• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Roger Sanders' views on audio: The discussion thread

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I posted this in another thread, but I think it deserves to be read more widely. I recently stumbled across this long interview with Roger Sanders, an independent manufacturer of electrostatic speakers.

dsc_0632_2.jpg

I had briefly heard of him before, but when reading the interview it dawned on me that he seems to be one of the few independent manufacturs who is deeply committed to rationality and objectivity when designing speakers. He makes a number of claims in the interview, and I would like to know more about the validity of those claims.

Challenge to y'all: I will list what I think are the most interesting claims he makes in the interview. Then I will ask you to indicate whether you agree or not - yes (Y), no (N), don't know (DK). And possibly motivate why. I will start myself to get the discussion going. Please read the interview first though!

1) "Roger Sanders makes the best loudspeakers in the world".
(DK - not listened to them or seen enough measurements, but Robert E. Greene in TAS seems to agree)

2) "A S.O.T.A. speaker must use an electrostatic midrange".
The reason he provides: "The reason that electrostatic speakers are so good is that they are the only type of midrange driver that has essentially no moving mass. Magnetic speakers simply cannot match the performance of electrostatics in the midrange because they are heavy so cannot be accelerated quickly and accurately at treble frequencies"
(DK - tbh I haven't listened enough to good electrostatic speakers. Are there measurements that back up this claim about electrostats vs magnetic speakers in general?)

3) "Magnetic woofers have many problems with their enclosures that cause them to produce with a lot of overshoot and ringing that makes it impossible for them to integrate well with a massless electrostatic speaker".
(N - I am skeptical of this claim. But are there measurements which can back it up? In general, my sense is that bass "quickness" has more to do with the room than with the woofers themselves)

4) "The solution is to use a transmission line enclosure system to virtually eliminate overshoot and ringing in the woofer".
(DK - I don't know enough about transmission lines, but I seem to remember that they have problems with time smear and phase behavior?)

5) "No speaker can be considered S.O.T.A. if it uses a passive crossover. All speakers will perform better when driven by active crossovers and individual amplifiers for each of their drivers".
(Y)

6) "Loudspeakers are the most important component in your system. All are seriously flawed. You should put most of your money and effort into getting the best ones you can".
(Y)

7) "Rooms interact with loudspeakers to seriously degrade the sound. It is essential to deal with this problem using proper positioning, room treatment, and DSP".
(N - I'm of the opinion that we "listen through" the room to a substantial degree, at least provided good speakers and good positioning. I think this position has more support in the peer-reviewed studies than Sanders' view)

8) "The distortion from a Class A amplifier is no lower than in a Class AB amplifier. So there is absolutely no reason to use Class A anymore"
(Y)

9) "I do not consider switch mode (Class D) amplifiers to be high fidelity devices". (for full bandwith)
Reason: "This is because they do not have linear frequency response. Their high frequency response depends on the character of the load (the loudspeaker). Therefore they must be specifically adjusted to your specific speaker to have linear frequency response. Because woofers do not reproduce high frequencies, switch mode amps are excellent for driving woofers (which require a lot of power)".
(DK - but my subjective listening inclines me to agree. When trying out class D myself it have sounded a bit artificial to my ears, but I have heard tailor-made active speakers (like the LS1) with class D which have sounded excellent. Are there any independent measurements on this?)

10) "Digital recording media [and digital playback] is flawless. By comparison, analog is very poor".
(Y)

11) "As long as you use a data rate of 192 KBPS or higher, you cannot hear any difference between an MP3 recording and the original source".
(Y - with reservations. I know there are people who have been able to ABX 192 KBPS vs higher resolution, but I think it's virtually indistinguishable for normal listening to music. There might be an argument for using full 16-bit if one does heavy DSP and EQ to the signal though)

12) "DSP systems are extremely powerful and effective tools. They can improve all audio systems and every audiophile should use them".
[Sanders uses it for crossover and speaker eq, and recommends room correction in the bass but not in higher frequencies]
(Y)

