• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Role of the "Mind" in subjective audio evaluation???

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
So BE718 is saying he can change the sense of space which might include how much relative treble by picking different mic patterns. Which means the space you hear is up to him to a large extent. And none of them are what you would hear if your ear was where the microphones are.

This.

Frank, as mentioned have a look at this link and work your way through the descriptions of the different mic set ups at the bottom of the page

http://www.dpamicrophones.com/mic-university/principles-of-the-xy-stereo-technique

Last edited:

fas42

Major Contributor
So BE718 is saying he can change the sense of space which might include how much relative treble by picking different mic patterns. Which means the space you hear is up to him to a large extent. And none of them are what you would hear if your ear was where the microphones are.
Yes, the sense of space will change by changing the mic placement - I've already mentioned that the width of the space is very different in one arrangement; the apparent dimensions and relative level of reverb will alter with all these variations. But there are other "dimensions" to the sense of space than those - a competent playback will sometimes take one's breath away when changing the recording - you enter a completely new sound world, because "everything changes" - the better the replay, the greater the impact that new viewport has.

An absolutely precise replica of "what was there for your ears to experience" is not the point - because just moving in that location alters the perspective - say, changing seats in the concert hall - it's a meaningless concept, to me. However, the integrity of the experience, as a powerful, emotional connection to the music, where one is never aware of the apparatus making it happen, is all-important - that's the point. If I listen to a YouTube clip, and I can hear defective playback via that medium, then being there in the flesh won't improve things.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
What other dimensions Frank? Are you a time lord, Dr. Who?

What does everything changes mean?

Frank it appears to me that what you describe is purely a mental state that has very little do with the replay system. Its why you are totally incapable of articulating it in any meaningful way, because its just you being emotionally "into" the listening experience.

We all experience this, I last did listening to some earbuds driven from my phone on a plane trip two days ago. It was the music not the hifi that got me there. However, a better system may produce a more powerfull effect. If a youtube video recording of a hifi playing, which sounds totally shit to me, can get you there then fair enough. But dont come here saying it sounds good, or has useful information about how a system sounds because it simply doesnt.

Hopefully what the thread has demonstrated to you is that the music recording is a contrived and engineered experience. In this forum your personal subjective and emotional experience is never going to be paid attention to; no one else can relate to it.

Last edited:

fas42

Major Contributor
What other dimensions Frank? Are you a time lord, Dr. Who?

What does everything changes mean?
If one could in real life be instantly shifted between different actual listening spaces - teleported so to speak from one environment to another - then one would have the same reaction. Spaces have a sound even when no music is playing, and a good system signals this fact - the beginning of Neil Diamond's Hot August Night does an excellent job of conjuring in this sense ... this is an amazingly good album as an "event experience", BTW.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Frank it's not in debate that you can hear the different ambient qualities in recordings, the problem here is that you seem to believe it's an accurate representation of the recording space.....and you need an exceptional system to hear the differences.

Got to give it to you for non sensicle statements

Spaces have a sound even when no music is playing,

To hear the acoustic properties of a space sound is required.

Last edited:
Top Bottom