• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Room acoustics options for Raspberry Pi

Berlyassocial

Forum Donor
By the way i have a umik 1 and know how to use rew for measurements. So that part is clear. Whats unknown is the technicalities connected to rpi4 setup

Berlyassocial

Forum Donor
If you have rpi try piCorePlayer firs just to get you going.

I dont have an rpi in hand. I want ro make sure it will do what im looking for before investing on one.

You know money is tight during these times

Berlyassocial

Forum Donor
SMSL SU-8 can be fed from RPI
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...pops-and-clicks-on-track-format-change.11612/
RPI can have room correction configured.

Why do you want to move to RPi?
Are you comfortable with Linux?

I want to have a low profile fixed music server so that i can just take my smartphone remote app and click play and enjoy music.

Right now i use my laptop. So everytime i have to plug it in and while music is playing i cant use the laptop because im sitting in my recliner and laptop is near the DAC. Its not practical to always have harddrive plugged in to laptop so i have to keep alot of music in laptop storage which eats up space.

I dont have any experience with linux. But im okay to learn if it doesnt sound like rocket science.

OP
D

Dr.OP

I dont have any experience with linux. But im okay to learn if it doesnt sound like rocket science.

This can be a limiting factor. I would suggest to get VirtualBox and play with Linux there. Check if you can configure Linux on VirtualBox.

Alternative would be a fan less thin client with Windows running as you already know how to configure it.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I want to have a low profile fixed music server so that i can just take my smartphone remote app and click play and enjoy music.

Right now i use my laptop. So everytime i have to plug it in and while music is playing i cant use the laptop because im sitting in my recliner and laptop is near the DAC. Its not practical to always have harddrive plugged in to laptop so i have to keep alot of music in laptop storage which eats up space.

Are you in the Apple eco system or you have windows PC and an Android phone?

Berlyassocial

Forum Donor
This can be a limiting factor. I would suggest to get VirtualBox and play with Linux there. Check if you can configure Linux on VirtualBox.

Alternative would be a fan less thin client with Windows running as you already know how to configure it.
I will look into that

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
If you've got an old PC or laptop to hand then give daphile a try, or Volumio for that matter. If you like it you can pick up an old fanless thin client for less than a bare Pi, let alone one with case and PSU. See this post for enabling brutefir through the web interface, and the rest of the thread for other daphile things. IIRC the daphile installation instructions are pretty good - the only gotcha I remember being that in order to stop you accidentally wiping out your existing OS I think it refuses to install onto a formatted drive. I think it's mentioned in the instructions, but easily missed, in which case it can lead to confusion about why it's not listing your drive as somewhere to install to. It doesn't need any linux knowledge either.

piCorePlayer's great (3 instances running here), but if you're running LMS on the pi I'm not sure how easily you can set up BrutefirDRC following those instructions, which are for LMS running on a PC somewhere on the network. piCorePlayer has some differences to most linux distros that may cause problems trying to adapt the instructions. I've not tried it though, so may be worrying over nothing. The Volumio instructions worked when I tried them a while back with an earlier version of the plugin - I assume it's only improved since then.

Berlyassocial

Forum Donor
If you've got an old PC or laptop to hand then give daphile a try, or Volumio for that matter. If you like it you can pick up an old fanless thin client for less than a bare Pi, let alone one with case and PSU. .

thank you for all the information. Really useful. Any particular cheap fanless thin clients to recommend..?

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If you will go that route though, then i definitely suggest using Roon for local file streaming, Qobuz and Tidal.

It supports room correction natively as well.

Berlyassocial

Forum Donor
If you will go that route though, then i definitely suggest using Roon for local file streaming, Qobuz and Tidal.

It supports room correction natively as well.
Im not into roon qobuz and tidal.
Let me try playing with volumio in my laptop.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Also to rephrase, Roon is a music library curator, a streamer, and a room correction engine all at once. It also supports Qobuz and Tidal on the side.

Berlyassocial

Forum Donor
Also to rephrase, Roon is a music library curator, a streamer, and a room correction engine all at once. It also supports Qobuz and Tidal on the side.
I did go through roon. But i find it expensive. Because im doing all the things it does on my foobar in a less fancy way. So paying that much for roon is not justifiable for me.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
thank you for all the information. Really useful. Any particular cheap fanless thin clients to recommend..?
I picked up a Wyse R90L for <£20. I was going to stick an SATA SSD in it, but got a good deal on an M2 NVME one which was much easier to install using a Silverstone ECM25 M2 to PCIe adapter. Be very careful if you try to save a few pennies using one of the adapters from ebay instead - all the ones I've seen are a couple of mm taller than the Silverstone, so you won't be able to get the lid back on. The ones with the older BIOS version won't boot without a keyboard attached, and Dell removed the download for the latest one a while back, but one kind owner has made it available along with update instructions. The rest of his site has details of a whole load of other thin clients, many of which should be fine alternatives - just compare the hardware specs with daphile's requirements (cpu, flash drive size, RAM), check whether they can take internal drives if that's a requirement, and see if he mentions any oddities or gotchas like the keyboard thing. It's probably easiest to see what's going cheap on ebay or similar in your area, then check back for suitability. Most of them are essentially a small PC with restricted expansion options, a small flash drive and a passive heatsink.

Christoph-ASR

Hello,
I have begun to write a generic room correction. Here are the two projects:

What still has to be done technically -> The result of the Transfer-Function-Extraction has to be inverted in the frequency domain, and then directly applied as a filter parameter to BruteFir or similar.

Would it be helpful...

Top Bottom