• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Roksan's new Attessa amplifier

RoA

I had a first look (but not listen, this will be next) at Roksan's new entry level amplifier.

It looks better in hand than on pictures. I like the centralised volume/function control and inset ventilation grilles. The control knob has a nice, firm resistance and the haptic feedback is both unusual and nice though most will, I assume, rarely use this and rely instead on the remote. Still, good to know Roksan obviously spent some thought (and expense) on this part of the amplifier. It feels reasonably heavy for the price (£1000 for the non-streaming version) partly due to the approx 400VA transformer inside, again, a decent rating for an amplifier around this price. This together with 4x6800uf of supply capacitance and I believe 4 output devices/channel should make for an engine enough for most speakers and loud volume. 80 watts (8ohm) at Roksans usually conservative rating will likely not feel wanting.

I like low profile hifi and this is no exception. Whilst the 'cut-off' corner design may be devisive, it certainly gives an unusual look and somewhat stays true to Roksan's often slightly unusual design choices. I would have preferred a large OLED display as on my Hegel, giving a more accurate volume readout and improved visibility of source selection and other parameters but the amber/red volume bars do the job and are easy on the eye.

So, next is a quick in store listen likely followed by a home trial. Will this (non-streaming Attessa) replace my Audiolab 6000A or Arcam SA20?

It'll be interesting.

Then there is Marantz's forthcoming Model 40 ...

Last edited:

Madeintooting

Here's Stereophile's measurements of the Kandy

The Kandy K2 comfortably exceeded its specified output power into 8 ohms, clipping (defined as 1% THD+noise) at 137Wpc with both channels driven (21.37dBW). Into 4 ohms, it clipped at 199Wpc (20dBW).

Reactions: RoA

Stentor

I bought this amplifier 1 month ago and I have to say that I am a little bit disappointed. My speakers are Monitor Audio Silver 300 7g. What disappoints me is the extremely hi hum from the analog inputs. When I use external DAC (Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital) connected to the analog inputs there is a hum. The problem however is not the external DAC. Currently I have another amp Pro-Ject Amp Box DS2 connected to the same speakers with the same cables, no hum even when close to the twitters.
Roksan's digital inputs are also a little bit noisy, but not so much as the analog. Tested with a CD Player with SPDIF. The hum is not so annoying.

Regardless of the hum, I have to say this Integrated amp has great sounding according to my hearing. Compared to the Pro-Ject Amp Box DS2, Roksan has more tight bass and it is more darker mids & hi freqs.
But the situation forced me to keep the Pro-Ject devices (Pre and Amp Boxes) and to sell the Roksan.

tfg

My experiances: the standby button works uncertainly (one time it "decided" to take a factory reset without any outer operation,
sometimes I can't switch off...), loud pop noise from the speakers when turn on, continuous hum from the right channel,
network problems (The MaestroUnite app can't find the amp on my phone. One of our tablets found the amp but can't find the network so I can't update...)

So, I sent it back to the store.

It seems the design team can't finished the project...

OP
R

RoA

Here's Stereophile's measurements of the Kandy
Yes, Roksans have almost always exceeded published manufacturers power figures in tests, going back decades. Good practice.

Zenek73

Is the amp roon ready? I really like the design! And no blue leds!
But: lack of usb input and the worst: made in china

tfg

My experiances: the standby button works uncertainly (one time it "decided" to take a factory reset without any outer operation,
sometimes I can't switch off...), loud pop noise from the speakers when turn on, continuous hum from the right channel,
network problems (The MaestroUnite app can't find the amp on my phone. One of our tablets found the amp but can't find the network so I can't update...)

So, I sent it back to the store.

It seems the design team can't finished the project...
New experiences: I gave a second chance to it and I bought a streaming one. It's working well, sounding very nice since app. six months.

Guralex

Hi colleagues!
Will be very glad to bump this conversation. Have a possibility to buy this amp in mint condition for 1100$ which sounds good considering reviews and built in streamer

However, I’ve heard a lot regarding cracks upon turning on and some problems with hum etc. And buying it second hand will leave no chances to return it back to dealer

@tfg , @Stentor how’a your experience so far?

Will be happy to hear some go/no go arguments

Music1969

Major Contributor
When I use external DAC (Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital) connected to the analog inputs there is a hum. The problem however is not the external DAC. Currently I have another amp Pro-Ject Amp Box DS2 connected to the same speakers with the same cables, no hum even when close to the twitters.
Roksan's digital inputs are also a little bit noisy, but not so much as the analog. Tested with a CD Player with SPDIF. The hum is not so annoying.
When you test digital input for hum, is your Pro-Ject DAC still connected?

This is problem of unbalanced RCA.

Disconnect RCA and use TOSlink input - still have hum?

tfg

Hi, I still like mine. The hum is exists, but with my current speakers (B&W 707 S2) it's very low just like the "crack" when turning the amp on. Overall I'm happy with the Attessa.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi colleagues!
Will be very glad to bump this conversation. Have a possibility to buy this amp in mint condition for 1100$ which sounds good considering reviews and built in streamer

However, I’ve heard a lot regarding cracks upon turning on and some problems with hum etc. And buying it second hand will leave no chances to return it back to dealer

@tfg , @Stentor how’a your experience so far?

Will be happy to hear some go/no go arguments
Objectively nothing really to write home about. And of course asking owners for their subjective opinion will not really help (objectively). I think you can do better for 1100USD. But of course if you have fallen in love with the amp, go for it.

Guralex

Objectively nothing really to write home about. And of course asking owners for their subjective opinion will not really help (objectively). I think you can do better for 1100USD. But of course if you have fallen in love with the amp, go for it.
Will be glad to hear your personal thoughts and recommendations.
For now the combo “streamer (similar to Bluesound)+ decent amp+ phono+ slick design” looks really great for the money

Just see no options in the same budget.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Will be glad to hear your personal thoughts and recommendations.
For now the combo “streamer (similar to Bluesound)+ decent amp+ phono+ slick design” looks really great for the money

Just see no options in the same budget.
Then the decision is made. Enjoy.

Top Bottom