13) "There is no such thing as too much power"
Reason: "It is easy to show that most speaker systems require about 500 watts to play musical peaks cleanly. Most audiophiles use amps with far less power. Therefore audiophiles are comparing clipping amps most of the time".
(Y - my gut agrees with this. But I would like to see more measurements on this, using the method he proposes with an oscilloscope)

14) "Components that meet the Basic Quality Criteria (BQC) for high fidelity sound always sound identical to each other".
He mentions this as the basic quality criteria: "1) Inaudible noise levels (a S/N of 86 dB or better is required), 2) Inaudible wow and flutter (less than 0.01%) 3) Linear frequency response across the audio bandwidth (20 Hz - 20 KHz +/- 0.1 dB), 4) Harmonic distortion of less than 1%"
(Y)

15) "You must do ABX testing to obtain valid results from listening tests".
(DK - I am not sure about his favoring of ABX over AB tests, and I'm not sure whether quick blind testing is able to reveal things like dynamic differences. But I agree of course that controlled blind listening is more valid than subjective sighted listening, if properly done, with subjects who are trained for the testing format)

-------

There is more in interview, but these were the claims which struck me the most. What do you guys think?

Last edited:

Arnold Krueger

Other than being totally incorrect and even self-contradictory in places, what is the question? :)

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am a fan.
If I had not already got more kit than I could possibly need for the rest of my life I would certainly have chosen Sanders speakers/amps for an audition. Now I am retired I would be concerned about the cost of changing.

OP
oivavoi

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Totally is a big word to use.
I agree with a lot of what he writes, so "totally" is quite wrong from my experience.

Agreed. It is more interesting and enlightening to explain what one agrees with and what one disagrees with, rather than saying that somebody is 100% wrong or right.

Bjorn

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Since I've listened to Sanders speakers and also measured them in a living room, I've to say I disagree that "Roger Sanders makes the best loudspeakers in the world". But it seems like a good speaker and electrostatics have their advantages. Some disadvantages are beaming, low sensitivity and lack of great dynamics.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
A customer has some, coupled with the magtech amps not my cup of tea at all.
Keith

OP
oivavoi

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Since I've listened to Sanders speakers and also measured them in a living room, I've to say I disagree that "Roger Sanders makes the best loudspeakers in the world". But it seems like a good speaker and electrostatics have their advantages. Some disadvantages are beaming, low sensitivity and lack of great dynamics.

Interesting, Bjørn. Which model did you measure? The current or a previous one? How did you find the measurements lacking? In the interview, he claims to have solved the inherent limitation of dynamics that usually plagues electrostats. Haven't seen any measurements on it though.

Cosmik

Major Contributor
2) "A S.O.T.A. speaker must use an electrostatic midrange".
The reason he provides: "The reason that electrostatic speakers are so good is that they are the only type of midrange driver that has essentially no moving mass. Magnetic speakers simply cannot match the performance of electrostatics in the midrange because they are heavy so cannot be accelerated quickly and accurately at treble frequencies"
I think that offends a notion I have that if magnetic woofers and tweeters 'work' then an appropriately scaled mid range driver will work, too. My suspicion is that electrostatics are a cult; a hangover from a time when the electrostatic truly did something that the alternative couldn't - as well as being a bit sci-fi - and people still haven't got over it.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Thanks, Keith. How did it differ to your ears from other speakers you like?
Imagine a pair of giant wooly socks pulled over your speakers,
Keith

OP
oivavoi

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My suspicion is that electrostatics are a cult; a hangover from a time when the electrostatic truly did something that the alternative couldn't - as well as being a bit sci-fi - and people still haven't got over it.

