• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Room Correction/EQ for "background music"

goldark

Forum Donor
I have a stereo setup currently running Infinity IL30 towers used almost entirely for background music for the rest of the house. I was thinking of using room correction/EQ to optimize the sound in the bass region.

My question is what is the optimum way to go about this, seeing as there is no main listening position? It's difficult because EQing for one area will make another area in the room sound worse. Has anyone tried this? And if so, what were your results?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a stereo setup currently running Infinity IL30 towers used almost entirely for background music for the rest of the house. I was thinking of using room correction/EQ to optimize the sound in the bass region.

My question is what is the optimum way to go about this, seeing as there is no main listening position? It's difficult because EQing for one area will make another area in the room sound worse. Has anyone tried this? And if so, what were your results?
You'll need to average the bass response to a level that is satisfying. Tune it by ear.
If using Windows install this and then install this and open the Peace Equalizer and adjust to your hearts desire.
NOTE: Disable the Peace EQ auto update for best results and then manually update every couple of months or so.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Here is a list of EQ/PEQ software that I compiled from suggestions and such if you are curious to see the various stuff.

TSB

Dirac has a "wide" option, where it tries to make the sound good in as many places as possible. My experience is that even on the medium setting it improved the sound all over te room.

OP
G

goldark

Forum Donor
Here is a list of EQ/PEQ software that I compiled from suggestions and such if you are curious to see the various stuff.
Very helpful link, thank you!

I currently don't have a measurement mic. Is it possible to use an Android app on my phone to do measurements? And if so, is there anything that you would recommend?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Very helpful link, thank you!

I currently don't have a measurement mic. Is it possible to use an Android app on my phone to do measurements? And if so, is there anything that you would recommend?
I recommend using REW for free software and a UMIK-1 for the calibrated mic.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You can use an Android app (I have Audizr installed on mine, but don't really use it for this) but it won't be very accurate. Good only for relative tweaks, but might be better than nothing.

REW is your best bet because you can average measurements. So you can take the mic around, make measurements at many spots in your house, then average them as you please to come up with an EQ curve that makes the most sense.

YSC

Major Contributor
Somehow I think that as background music which is usually not high in volume and bass response all over the place, the best is just eq the main bass boost by the immediate front/side walls as in the MLP, and leave the other reflections untouched

Top Bottom