• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Room Calibration/Correction for Stereo

Denosaur22

Question: Do you need to perform room calibration/correction for a two channel stereo system?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Room calibration/correction is important for 2 ch too. Before we used pink noise, a mic and dialed it in manually and that's crude compared to today's gear.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
You don't need to do it. But it probably is within your best interest to do so eventually if sound quality is really that important to you.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Question: Do you need to perform room calibration/correction for a two channel stereo system?
I don't see how any serious listener would leave the benefits of DSP room correction on the table and unused when it makes such a dramatic improvement. It's like purchasing a model or two of better speakers for the time and effort of analyzing and performing correction.

OP
Denosaur22

Denosaur22

I don't see how any serious listener would leave the benefits of DSP room correction on the table and unused when it makes such a dramatic improvement. It's like purchasing a model or two of better speakers for the time and effort of analyzing and performing correction.

Especially for how much we spent on the system. And all the time, energy, and effort we put into it! It sounds like we would be on the goal line without scoring a touchdown!

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was wondering do you need a 90 degree calibration file. I did with my Superlux ECM999 multiple measurments in Mathaudio Room EQ with no 90 degree calibration file. Simpy there is no such file for the ECM999. So to find out the necesaty for such file i did a horizontal an verticale measurments the graphicly measurd differnces could be hardly seen. When listening in a blind test i would not know which is on.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
I was wondering do you need a 90 degree calibration file. I did with my Superlux ECM999 multiple measurments in Mathaudio Room EQ with no 90 degree calibration file. Simpy there is no such file for the ECM999. So to find out the necesaty for such file i did a horizontal an verticale measurments the graphicly measurd differnces could be hardly seen. When listening in a blind test i would not know which is on.

Omni mics are already pretty flattish to begin with. Calibration files (mostly) will alter/adjust the shape of the slope in very low bass and very high frequencies.

The orientation matters primarily if the HF is what you want to “accurately” visualize for changes to be made.

You can get a calibrated mic for relatively cheap here:

Top Bottom