• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Rocky Mountain Audio Fest (RMAF) 2017 Day 2

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
SVS was showing the same SB-16 Ultra sub so nothing new here. But I did sit through a quick demo of Fury Road. You know there is a lot of bass frequencies where -- how should I say this -- your private parts start to resonate together with your pant legs! Had to leave quickly as to not have any follow on consequences.
6T5A2122.jpg
6T5A2123.jpg

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Micromega.

6T5A2148.jpg
6T5A2149.jpg
6T5A2150.jpg
6T5A2151.jpg

Nice little product. I had seen this at other shows but this is the first time I spent time with them. It is an all-in-one DAC, amplifier, phono-pre-amp, etc. like Devialet. It is cheaper however and uses a resonant mode switching power supply and conventional amplifier topology to keep the unit small. A small fan sits in the middle and provides cooling. Speaking of cool, it now has room EQ.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Mark Levinson amplifiers, streamer and DAC, Revel speakers:

Note: My company carries these products and I own the same brands in my system. So please keep that in mind as you read my comments.

6T5A2152.jpg

In past shows most of the Revel/Mark Levinson rooms were hosted and created by their dealers. While they were nice folks, they lack the deep understanding of the people who created the products. This put them at a disadvantage relative to other manufacturers who were present themselves. Well, this was remedied with my friend and professional colleague Kevin Voecks was master of ceremonies here. You can see him catching me from corner of his eyes as he was talking to a couple seating there: "here comes trouble!" :D

6T5A2153.jpg

This is the gear that was there:

6T5A2154.jpg
6T5A2158.jpg
6T5A2155.jpg
6T5A2156.jpg
6T5A2157.jpg

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
As much as I am a fan of the Revel speakers, I must say I was not at all ready to hear the totally amazing sound I heard. It was by far the best sound for that day and continuing to what I heard the rest of the second day! It was jaw droppingly good. It pains me to write these words as the accusation of bias will be rampant but I have to give credit where it is due. You can read my past show reports where I did NOT heap such praise. At this show though the performance was amazing with these $10,000 speakers and system. And of course magical tuning of the speakers, seating position, etc. that Kevin had done, together with great set of demo clips.

Speaking of demo clips, here they are: Isn't She Lovely by Livingston Taylor. https://shz.am/t11226897

Absolutely amazing.

BTW, Kevin confirmed yet again that MQA and Roon support will come to their player by end of the year. Prototype of Roon was being used in the room.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Revel, Mark Levinson: With A Little Help From My Friends by Anne Bisson. https://shz.am/t77388707

Nice. What great resolution. BTW, I had the pleasure of meeting Anne and will report on that later.

Top Bottom