• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME Babyface Pro FS VS RME ADI-2 DAC FS difference in sound quality??

bassfatcat

Hello,

"Hello everyone, I would like to ask if there is no significant difference in sound quality between these two audio interfaces, RME Babyface Pro FS (AKM) and RME ADI-2 DAC FS." (AKM)

Thank you all.

Last edited:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I bet the answer is “no”…

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello everyone, I would like to ask if there is no significant difference in sound quality between these two audio interfaces, RME Babyface Pro FS (AKM) and RME ADI-2 DAC FS." (AKM)
ADI-2 DAC FS is not an "Audio interface". It's a DAC.

If you need for powerful headphones output: ADI-2 DAC
If you do need analog inputs/ADC: Babyface.

DAC-wise, both will sound the same.

Period.

unpluggged

I would like to ask if there is no significant difference in sound quality between these two audio interfaces, RME Babyface Pro FS (AKM) and RME ADI-2 DAC FS
Do you intend to use the ADI-2 DAC's DSP features?

Zensō

Major Contributor
My experience, having owned multiple copies of the Babyface Pro (FS and non-FS) and ADI-2 DAC FS, is that they sound identical when all DSP is turned off in the ADI-2. Of course, the ADI-2 offers many more features and allows for extensive DSP within the device. On the other hand, the Babyface is also an ADC and enables the use of TotalMix FX, RME’s mixing/routing software.

OP
B

bassfatcat

ADI-2 DAC FS is not an "Audio interface". It's a DAC.

If you need for powerful headphones output: ADI-2 DAC
If you do need analog inputs/ADC: Babyface.

DAC-wise, both will sound the same.

Period.
Thank you.

I have an RME Babyface Pro FS (AKM) and I prioritize sound quality in my usage. I saw that RME has the ADI, and I was wondering if the sound quality would be better with it.

OP
B

bassfatcat

My experience, having owned multiple copies of the Babyface Pro (FS and non-FS) and ADI-2 DAC FS, is that they sound identical when all DSP is turned off in the ADI-2. Of course, the ADI-2 offers many more features and allows for extensive DSP within the device. On the other hand, the Babyface is also an ADC and enables the use of TotalMix FX, RME’s mixing/routing software.
So, if I understand correctly, the sound quality would be the same and there would be no need to upgrade to the ADI DAC.

Zensō

Major Contributor
So, if I understand correctly, the sound quality would be the same and there would be no need to upgrade to the ADI DAC.
Correct. Only switch to the ADI if you need the hardware DSP.

Last edited:

Rmar

What does the "Babyface" do. I have the ADI2 FS DAC and am very satisfied with it. The better the recordings, the better they will sound through the ADI2 DAC.

Vincent Kars

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
You can compare the DAC parts here:

The ADI is technically the better of the two but you might wonder if it is audible.

OP
B

bassfatcat

What does the "Babyface" do. I have the ADI2 FS DAC and am very satisfied with it. The better the recordings, the better they will sound through the ADI2 DAC.
Babyface Pro FS is used for listening, not for recording.
I'm seeking advice from knowledgeable individuals to clarify the differences in sound quality compared to the ADI2 FS DAC.
Thank you for your input.

OP
B

bassfatcat

You can compare the DAC parts here:

The ADI is technically the better of the two but you might wonder if it is audible.
After reviewing the tests, I understand the differences in dynamics and THD (Total Harmonic Distortion).
However, I am unable to comprehend the extent of the sound difference between the two.
Thank you, brother, for providing the reference. I am grateful.

Zensō

Major Contributor
After reviewing the tests, I understand the differences in dynamics and THD (Total Harmonic Distortion).
However, I am unable to comprehend the extent of the sound difference between the two.
Thank you, brother, for providing the reference. I am grateful.
In my experience of owning both, there is no difference in sound; the difference is in features and functionality only.

OP
B

bassfatcat

In my experience of owning both, there is no difference in sound; the difference is in features and functionality only.
After reading many articles and discussions, I have been pondering.
I wonder if it is related to the adjustments made to Xilinx FPGA.
Are they aligning the sound of all product lines?
Of course, this answer is uncertain.
It could be based on the experiences shared by fellow users who own physical devices.

Gratitude.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Are they aligning the sound of all product lines?
Of course, this answer is uncertain.

If by aligning, you mean looking to have a flat frequency response, low distortion and low noise...in other words pursuing high fidelity, then I'd have to assume the answer is yes. There is no evidence anyone is trying to make them sound different, just accurate. Measurements would reveal any kind of 'voicing.'

Top Bottom