• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Room correction recommendation sought.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Good evening,
I’m hoping for a recommendation on a solution for room correction. I have 2 front ends, an Allo usbridge signature/ qutest dac and a turntable, feeding an integrated amp and harbeth p3esr speakers. I’m wondering if there is anything I can do to introduce room correction into the system. The minidsp shd studio looks interesting. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Good evening,
I’m hoping for a recommendation on a solution for room correction. I have 2 front ends, an Allo usbridge signature/ qutest dac and a turntable, feeding an integrated amp and harbeth p3esr speakers. I’m wondering if there is anything I can do to introduce room correction into the system. The minidsp shd studio looks interesting. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

If your integrated amp has pre out and then amp in (often with a little jumper between them) this is pretty easy with a minidsp box. I like the minidsp software but for room correction you will need measurements and so on.

OP
Phorize

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Get the regular version if you want to do all the work yourself, or Dirac if you want it automated and probably better than you can do yourself.

A800

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thanks, they have this on amazon on the U.K. for £200. Looks like a bargain.
It's a bargain even at the regular price.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
It's a bargain even at the regular price.

I picked one of the Beringer DEQ2496's a while ago off eBay, thinking it might be fun to play around with after reading about it on here recently. Looks like it could be a great way to integrate as many subs as you want, especially since you can mix/match analog and digital ins/outs.

The minidsp 4x10 (or their 2x8 kit and variations) is another little box that looks like it could serve quite a few useful functions.

rvsixer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Good evening,
I'm not seeing how a SHD Studio would fit into your system (digital only, but you have analog sources). I can see the SHD fitting in with its ADC conversion for your turntable, but keep in mind it could also displace your current DAC and duplicate some of your integrated amp functions i.e. volume control, input switching, etc. (for the better imo).

Last edited:

QMuse

Major Contributor
Good evening,

That can work assuming you use phono AD converter to convert analog turntable signal to digital. That is not a problem from sound quality point of view as you can easilly find such AD converter that will do it in a completely transparent fashion. If in doubt regarding audibilty of AD conversion try to find a post about experiment of 6+ successive conversions @Blumlein 88 performed and described some time ago.

EDIT: @Phorize This is something you can usee assuming you're using MM.

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That can work assuming you use phono AD converter to convert analog turntable signal to digital. That is not a problem from sound quality point of view as you can easilly find such AD converter that will do it in a completely transparent fashion. If in doubt regarding audibilty of AD conversion try to find a post about experiment of 6+ successive conversions @Blumlein 88 performed and described some time ago.
I did this at two different times with different DACs and ADCs. I think the files are still up for download.

1st one:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...dac-loop-vs-the-original-can-you-hear-it.448/

2nd one:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-choose-the-8th-generation-digital-copy.6827/

In each case you get a 30 second snippets some of which are the digital original and some of which are an 8th generation DAC to ADC copy which passed through the analog realm in each generation.

In any case, once you get an AD conversion of the turntable everything else is digital and you then have several workable options to implement room correction.

QMuse

Major Contributor
I did this at two different times with different DACs and ADCs. I think the files are still up for download.

1st one:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...dac-loop-vs-the-original-can-you-hear-it.448/

2nd one:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-choose-the-8th-generation-digital-copy.6827/

In each case you get a 30 second snippets some of which are the digital original and some of which are an 8th generation DAC to ADC copy which passed through the analog realm in each generation.

Thank you, excellent experiment!

OP
Phorize

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

1st one:

2nd one:

In any case, once you get an AD conversion of the turntable everything else is digital and you then have several workable options to implement room correction.

I’m tempted to replace my usbridge/ qutest with the minidsp shd and run the tt through it. One box and it’s all fixed. Probably a silly question. Would there be much benefit with speakers that only go to 70hz or so?

OP
Phorize

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m tempted to replace my usbridge/ qutest with the minidsp shd and run the tt through it. One box and it’s all fixed. Probably a silly question. Would there be much benefit with speakers that only go to 70hz or so?

one does wonder whether at that point I should just get some active speakers, ditch the tt and live in the 21st century:)

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
one does wonder whether at that point I should just get some active speakers, ditch the tt and live in the 21st century:)

You may be onto something there...

Top Bottom