elsewhere.

4 - You could use somthing like airfoil to send computer audio to airplay. But there is a significant delay. I'm not sure how REW can cope with that for swept frequency measurements. It might work better for pink noise measurements. Doesn't your airplay speaker have an input jack? Mine do.

Top Bottom