• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Room correction for Tidal through computer to DAC without Roon or DSP hardware?

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Thanks for your tip and that from @phoenixdogfan , so the problem with lesser CPU is mainly with the video?

Is the USB audio output quality also worse with such cheap CPU's, like compared to an i5 PC or with an iPad/ Android all playing the same Tidal audio track?
USB Audio. Look at the streaming rates. Computers are bored streaming audio (only) data. See above, a RasPi3 will do just fine.

dadregga

Roon's annual subscription is expensive for me if network streaming around the house is something I dont need. I guess I'll try JRiver first. I believe the benefit of room correction is greater than the loss of MQA for my humble setup

You can get about 4 years of Roon for 1 MiniDSP, and about 6 years for a MiniDSP + Dirac.

Roon's DSP engine is at least as good in software as the MiniDSP's hardware - plus it will do MCH DSP and a lot of other stuff the MiniDSP won't.

On balance it's one of the *cheapest* ways to get exceptionally robust and hassle-free DSP.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Regar
Thanks for your tip and that from @phoenixdogfan , so the problem with lesser CPU is mainly with the video?

Is the USB audio output quality also worse with such cheap CPU's, like compared to an i5 PC or with an iPad/ Android all playing the same Tidal audio track?
Regarding audio quality. I hear any number of people run RPI4's with Camilla Dsp (freeware) which they use for PEQ, software crossovers, and room correction with good effect. As long as you stick to just audio, almost all modern PC's including Raspberry Pi's can do the job.

OP
J

JensenW

You can get about 4 years of Roon for 1 MiniDSP, and about 6 years for a MiniDSP + Dirac.

Roon's DSP engine is at least as good in software as the MiniDSP's hardware - plus it will do MCH DSP and a lot of other stuff the MiniDSP won't.

On balance it's one of the *cheapest* ways to get exceptionally robust and hassle-free DSP.
True. This is a viable option as the miniDSP is not cheap either.

I have a CD transport with coaxial output. Is there a way I can connect it to my computer so that it benefits from software DSP before going into the DAC? I am looking for purely digital solution with no loss of quality (no worse than CD transport --> MiniDSP SHD Studio --> DAC).

Thanks

Top Bottom