• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Rogue One

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
That's some funny stuff right there.
One poster was dead on. Love the original Total Recall, the reboot was a complete POS

One point I made here before is I go to the movies to be entertained. Not to listen to any a-sholes social commentary. ;)

The movies you just cited, the Verhoeven flicks (Robocop, Total Recall, Starship troopers), are chock full of social commentary.

Verhoeven is all about imagining future versions of fascism.

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
First you combine the whole Star Wars franchises into a single choice
They are pretty much that way for me. Enjoyed them all and they are written as one continuing adventure including Rogue One. My only disappointment was Ep1 Mantom Menace. I felt the movie was written too much for the kids. The character Jar Jar Binks drove me nuts. 10 year olds loved it.
Rogue One is just the opposite to me. Much more adult oriented, I do worry how the young ones will react to the ending. Don't want to turn them off to the franchise.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I liked the robocop remake....:eek:

I liked starship troopers, like sal I did not let the book ruin a good movie :D

Oh, imo basically science fiction is like Shakespeare in that it provids a foreign backdrop , a exotic world where social comment can be entertained and boundaries pushed in a way that's more cutting and truthfull than a contemporary setting might afford.

It's very function is to comment on our times...it's granted a freedom, a licence by its removal from the constraints of our times for a setting POV. Further more and some what ironically i think sci fi films are as honest a reflection of the times they were made in than any other genre.

Just my opinion

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I looooooove Sci-Fi. 75% of the ficiton I read is Sci-Fi.

In no particular order

Fifth Element
2001 Space Odyssey
Alien
Predator ( people, this has to be one of the least heralded great Sci-Fi movie ever )
The Wrath of Khan (Star Trek)
Arrival
Contact
Blade Runner
ET
Close Encounters
T2. This movie is good and Hahnol fits the character to a T.. He didn't have to act, just be his wooden, no expression Keanu-Reevesque self

Ok! I know this is a Science based forum but I allowed myself some subjectivity, so 11 movies became under this perception only, 10 :D

Last edited:

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I'm getting kind of sick of the anti-Empire bias present in the mainstream Star Wars movies.

Rogue One is perhaps the best Star Wars movie since Empire Strikes Back, in large part because large numbers of order-hating nihilist "rebels" are eliminated.

a56.jpg

JSmith

Master Contributor
FND_poster_RogueOne-Presale.jpg

ROGUE ONE RE-RELEASE (2022)​

Movie Rating​

PG-13, 2 hr 22 min | Fri, Aug 26, 2022
Rogue One's re-release will also feature a sneak peek at Andor.

JSmith

Top Bottom