• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Rockwool and breathing and alternative or help

Vict0r

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Please don't use bare Rockwool. There are other options! I personally started using Akotherm D40 (80mm), which is a really dense sort of polyesterwool.

akotherm50mmwit-web-front_3_2.jpg

akotherm-basic-grafiek_2_1.png

hege

Forum Donor
Is this Basotect with best €/m2 price?

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Is this Basotect with best €/m2 price?

This is not Basotect, just regular melamin foam. Unless it says it's basotect it's not basotect.

hege

Forum Donor
This is not Basotect, just regular melamin foam. Unless it says it's basotect it's not basotect.
What makes Basotect special? I don't see polyester wool products differing much either. Of course density might vary by model.

hege

Forum Donor
it's not wool it's foam, and it does the same job while having lower density than wool.

basically weight for absorption and better material to work with without protection.
I'm asking what makes melamin foam products different from each other? "Basotect" vs "T.akustik". There's not much difference on the polyester side either that I see.

Here in Finland we have Ewonawool, which might as well be Caruso Isobond or Akotherm..

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm asking what makes melamin foam products different from each other? "Basotect" vs "T.akustik". There's not much difference on the polyester side either that I see.

density for absorption mostly. regular polyester foam doesn't absorb as much in low frequency because it's not dense enough like rookwool.

hege

Forum Donor
density for absorption mostly. regular polyester foam doesn't absorb as much in low frequency because it's not dense enough like rookwool.
Well.. yeah.. seems we are going in circles. There's also 40kg/m3 polyester wool too. And it's really more about the Air flow resistance and the correct density depends on how deep you are making it.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
regarding density = better,
it actualy depends on the thickness of the material.
what realy matter is the gas flow resistivity (which is related to the density, but varies when comparing 2 products with same density).
let's take this example: https://gearspace.com/board/showpost.php?p=7480592&postcount=33
the denser material is better with a 10cm panel, but with a 30cm panel the less dense material is superior: http://www.acousticmodelling.com/ml...d32=100&s41=2&d41=100&v41=12000&s42=1&d42=100

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
regarding density = better,
it actualy depends on the thickness of the material.
what realy matter is the gas flow resistivity (which is related to the density, but varies when comparing 2 products with same density).
let's take this example: https://gearspace.com/board/showpost.php?p=7480592&postcount=33
the denser material is better with a 10cm panel, but with a 30cm panel the less dense material is much more superior: http://www.acousticmodelling.com/ml...d32=100&s41=2&d41=100&v41=12000&s42=1&d42=100
yep this is important, if the material is too dense for the air to penetrate then the difference between a 15 cm panel and 30cm would be very slim.

I think that's what makes Basotect so good, at 10cm it acts as if it has rockwool like density and at 30 cm its 9 kg/m3 shines through.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
yep this is important, if the material is too dense for the air to penetrate then the difference between a 15 cm panel and 30cm would be very slim.

I think that's what makes Basotect so good, at 10cm it acts as if it has rockwool like density and at 30 cm its 9 kg/m3 shines through.

afaiui the denser material becomes reflective at a certain thickness, making it the point where it becomes useless to add to it.
in this example there are baiscly no gains after 200mm: http://www.acousticmodelling.com/ml...d32=100&s41=2&d41=300&v41=15000&s42=1&d42=100

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
What makes Basotect special? I don't see polyester wool products differing much either. Of course density might vary by model.
Basotect is mostly used because of its fire resistance. That said, its acoustic properties work really well.

RHO

Major Contributor
Have you tried akoestiekwinkel.nl? They're not cheap, but the products do work very well.

Zoomer

Question for the fellow Dutch/Belgian ASR members in this thread: do you know of any local suppliers of building kits (bouwpaketten) for frames? I know it's a relatively simple DIY job, but in my situation that's not really an option.

Top Bottom