• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Rockwool and breathing and alternative or help

Bliman

Hi all,
I was testing to get rid of the first reflection points in my room. I also use Acourate to get everything right afterwards.
I was testing how things changed where I put the rockwool https://www.hubo.be/nl/p/rockwool-rocksono-base-isolatieplaat-100x60x4-5-cm-r1-2-7-2ma/883072.html
Now I got the best effect when I put it on the speakers 'one sheet)(It is difficult to place it on the ceiling)and laying in front of the speakers on the floor (2sheets each side)(with something underneath it to make it work even better) and one on the sidewall (two sheets).
I considered it a temporary solution. It is also my sleeping room.
Now I am in my forties and when I was young I had problems with asthma. Now a few weeks back I am getting a problem with my lungs again.
And I was searching what could be the cause of it (like more mist at this time of year and such) and then I thought it could be the rockwool (which is bare for the moment only the one on the side is wrapped in a sheet). And I started googling and it seems like it very well could come from it.
Now my question is with what can I replace it with that has the same properties but is absolutely safe or with what should I wrap it so it absolutely doesn't pose a problem anymore and doesn't hinder its properties? I don't want to hurt my lungs.
Thank you for the suggestions.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think you would find Basotect (a proprietary melamine foam) the only alternative that would work as well as dense fibres against low frequencies.

it's a patented formula though by BASF, so you're likely to pay much more per meter square than you would do for fibreglass or rockwool. However, it's one of the finest material i have ever worked with, it doesn't discolor, it doesn't release any fine particles and it's fairly stiff (but not dense) so it doesn't tear or break very easily.

ppataki

Major Contributor
Or you can try Caruso Iso Bond
100% polyester

I am using them now in my living room

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
with what should I wrap it so it absolutely doesn't pose a problem anymore and doesn't hinder its properties? I don't want to hurt my lungs.

Wait i just read this, you should absolutely cover your rockwool with something, preferably with a fabric that is acoustically transparent.

OP
B

Bliman

Wait i just read this, you should absolutely cover your rockwool with something, preferably with a fabric that is acoustically transparent.
Yeah I used it bare for a few months now. And for a few weeks I am getting trouble with my lungs. I now have got rid of it in my room because I don't trust it.
I hope I don't have lasting damage (it is also my sleeping room) I thought it was safe.
I really want to thank you for the suggestion and I will research it (do you know it is absolutely safe?).
This seems like a good place to buy it https://www.panasorb.eu/index.php?s...-basotect/&seo=foam-made-of-basotect-absorber . I live in Belgium. Do I have to buy it in the same thickness as Rockwool to have the same effect?
Also thank you ppataki for the suggestion.

MCH

Major Contributor
Hi Bliman,
In principle materials to be used in construction need to comply to certain emission regulations and of course, should be safe if you use them properly (and this is important, i assume you are not a professional). Regulations might be more or less strict depending on where you are located, but the materials named in this thread are all well known. I would suggest you to try to get the safety data sheet of the specific grade you are using or plan to use and ask your doctor.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah I used it bare for a few months now. And for a few weeks I am getting trouble with my lungs. I now have got rid of it in my room because I don't trust it.
I hope I don't have lasting damage (it is also my sleeping room) I thought it was safe.
I really want to thank you for the suggestion and I will research it (do you know it is absolutely safe?).
This seems like a good place to buy it https://www.panasorb.eu/index.php?seo_c=lng/en/foam-made-of-basotect/&seo=foam-made-of-basotect-absorber . I live in Belgium. Do I have to buy it in the same thickness as Rockwool to have the same effect?
Also thank you ppataki for the suggestion.

I ordered it from the same place, and yes it has to the be the same thickness. It's super safe, you would notice it the moment you touch the material. it's something special.

