• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Room correction solutions

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
Something I haven't had much like with is finding online examples of people setting up/installing Dirac on PCs...talking about hardware requirements, snags, tips...things like that. Right now, I don't know if I could run Dirac on a Celeron or an i9...how much RAM, etc etc.

I am beta testing Dirac Live Processor Standalone right now. I can't speak to your processors, but on my older AMD 8 core 3.5GHz CPU, it consumes less than 1% CPU on average in a single core during playback. It uses just under 20MB RAM. It works well and supports ASIO for bit perfect playback. It also does not resample prior to DSP, according to what I have read. Looks like the price will be $350.

I do not work for Dirac and do not know the release date.

Dirac.png

TaskMgr.png

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
Yes. Of course.

You can add several control points (up to 12?) and adjust with fine precision. I needed 6 to draw a Harman-like target.

Dirac.png

Dirac.png

OP
ck42

ck42

Forum Donor
@Steve Dallas
Interesting. How does Dirac Live Processor Standalone differ from the current PC-based solution? (Or am I maybe unclear about Dirac's implementation options here?)

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
@Steve Dallas
Interesting. How does Dirac Live Processor Standalone differ from the current PC-based solution? (Or am I maybe unclear about Dirac's implementation options here?)

The Standalone Processor functions as a Virtual Audio Device. You configure it as a wrapper for your target physical device. When you select the Processor as your output device in Windows, audio is routed through the Processor and to the physical device. It supports Direct Sound and ASIO at least. I use ASIO and have not investigated using it with WASAPI.

Obviously, to use ASIO, you need compatible hardware and a compatible driver.

OP
ck42

ck42

Forum Donor
So that is essentially how I *thought* that the current Dirac PC-based solution worked...and is something I'd be interested in.
So quick follow up question, how does this new beta solution differ from the current PC-based offering?

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
So that is essentially how I *thought* that the current Dirac PC-based solution worked...and is something I'd be interested in.
So quick follow up question, how does this new beta solution differ from the current PC-based offering?

The current offerings are packaged as VST or AAX plugins, which require a host to function. It is more difficult to make them work system-wide. The new standalone processor is natively system-wide.

OP
ck42

ck42

Forum Donor
Interesting.
So, if I go with a PC-based solution, it sounds like what I would actually be wanting is this new version you're testing.
I know you said you don't have any ETA information, but is this something we should expect in the next year? Next 6 months?

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
Interesting.
So, if I go with a PC-based solution, it sounds like what I would actually be wanting is this new version you're testing.
I know you said you don't have any ETA information, but is this something we should expect in the next year? Next 6 months?

Being that it is in beta, I imagine it will be released in a few weeks or months, assuming the business decision is "Go!" When the beta ends, I plan to purchase it, assuming I can use 1 license for 2 PCs at home.

There are workarounds to make the current plugins function system-wide, such as a standalone VST host and Virtual Cable. But they are not as seamless.

OP
ck42

ck42

Forum Donor
Appreciate the info on this. This would certainly provide a Dirac solution for a PC providing the source material, but I'm wondering if a PC could be setup such that it takes in SPDIF from an upstream source, process it, then spit out the Dirac-processed SPDIF....essentially a PC-based version of the SHD Studio. The SPDIF-OUT part is a no-brainer, but CAN this new Dirac solution take an external SPDIF signal as its input? If so, I could just put together a low power mITX system that has SPDIF input capability. It seems though that finding a 'device' to provide SPDIF input is not super easy. Vantec does have an external 7.1 adapter though that supports SPDIF toslink In and Out...and cost less than $30....but there's not a whole lot more that I'm finding.
But then there's the cost factor: PC, Windows license, SPDIF-input adapter, Dirac Live....after adding all of that up, we're coming REAL close to the cost of the SHD Studio.

Lorenzo74

Appreciate the info on this. This would certainly provide a Dirac solution for a PC providing the source material, but I'm wondering if a PC could be setup such that it takes in SPDIF from an upstream source, process it, then spit out the Dirac-processed SPDIF....essentially a PC-based version of the SHD Studio. The SPDIF-OUT part is a no-brainer, but CAN this new Dirac solution take an external SPDIF signal as its input? If so, I could just put together a low power mITX system that has SPDIF input capability. It seems though that finding a 'device' to provide SPDIF input is not super easy. Vantec does have an external 7.1 adapter though that supports SPDIF toslink In and Out...and cost less than $30....but there's not a whole lot more that I'm finding.
But then there's the cost factor: PC, Windows license, SPDIF-input adapter, Dirac Live....after adding all of that up, we're coming REAL close to the cost of the SHD Studio.
Few years ago I was looking at the same solution. I had at that time diraclive 1.0pc version demo and coupled with aureon xfire 8.0 (7.1 amd spdif in and out). Unfortunatly diraclive 1.0 didn’t “see” spdif. Only the 7.1 analog output. So beware before buy the licence, try it.

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor

There it value in the simplicity of the SHD Studio. It just works with no fuss.

I do not know if there is sufficient input routing to use the Standalone Processor with a SPDIF input device. This is not a use case I have tested. I use Amazon Music HD and foobar2000 as players on my PC. Both have the Dirac Processor selected as their default outputs, which wraps my DAC's ASIO USB drivers.

OP
ck42

ck42

Forum Donor
Few years ago I was looking at the same solution. I had at that time diraclive 1.0pc version demo and coupled with aureon xfire 8.0 (7.1 amd spdif in and out). Unfortunatly diraclive 1.0 didn’t “see” spdif. Only the 7.1 analog output. So beware before buy the licence, try it.

Yep, and I WOULD certainly make sure that the SPDIF input was supported before purchasing. Sounds like it's just an unknown at this point. Appreciate the feedback though.

OP
ck42

ck42

Forum Donor
There it value in the simplicity of the SHD Studio. It just works with no fuss.

I do not know if there is sufficient input routing to use the Standalone Processor with a SPDIF input device. This is not a use case I have tested. I use Amazon Music HD and foobar2000 as players on my PC. Both have the Dirac Processor selected as their default outputs, which wraps my DAC's ASIO USB drivers.
Agreed. Even if the DIY solution was $100-$200 cheaper, it would actually be a closer race than that because I'd place additional value on the fact that the SHD Studio is a purpose build AIO solution that I would have to 'shoe-horn' together to make work.

kiwifi

For subs, I am planning to use a QSC DSP-4 for room mode PEQ. It will also handle cross-overs and delays if needed.

Used in combination with measurements from REW, it's the cheapest solution I have found (under $100ea on eBay) for accurate sub EQ.

Shoaibexpert

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi, just seeking an update. Did the standalone DIRAC out device (latest version) got released and has anyone used it in comparisyto REW? Is it be able to be selected as an out put in Roon or in native Tidal app? I have a 2.1 setup, would a 2 channel Dirac cut it or would I need to buy multichannel? Thanks

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Top Bottom