That has been my intuitive reaction to electrostats too. I have put it in the same category as tubes etc. But I try not to be dogmatic about these things. I think there is an argument to be made, in principle, that less moving mass (or mass that moves easier) may make a difference when turning electric signals into airwaves. But it's all conjecture in the absence of measurements. There is an article about electrostats in the latest issue of the AES journal btw. Skimmed through it but wasn't sure what to make of it (send me a pm if anybody's interested). Anyway, I don't want to rule out that electrostats have some inherent advantages, before I see actual measurements that say otherwise.

I think that offends a notion I have that if magnetic woofers and tweeters 'work' then an appropriately scaled mid range driver will work, too.

I believe Sanders thinks that most magnetic woofers don't work very well either. While tweeters don't have to move that much air, so the problem is smaller. But haven't we seen similar things with tweeters - some reputable manufacturers moving to ribbons, ART etc, out of similar considerations? EDIT: Here's a brief article on Adam and their tweeter technology: http://swarmknowledge.com/2013/10/07/rise-adam-ribbon-tweeter/

Last edited:

Bjorn

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Interesting, Bjørn. Which model did you measure? The current or a previous one? How did you find the measurements lacking? In the interview, he claims to have solved the inherent limitation of dynamics that usually plagues electrostats. Haven't seen any measurements on it though.
Probably previous model since it was purchased several years ago. You can see in the thread below, but the placement and acoustics have changed since that.
http://www.hifisentralen.no/forumet/bergen-lydlaug/60225-porsgrunnsavdelingen-rir-igjen.html

I never publish measurement conducted at clients. It's also difficult to know for sure how much is related to the speakers and to the placement/room. I disagree with those who say speakers are more important then the acoustics. The reason being that a very difficult room/placement can ruin even the very best speakers. I've heard that several times. That was not the case here though, but there were a generally a low level between 100 Hz and 900 Hz. Some EQ was used to improve it.

I doubt unless a electrostatic is gigantic, it will never be very dynamic. By gigantic I mean even bigger than the biggest Sound Lab speakers. But everything is relative. This is were horn speakers thrive.

Dilliw

Nos. 8 and 9 are static answers and won't stand the test of time. Both Class A and Class A/B are at the "End of Science" according to Nelson Pass. Class D, in contrast, is just beginning. TI just released a new chip that doesn't have the hockey stick distortion on the top end, automatically adjusts to the speaker load, and can run off of 12v power (TAS2770). And that's just 2018; digital technologies be it PWM or something else will continue to evolve where analog amplification will not.

It's interesting because he says that active crossovers and DSP trump passive. He's right, but a few years ago I bet he wouldn't have said that.

OP
oivavoi

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Bjorn

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
9) "I do not consider switch mode (Class D) amplifiers to be high fidelity devices". (for full bandwith)
Reason: "This is because they do not have linear frequency response. Their high frequency response depends on the character of the load (the loudspeaker). Therefore they must be specifically adjusted to your specific speaker to have linear frequency response. Because woofers do not reproduce high frequencies, switch mode amps are excellent for driving woofers (which require a lot of power)".
(DK - but my subjective listening inclines me to agree. When trying out class D myself it have sounded a bit artificial to my ears, but I have heard tailor-made active speakers (like the LS1) with class D which have sounded excellent. Are there any independent measurements on this?)
That's only the case with some older class D amps (like some B&O icePower modules). Perhaps this is an older interview?
The best and newer class D amps aren't effected by the load in the highs.

OP
oivavoi

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's only the case with some older class D amps (like some B&O icePower modules). Perhaps this is an older interview?
The best and newer class D amps aren't not effected by the load in the highs.

Yes, it's from 2013. He might be misinformed here of course. Personally I have also never tried the really high-end class d amps like Ncore.

Bjorn

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
The best Anaview amps are also great and don't have any load problems in the highs. They have gone under different names. Used to be Abletec, than Anaview and now I think there's another one. But they also have cheaper series, that might have similar issues like the B&O icePower modules, I don't know.

Either way, this is not an issue with the better class D amps. I'm quite certain class D is the future.

Top Bottom