• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Rocky Mountain Audio Fest (RMAF) 2017 Day 3 (Sunday)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Piega Speakers, Soulution audio, CMS racks:

6T5A2337.jpg
6T5A2338.jpg
6T5A2339.jpg

The larger speakers were playing.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Piega speakers: Do You Feel Like We Do (Live) by Peter Frampton. https://shz.am/t236682

Do You Feel Like We Do (Live) by Peter Frampton. https://shz.am/t236682

Man did I suffer here. This sound was at the same time boomy and super bright. I mean really bright. So bright that my ears were hurting after a few minutes but the darn track kept going, going and going. :( Looking now it is a bloody 14 minutes. I don't care if you are a fan of Frampton. People don't come to a room just to hear a song for 15 minutes, especially one as harsh sounding as this.

I look at the people behind me and they are content listening to this. I mean how much of a high-frequency response do you need to have lost to be able to listen to this kind of sound for 15 minutes? I really wanted to hear something else but was not meant to be as the show was closing.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
That's it guys! I finished the report in record time this year mainly due to eating in the hotel and posting away :).

I got tired of that and pulled up Yelp and noticed this Hawaiian Poke bar within walking distance so I tried it:

upload_2017-10-10_16-0-11.png

Yum! Very well done. Wanted something light and that was the ticket. They had tons of choices and you just picked from the list.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Wow, you got it!

View attachment 9316

Wonder what made them put that there.

Small'ish metal box, probably loud inside, guessing they had trouble hearing orders (or the radio inside) due to all the sound bouncing around.

A.wayne

As mentioned above, I attended an appointment-only session by Avalon. What caught my eye was attendance of my professional colleague, "Professor" Keith Johnson of the Spectral and Reference Recordings fame. I thought that would be the main point of interest for me. But it worked out a ton better.

The Avalon room was by far the best sounding room among high-end suits at RMAF 2017. While they started with a hotel room, they went to town to properly treat and optimize the room from acoustics point of view. Together with fantastic content and stories from the organizers and Keith on how the music was produced, it made for a great total experience.

Reception was totally friendly and not stuffy and arrogant as many high-end demo rooms tend to me. They were very receptive to our needs and tailored the listening to session to what we wanted to hear.

The gear naturally was Avalon equipment and Spectral with MIT cables. I was told that when you bought the system from them, they would help with site survey, placement and optimization of the system.
View attachment 9267 View attachment 9268 View attachment 9269 View attachment 9270

THere is the Professor himself:
View attachment 9271 View attachment 9272 View attachment 9273 View attachment 9274 View attachment 9275 View attachment 9276 View attachment 9277 View attachment 9278 View attachment 9279

Big Keith Johnson fan and Spectral is really good stuff , brings good jump and life to recordings , but for this to be the best room at RMAF with those small avalons is a big shocker for me ....,

Regards

A.wayne

View attachment 9282

View attachment 9283

Shock wave from a trumpet:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14714816

"These shock waves arise from the shock-tube-like effect of the performer's intermittent breath pressure driving the cylindrical duct of the trumpet, and are the result of cumulative nonlinear acoustic propagation inside the trumpet bore. They are, however, very weak, traveling only marginally above the acoustic speed. In the 118-124 peak dB(A) range, they are near the weak limit of shock wave visibility by schlieren optics."

View attachment 9287

If there is a lesson here, I think it would be "Do Not Compress".

Interesting , thanks for posting ....

edd9000

Thanks for the great report Amir. This has become my go to place for such things.

Top Bottom