• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME Babyface Pro FS VS RME ADI-2 DAC FS difference in sound quality??

Zensō

Major Contributor
from my research, you need top of the line headphones and top of the line speakers, and to learn how to listen, the differences are very subtle minuscule in that most people without trained ears and high end equipment probably can't tell a difference.
I guess my Genelec monitors and Sennheiser HD800S headphones aren’t good enough. Either that or it’s my tin ears. The good news is that I don’t need to spend $10K on an audio interface and a lowly RME will do. :)

Last edited:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The fact I can hear a super slight difference in snare attack and tail switching between NOS and SHARP filters on the RME ADI-2 DAC already suggests there must be some audible difference.
NOS is shit, it makes sense that you hear a difference. It does not result in a proper reconstruction of sound.

OP
B

bassfatcat

The fact I can hear a super slight difference in snare attack and tail switching between NOS and SHARP filters on the RME ADI-2 DAC already suggests there must be some audible difference.

I could see Babyface pro FS sounding almost exactly the same, but I bet a snare drum would be slightly different from the RME ADI-2 DAC

you mentioned products aimed towards professional market. I read Gearspace all the time and they're constantly debating on which 2,000 to 10,000$ d/a and a/d converters sound better and sharing their experince, there's LYNX hilo, Merging Anubis/Hapi, Lavry Gold, Prism Lyra, Crane song solaris, some even say the DCS 952 from 1995 is still top of line (still in many mastering studios btw)

from my research, you need top of the line headphones and top of the line speakers, and to learn how to listen, the differences are very subtle minuscule in that most people without trained ears and high end equipment probably can't tell a difference.

As for me, I can barely tell a difference myself, and I question the need for such high end converters in this day now after watching these videos, but I'm probably just too inexperienced to hear the sound.

Thank you for providing valuable feedback.

Thank you~~

Top Bottom