• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME changes DAC-chip

Music1969

Major Contributor
I wish they have used 9038q.

No hump

1635519860415.png

Music1969

Major Contributor
I wonder if RME has handled the "ESS bump".

I asked @MC_RME in the ADI-2 thread to share SMPTE/DIN Ratio vs dBFS plot

We know they have it ! :D

The fact that it is not shared, I have to assume the hump is there.

Not that I am claiming it to be an audible issue. More a technical excellence thing

jamca

Has anyone photo from the PCB of Adi 2 fs with the ESS Sabre chip?

jamca

I asked @MC_RME in the ADI-2 thread to share SMPTE/DIN Ratio vs dBFS plot

We know they have it ! :D

The fact that it is not shared, I have to assume the hump is there.

Not that I am claiming it to be an audible issue. More a technical excellence thing
Don’t wait for reply as everything that “harms” Rme is never shared… in contrast is hided and “locked” . So i suppose too that the hump is there.

holbob

Don’t wait for reply as everything that “harms” Rme is never shared… in contrast is hided and “locked” . So i suppose too that the hump is there.

Sounds to me like the only person with the hump is you.

jamca

Sounds to me like the only person with the hump is you.
I never offented anyone as you do to me, although you don’t know me. I just wanted some answers that i did not take, in contrast all threads with the subject are locked. What else to say… no further comments from me in this forum.

dazzerfong

Honestly, if you're still bellyaching, just return/sell the RME and get the Aune S16 which you described as more "smoother, more musical, and less “piercing”". If a $700 DAC sounds better to you than a $1200 DAC, why would you not choose the $700 one?

skyfly

FYI, ESS ES9038Q2M newsletter had this: . . . previously only available in the PRO series of DACs . . . . avoiding the noise modulation

ES9038Q2M Debuts in Vivo’s new Xplay 6 Flagship Smartphone
About the ES9028 SABRE DAC

The ES9038Q2M SABRE DAC is a high-performance 32-bit digital to analog converter and uses the new patented 32-bit HyperStream II
architecture previously only available in the PRO series of DACs. HyperStream II allows for the incredibly low noise that remains stable
over all input levels, avoiding the noise modulation that can become perceptible in competing solutions. It also delivers a dynamic range
(DNR) of up to 129dB and total harmonic distortion plus noise of -120dB (THD+N) – a performance level that will satisfy the most
demanding audio enthusiasts.

©2020 ESS Technology.

C. Cook

Late to this thread, but do you or anyone else happen to know why RME initially changed the AKM chip before the fire? TMK, they didn't put out a press release or even distinguish between the versions other than they started listing the new AKM chip when they switched.

Trell

Major Contributor
Late to this thread, but do you or anyone else happen to know why RME initially changed the AKM chip before the fire? TMK, they didn't put out a press release or even distinguish between the versions other than they started listing the new AKM chip when they switched.

You’re real insistent on this in several threads. Why don’t you ask RME, unless you won’t believe them in any case?

Any answer you get on this forum will necessary be based on what RME has said in any case, for who else can say why RME did what they did?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

From the horses mouth. Can we put this line of enquiry to bed now? The "V1" and "v2" (4490/4493 chips) have both been measured here with marginal differences - I would suggest a real world difference of nothing.much at all.

I would agree that some obvious designation would have been useful, especially as v2 came with a better remote- hopefully reputable retailers showed the correct pics and chip specs around the changeover but you do seem to be fishing for something. If so , just state it.

Trell

Major Contributor

From the horses mouth. Can we put this line of enquiry to bed now? The "V1" and "v2" (4490/4493 chips) have both been measured here with marginal differences - I would suggest a real world difference of nothing.much at all.

I would agree that some obvious designation would have been useful, especially as v2 came with a better remote- hopefully reputable retailers showed the correct pics and chip specs around the changeover but you do seem to be fishing for something. If so , just state it.

Agree, and the change to AK4493 was over three [edit: two] years ago for the ADI-2 DAC.

RME info why they last year changed to ESS IC and what to expect from that change is outstanding!

Last edited:

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Agree, and the change to AK4493 was over three years ago for the ADI-2 DAC.
And it's an upgrade to a better chip of the same line, a very natural path. This is not a suspicious change in direction or nothing remotely similar. What can possibly be the issue with that? I can understand the speculations about ESS hump/no hump, but not this one really.

Trell

Major Contributor
And it's an upgrade to a better chip of the same line, a very natural path. This is not a suspicious change in direction or nothing remotely similar. What can possibly be the issue with that? I can understand the speculations about ESS hump/no hump, but not this one really.

Exactly!

I corrected my post as the change was over two years ago, not three as I wrote.

OP
Mulder

Mulder

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
But it would be nice if RME could publish slightly more detailed measurement values of the ESS version of the DAC.

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But it would be nice if RME could publish slightly more detailed measurement values of the ESS version of the DAC.
Which measurements do you miss?

https://www.rme-audio.de/adi-2-dac.html

The updated ADI-2 DAC uses ESS's ES9028Q2M in a special circuit variant developed by RME engineers that allows the chip to perform at its best. With noise levels of 123 dBA, distortion less than -120 dB, or THD+N of -116 dB, the device delivers outstanding measured values, and allows the IEM output to reach a sensational low noise level of -121 dBu. In addition, there is +2.5 dB of digital headroom, so that high intersample peaks do not produce any audible distortion. The reserve in volume setting results in a still undistorted analog output signal even at a volume setting of +2.5 dB.

Besides, if what is at stake here is company credibility, it's better to send a unit to amir for testing. I bet they would be close enough to make a differentiation between both with statistical certainty almost impossible. Or show the ESS version is actually better... xD

If they say the unit is the same, it would be ridiculous on my part to doubt it just because one of the hundred components is different. Let's remember, a difference which I'm being informed about with absolute transparency. Furthermore, any change in any component can potentially affect sound quality, so we should be paying attention to the tiniest detail... complete nonsense to me.

Of course you can ask for more details as suggested here.

Last edited:

csup

RME says they have no plan to resume using AKM DACs in the ADI-2 DAC, although maybe they're just saying that so as to keep interest high in their currently-available revision.

A little sad for me, as I continue to avoid ESS products as I have since the 90s.

Top Bottom