• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Roland Octa-capture vs. Motu M4

CristianoLO

Hi everyone.
I'm a new user here at ASR, despite being a voracious reader of the content.
I currently have a Motu Ultralite MK3 interface, however it has problems and I am not available to repair it (I am in Brazil, there is no technical support), so I need to replace it.
My question is whether to choose the Motu M4 (brand new) or the Roland Octa-Capture (used but in good condition).
I really don't need Roland's 8 IN/OUT channels, and having to use an external source and power is not practical for me.
On the other hand, Motu uses non-digital knobs for controls, with less precision (I make electroacoustic measurements to).
Basically, what one has an advantage, the other doesn't...
So maybe what the tiebreaker is is the final audio quality.
Has anyone done a direct comparison between the two?
The fact that Roland is older (released more than 10 years ago) can make it have lower component quality and consequently lower audio quality?
Sorry for the long text.

Matthias McCready

I have had an Octacapture for several years.

It mostly lives in a pelican as part of my measurement rig; although in a pinch I have used it as a basic mixer or recording interface. It is a very useful device, that does a lot of things other interfaces can't, such as creating multiple mixes. Granted these features may not be useful to you

----

I don't have any complaints about the sound quality, and it measures flat; but I haven't really compared it to any other interfaces.

OP
CristianoLO

CristianoLO

Hi Matthias.
Thanks for the comments.
Can you do a loopback measurement so that I have some idea of the noise floor and THD?
Like this one from the M4.

index.php

artburda

Hi Matthias.
Thanks for the comments.
Can you do a loopback measurement so that I have some idea of the noise floor and THD?
Like this one from the M4.

index.php
This isn‘t a loopback measurement. Here, the M4‘s output was measured with Amir‘s AP. With the search function you can find here M4‘s loopback measurements.

OP
CristianoLO

CristianoLO

This isn‘t a loopback measurement. Here, the M4‘s output was measured with Amir‘s AP. With the search function you can find here M4‘s loopback measurements.
Of course, I understand.
But a loopback measurement already helps to get an idea in general terms, at least compared to the interface I have today.

Motu Ultralite MK3 Main 1 output -> Mic/Inst 1 intup
0dBFS output, a lot of distortion
1661725974182.png

-4dBFS output, much better, also the noise floor
1661726238387.png

Top Bottom