I would take rockwool out immediately, this kind of material should be in walls and not exposed like that. you need to make a decision of either covering it with fabric or tossing it out.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
Or you can try Caruso Iso Bond
100% polyester

I am using them now in my living room

I use polyester, too.
the best is that you can reuse them in another place and don't have to replace them in 5-10 years

Kvalsvoll

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
RW must be covered with fabric or other reasonably airtight material, to prevent dust from the isolation material to be able to freely circulate into the air. It is also a pain to work with - virus-safe clothing/suit, gloves, mask, or you get itching.

There are several alternatives available now today, they can be much better to work with and do not produce any dust particles. Wooden-based isolation is one alternative, then you have the Dacron/polyester types, all those work equally good for acoustics, compared to RW or other traditional building isolation.

Frgirard

Major Contributor
Hi all,
I was testing to get rid of the first reflection points in my room. I also use Acourate to get everything right afterwards.
I was testing how things changed where I put the rockwool https://www.hubo.be/nl/p/rockwool-rocksono-base-isolatieplaat-100x60x4-5-cm-r1-2-7-2ma/883072.html
Now I got the best effect when I put it on the speakers 'one sheet)(It is difficult to place it on the ceiling)and laying in front of the speakers on the floor (2sheets each side)(with something underneath it to make it work even better) and one on the sidewall (two sheets).
I considered it a temporary solution. It is also my sleeping room.
Now I am in my forties and when I was young I had problems with asthma. Now a few weeks back I am getting a problem with my lungs again.
And I was searching what could be the cause of it (like more mist at this time of year and such) and then I thought it could be the rockwool (which is bare for the moment only the one on the side is wrapped in a sheet). And I started googling and it seems like it very well could come from it.
Now my question is with what can I replace it with that has the same properties but is absolutely safe or with what should I wrap it so it absolutely doesn't pose a problem anymore and doesn't hinder its properties? I don't want to hurt my lungs.
Thank you for the suggestions.
Caruso isobond.
Example.

https://www.don-audio.com/CARUSO-ISO-BONDZ-WLG-040-Akustikvlies-Schallabsorber-Iso-bond-30mm

Ofcourse use the right thick with the right GFR the (porosity or air flow resistivity ) and the greater area for the target wanted.

You can simulate in the link below.

Last edited:

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
B

Bliman

Thanks for all the help.
It seems like it goes between Basotect and Caruso ISO BOND. It seems like Caruso is more expensive and a little bit more absorbent in the low frequencies.
It seems like the thickness has to be the same for both and also compared to Rockwool.
Can someone say how both materials are? I mean are they quite stiff or do they drop a lot? Like for example when I laid out the Rockwool on the speakers they dropped a little bit because they overhang. Maybe stiff would be better then.
It is difficult to find if they are safe (Caruso looks safe because they use it in an office and I think that Basotect is safe because it seems sponges are made out of it).

OP
B

Bliman

From the same link you shared.
Thank you very much. And how did you find the service? Did you also work with Caruso and if yes what did you find?
If others have comparisons between the two that would be great.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you very much. And how did you find the service? Did you also work with Caruso and if yes what did you find?
If others have comparisons between the two that would be great.

if the price is similar i would buy Basotect and I would not look back. The service was okay.

Zoomer

Basotect doesn't drop. it's like a very smooth sponge cake that doesn't crumble.
Did you use it uncovered or with covering? I'm asking because I've got a sample of melamine foam (not Basotec) and that is quite easily damaged, not suited to be used unprotected. Is Basotec different in that way?

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Did you use it uncovered or with covering? I'm asking because I've got a sample of melamine foam (not Basotec) and that is quite easily damaged, not suited to be used unprotected. Is Basotec different in that way?
Basotect can only be damaged if you’re really rough with it. It will crack like Ice though it won’t disintegrate.

JSmith

Master Contributor
Yeah, nah... don't use exposed rockwool;

It is said that fibers with a length of 20 μm or longer having a long half-life tend to cause fibrosis or cancer because of their low degradation in the living body

JSmith

Top Bottom