• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Roger Russell of McIntosh's view on speaker wire

radix

Major Contributor
Thanks for sharing that link. It was a fun read.

seiran

such an impressive piece of work, it is what I'm looking for. Thx dude

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well that is useful. Not for anyone with a couple of brain cells to rub together. But as a counter to audio woo.

Jim Shaw

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
<chuckle> Where has this paper been all of my previous life?

Roger Russell: "...Dissimilar metals can also promote corrosion with action like a battery when they are in a humid environment. This eventually causes not only higher resistance but also clearly audible distortion as if a diode were inserted in series with the speaker and amplifier."

The junction performance of dissimilar metals in speaker connections is a thing. It is significant. Bring this up in an audiophile forum arguing 'unobtanium' cables if you want to quickly hear the sound of mumbling in the comments. "Galvanic what?" "Dissimilar metals?" "Doesn't gold solve that?"

Most audiophiles will spend their life in the hobby trying to prove to everyone that their tinkerer's knowledge is better than engineering training. "I've heard two hundred speakers and I know what I'm talking about!"

Not if you don't understand audio frequency AC transfer functions, you don't. Russell's paper is more than moderately priceless. :)

-Just one man's engineer's view.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi
The kind of links worth clicking into.
I wonder if this is Mac Intosh's corporate philosophy. High End Audio companies typically espouse audio cable myths. Sadly ROger passed away last year.

A thought, for Mac Intosh to milk the HEA crowd even more. Team up with MIT Cables, they of the $40,000 speaker cables, and produce something like this:
1650363304499.png

Peace.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Hi
The kind of links worth clicking into.
I wonder if this is Mac Intosh's corporate philosophy. High End Audio companies typically espouse audio cable myths. Sadly ROger passed away last year.

A thought, for Mac Intosh to milk the HEA crowd even more. Team up with MIT Cables, they of the $40,000 speaker cables, and produce something like this:
View attachment 200950

Peace.
Please don't give the current Mac-management any ideas...

;)

SimpleTheater

Forum Donor

I think Roger would have been fond of ASR based on reading his thoughts on speaker wire. I'm coming off the unicorns and rainbows cable journey and just going back to basics that work
Now that I can save $thousands in speaker wire, I can put that money towards my interconnecting cables. Thanks!

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Deleted a post I made earlier - I had been fooled into thinking that the Photoshop-ed Mac/MIT abomination was the real thing! o_O

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Deleted a post I made earlier - I had been fooled into thinking that the Photoshop-ed Mac/MIT abomination was the real thing! o_O

That's Poes law that is. People need to leave clues.

Jim Shaw

Forum Donor
Now that I can save $thousands in speaker wire, I can put that money towards my interconnecting cables. Thanks!
Nah. Invest it in new psychorevelutionarist magnetostrictive, predictive negative endpoint impedance and with total phase coherence power cables of long-fiber diamond alloy -- and a better power company. PSAudio will take your money and deliver something very satisfyingly heavy -- with an all-important meter.

Nice big meters make for slim wallets. We are audiophiles; we need meters.
[head down for incoming]

AudiOhm

Roger Russell

You can view his site with many other bits of information.

Ohms

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I remember buying a pair of "fancy" Audioquest speaker cables several years ago, before ASR and before I read RR. I think they made the speakers sound worse, whatever they were doing electrically. I went back to 12 gauge clear-plastic insulated zip cord and never left. My other system uses 16 gauge, red and black "speaker wire" in 6 foot lengths. Could not be happier with them.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
We’ve been passing this around on AH for years! I even made it a part of the “drinking game” I wrote up over there. :)

Last edited:

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's Poes law that is. People need to leave clues.
Not the poster's fault - reading is fundamental and I didn't do a good job! Only caught it after I expanded the photo to get a better look. Jaggies.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
It must be hard to work today at McIntosh keeping the legacy of Gordon Gow, who basically stated the same as the posted article, with the appeal to audio fetish inherent to the brand.

At least their amps perform quite well...

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It must be hard to work today at McIntosh keeping the legacy of Gordon Gow, who basically stated the same as the posted article, with the appeal to audio fetish inherent to the brand.

At least their amps perform quite well...
McIntosh has become more of a luxury nostalgia brand versus a high-performance brand. Their latest amps are 2x the price of the last generation, but I don't see a comparable performance boost. They look more sexy, though. They are still selling 100 lb autotransformer amps when lightweight Class D is setting new heights of power output and SINAD.

Top Bottom