• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Rockwool and breathing and alternative or help

RHO

Major Contributor
No I haven't bought from there yet.
From my limited experience with them, I woud buy there again. Good service, nicely delivered at home.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Question for the fellow Dutch/Belgian ASR members in this thread: do you know of any local suppliers of building kits (bouwpaketten) for frames? I know it's a relatively simple DIY job, but in my situation that's not really an option.

Someone shared a link here of a company that sells both foam and frames separately. Can’t tell which one exactly atm.

Kundroc

Zoomer

Can I achieve an effective air gap with the panel frame mounted flush with the wall and it's interior space consisting of a layer of absorbing material + air gap? Or does the air gap need to be open to the rest of the room, not enclosed by the frame?

Kundroc

Can I achieve an effective air gap with the panel frame mounted flush with the wall and it's interior space consisting of a layer of absorbing material + air gap? Or does the air gap need to be open to the rest of the room, not enclosed by the frame?
In my understanding, there is no penalty to the efficiency of an absorber with enclosure for sound waves arriving perpendicular to the surface of it. The enclosure will partially block sound waves arriving at an angle with an increasing loss of efficiency the bigger the angle. Even without enclosure, there will be a certain loss for the same situation.
For optimal performance with/without an enclosure, preference should be given to have the absorber perpendicular to the direction of the incoming sound waves.

Zoomer

I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing, I hope his sketch will clarify things.

Left: air gap as part of and enclosed by the frame
Right: air gap open

Is there a difference in the efficiency of the air gap?

air gap.JPG

Last edited:

howard416

Yeah, nah... don't use exposed rockwool;

JSmith
Based on the recognition of this limitation, the present study seems to suggest the safety of RW fibers. At present we are conducting a long-term nasal exposure inhalation experiment to examine the pathological effects of RW, such as the long-term persistence of RW in the lungs, carcinogenicity, and pulmonary fibrosis, and plan to assess the safety of RW further, taking the results of the present study also into consideration.

sully45

Has anyone tried out the recycled cotton stuff for bass absorbers? This 'bass buster' stuff claims a .95 absorption coefficient at 125 hz.

I guess I have no proof available saying that's safer, but I would think so unless the fire retardants are a problem.

Last edited:

MCH

Major Contributor
I figured this might be the right place to ask this.
Any opinions on these batotect corners?

Let's face it, I don't live alone and this is the only discrete enough alternative I have found for corner absorbers that might not trigger a "no way!" from family members.

PS: Regarding the previous discussion, when it comes to foam it is not only the material or the density but also and importantly the structure of the foam (i.e. open cell vs closed cell...)

Vanx

I bought IsoBond to avoid issues with rockwool, but unfortunately discovered the following..

These panels do release a lot of airborne plastic fibers (that are worse than organic rockwool fibers, as they get trapped and do not dissolve in the lungs).

The plus of IsoBond is avoiding VOC, formaldehyde etc. vs the rockwool, but I think I'll have to wrap them in thin plastic nonetheless... as the Camira Cara fabric is not sufficient in avoiding micro plastics to get out (plus, ironically, being the cara fabric made of plastic fibers, I noticed it also looses some strands
facepalm.gif
)

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I bought IsoBond to avoid issues with rockwool, but unfortunately discovered the following..

These panels do release a lot of airborne plastic fibers (that are worse than organic rockwool fibers, as they get trapped and do not dissolve in the lungs).

The plus of IsoBond is avoiding VOC, formaldehyde etc. vs the rockwool, but I think I'll have to wrap them in thin plastic nonetheless... as the Camira Cara fabric is not sufficient in avoiding micro plastics to get out (plus, ironically, being the cara fabric made of plastic fibers, I noticed it also looses some strands
facepalm.gif
)
Basotect doesn’t release anything imo.

It’s like a block of cheese compared to all the foams i used in my life.

Kundroc

facepalm.gif
)
Fibers from IsoBond don't break into small - microscopic- particles in contrast to Rockwool. This property avoids respiratory irritations from IsoBond. See here (in German): Caruso-Iso Bond

If you want to avoid fibers sticking through the fabric you are covering your panels with, try wrapping them with acoustic fleece. Or you may install the panels into a frame and wrap the frame with fabric to avoid direct contact between the two.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
my pet panels are brazilian, but I can confirm that the stufff that comes off over time is not near fine enough to cause problems.

FeddyLost

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If you vacuum clean your room regularly, it's not a problem, because these fibers are bigger than rockwool fibers and don't break into small glass particles. Also, from my experience, these sheets release fibers only when you physically work with them (cut, fix, bend or stick somewhere).
Anyway, I don't use polyesther sheets without wood wool panels in front and rockwool without PE film.
Just to be safe.

Buldogger

I have also been looking around for a few months to make some acoustic improvements in my living room. All rockwool-based panels immediately dropped out because of health hazards. I have over 30cm sitting as roof insulation, safely encapsulated, however in my living room I don't want to take any risks.

That's why I started looking at basotect anyway. Now have an order running in Germany from schaumstoffdiscounter for a total of twenty-five panels of 10cm basotect. All panels will be sprayed in a RAL colours of my walls and ceiling. I'm also going to glue several panels into basstraps 20cm thick-I know it could be better, but hey, it's still a living room, of course. Everything is going to be fixed to the walls with a small airgap of 3cm, to get a bit more out of the panels.

I have also ordered a pile of 3cm panels, to quit down the techniques of my sump under my aquarium-hopefully that's enough(my moving bed does make a lot of noise...).

The guys there were super helpful and even offered to send me some samples of the ral colours between I was in doubt.

Top Bottom