• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Rokit vs Yamahas vs LP-6 to use with a TV in untreated living room?

stickspike

I'm fairly set on using studio monitors for my tv+ listening to music in the living room. Been considering the rokit rp7 , yamahas hs7 and the kali audio lp-6 ; mainly because they all come in white lol.

I know they are all near field monitors, but which ones do you think would work best in my situation (2.5-3 meters distance to couch)?

I really like the look of the white yamahas, but from what I've read, they don't work that well in untreated rooms, compared to the rest. Moreover, they will be placed pretty close to a wall, so the bass port being on the back is probably quite bad for me.

I've been considering the rokits because of the EQ app that would supposedly allow them to work much better in less than ideal rooms. How well does this work?

the LP-6 seem like a good option too; a guy mentioned he thinks they work great as mid-field monitors too. I also like the fact that they have RCA , which would probably make connecting them to the TV easier.

Can anyone who has experience with these give me some advice? Much appreciated.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
I know they are all near field monitors, but which ones do you think would work best in my situation (2.5-3 meters distance to couch)?
The ones with the narrowest dispersion. Some decent level handling is probably advisable as well (this sort of distance would be something for the 8" class). Conversely, driver spacing is less critical.

I'd suggest YOLOing it and looking for some white Kali LP-8 V2s. Plan B, Yamaha HS8s, and if you really can't justify spending that much, RP8 G4s.

What kind of output would you be connecting them to? Steering clear of the usual pitfalls may require additional expenses.

OP
S

stickspike

Thanks a lot for the reply and suggestions.

I was thinking the best way to connect them would be through a DAC that has a remote for volume control and connect them via RCA or RCA to 1/4 adapter ( https://www.amazon.co.uk/PROZOR-Con...ds=dac+remote+bluetooth&qid=1655312578&sr=8-3 ). Otherwise, I could get an Aiyima T8 or an Aiyima T10 preamp with built in DAC, but I'm not sure it's worth the extra cost for my use case.

Would that work well?

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
It could, assuming you're using the Toslink input of a DAC that has a wall wart type external power supply. Otherwise you'll probably have some fun with ground loops. (DACs with built-in power supplies are often those sporting balanced output as well, so that would make it a non-issue again.)

If your budget is tight you could also cobble something together a lot more cheaply. In the most extreme case you could just run the TV's headphone out (or a dongle DAC) into a Behringer HD400 via 3.5 mm stereo to 2x 1/4" TS cable and then proceed to monitors via TRS to XLR x2. Note, for this type of cabling and stuff I would suggest looking at the usual suspects in terms of music retailers rather than Amazon. They'll generally have a better choice including items you may not even get elsewhere and good customer service. Could be ordered together with the monitors themselves, actually.

Top Bottom