• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Room advice - Neumann KH310 / KH750 and MA1 measurement

0dB

Hi! My first post on this forum but I have been reading a lot about speakers and measurements.
Over the last few months I have been working on setting up a studio in my home for music production, I mainly make bass heavy music but ideally I just want a good listening environment.
I have setup everything myself and recently started to look into measuring the room. I am using the Neumann MA1 software with automatic room correction. I am wondering if anyone can give some advice based on the measurement I have completed with the mic - I know I should probably do a measurement in REW as well, however I am yet to learn how to use that software - if it would be helpful I can try to do a measurement in REW as well and will update the post.

I realise the room I am working with is close to a square which is not ideal.
The speakers and listening position are (close to) a 1.6m / 63inch triangle
Speakers are roughly 60cm from the walls / 26 inches
Sub is placed 1/3 of the way into the room as per Neumann suggested placement

If anyone has any advice based on the measurements, I am wondering about the peaks in the 20hz / 80hz / 150-400hz area, if I can improve them with speaker placement, or if the measurement looks pretty reasonable.

Room dimensions (inches)
Speaker layout inches.jpg

Room dimensions (mm)
Speaker layout mm.jpg
3d model of speaker placement:

Room 3d model.jpg

3d model of acoustic treatment:
Room 3d model with panels.jpg

Room with treatment:
Room treated.jpg

Measurement before correction:

Before correction.png

Measurement after correction:
After correction.JPG

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How does it sound? Do you hear the small peak at 43Hz standing out? It is pretty narrow and not very high, maybe it is fine as it is.

My first impression is, i am surprised that you don't have major nulls in the bass in this small room. Your treatment seems to work very well.
The FR looks pretty complex, though. It is not impossible that there is some room for manually tuning a bit. But the 43 Hz peak is the only thing i would look at, i think. The rest looks good so far.
An REW measurements gives you more information, like desk reflections and so on. I think it is worth the effort because it can help finding the best positions.

OP

0dB

Thanks for the reply - I will work on getting REW measurements in the next few days.

Sound wise it is very good, have only had the Neumann setup for a week following recommendations on the forum - pleased so far. Have not noticed a peak with initial listening but I haven’t used the speakers very extensively yet.

The room correction tightened up the bass a noticeable amount. It does seem like the bass is boosted considerably in the rear 1/4 of the room compared to the listening position. Really just looking to do some tweaking now as I haven’t done proper measurements in a room before!

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi! My first post on this forum but I have been reading a lot about speakers and measurements.
Over the last few months I have been working on setting up a studio in my home for music production, I mainly make bass heavy music but ideally I just want a good listening environment.
I have setup everything myself and recently started to look into measuring the room. I am using the Neumann MA1 software with automatic room correction. I am wondering if anyone can give some advice based on the measurement I have completed with the mic - I know I should probably do a measurement in REW as well, however I am yet to learn how to use that software - if it would be helpful I can try to do a measurement in REW as well and will update the post.

I realise the room I am working with is close to a square which is not ideal.
The speakers and listening position are (close to) a 1.6m / 63inch triangle
Speakers are roughly 60cm from the walls / 26 inches
Sub is placed 1/3 of the way into the room as per Neumann suggested placement

If anyone has any advice based on the measurements, I am wondering about the peaks in the 20hz / 80hz / 150-400hz area, if I can improve them with speaker placement, or if the measurement looks pretty reasonable.

Room dimensions (inches)
View attachment 265317
Room dimensions (mm)
View attachment 2653183d model of speaker placement:

View attachment 265316
3d model of acoustic treatment:
View attachment 265315
Room with treatment:
View attachment 265324
Measurement before correction:

View attachment 265323
Measurement after correction:
View attachment 265319
I think you will be ok. Yes you can double check with REW but MA1 does a good job within its designed application scope (near field monitoring) and your setup is a perfect example of such an application. (KH80/KH750/MA1 is what I use in my office).

custom

Hi, Neumann recommands the sub placement at 1/4 or 3/4 of the room width. I recommend to get REW to do some further measurements. The 1-0-0 room mode (here at 41hz) has its maximum level at the front and backwall and it's minium in between.

OP

0dB

Hi, Neumann recommands the sub placement at 1/4 or 3/4 of the room width. I recommend to get REW to do some further measurements. The 1-0-0 room mode (here at 41hz) has its maximum level at the front and backwall and it's minium in between.
I do remember reading this but for some reason I placed it at 1/3rd… will take this into account when I measure again after moving the sub!

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I do remember reading this but for some reason I placed it at 1/3rd… will take this into account when I measure again after moving the sub!
I read 1/3rd too, somewhere in a Neumann document. In the end only the result is important. You can try 1/4, but to be honest your result in bass is already surprisingly (to me) good. Much better than my setup with two KH750 in my room - i just can´t get rid of that damn 80 Hz dip.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Something doesn't look good regarding main speakers, they look unhappy (170 to 450 Hz region).
Can you pull them out a bit more (tho 60 cm from back/side wall's should have been enough).
Do separate speakers/sub measurements raw (no correction) and let us see them.
What’s the real calibration level (certainly isn't 100 dB)?

Markus @ Neumann

Audio Company
Hello, you can try pushing them as close as possible to the front wall to avoid comb filter effect and getting them a bit down so that the reflection from the rack and desk are not at ear height.
I would also move the sub to 1/4 room with and 1/4 room height.

ozzy9832001

I feel like you have a lot of treatment, and it looks nice, but it looks super thin and it's not really going to do anything for the problem frequencies. If you are going to treat the front wall, I would advise larger, thicker bass traps in both corners and the wall/ceiling run in the the back of the speakers. I'm willing to bet that's where a chunk of your mid bass problems are coming from. I'm assuming you have an 8' ceiling or close to it. Explains the peak at 140hz and while eq will fix it, once you raise the volume you'll end up with it again. I feel like your room is probably fairly dead sounding. I'd be interested to see decay times and things of that nature.

Top Bottom