• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME Babyface FS Pro, Motu Ultralite MK5, or Other Recomandation (help immensely appreciated)

hi_Muira

Hi Friends!

I've been looking to upgrade my current audio interface to something that better suits my needs. I've basically narrowed it down to two interfaces:

- RME Babyface FS Pro
- Motu Ultralite Mk5

What really matters to me as a electronic music producer is clean audio with not to much coloring and connectivity. Although I'm willing to sacrifice in terms of connectivity for the babyface if it has better ADC. I feel like every chart I've seen usually puts the Motu above the Babyface in what ever category its rated in so you'd think it'd be an obvious choice. But my two brain cells say otherwise haha.

I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me decide between the two. Or even suggest another one in a similar price range (>$1,400). Any help would be immensely appreciated.

Thanks!

My Current Setup is:
-MacBook Pro M1
-Apollo Arrow (Solo)
-Yamaha Hs8 Monitors
-Audeze LCD-X Headphone

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Both devices can be considered very proficient sound wise and transparent (no coloration). Both have good driver for PC, Mac.

So I would go by features, connectivity and budget.

Yes RME certainly has absolute pro worldclass customer support.

OP
hi_Muira

hi_Muira

Both devices can be considered very proficient sound wise and transparent (no coloration). Both have good driver for PC, Mac.

So I would go by features, connectivity and budget.

Yes RME certainly has absolute pro worldclass customer support.
Thank you so much for your input on this.

I have read horror stories about Motu's drivers but perhaps they're not a problem on Mac. And everyone seems to mention that about RME's support so it must be way amazing.

richpjr

Thank you so much for your input on this.

I have read horror stories about Motu's drivers but perhaps they're not a problem on Mac. And everyone seems to mention that about RME's support so it must be way amazing.
They have had issues on the Windows side in the past, but they have stabilized. On a Mac they have been much more stable and I would not expect it to be an issue.

RMEs support and driver stability has always been stellar and their reputation well deserved, but you do pay for it. I greatly prefer the form factor of the MK5 myself.

jae

Major Contributor
If you don't need multichannel out or digital input, why not MOTU M4?

Davide

Mk5 owner here.
Price/performance/feature ratio is in favour of Motu.
The only thing about Babyface I regret is the switch to change the output level, but with an additional passive attenuator you get the same results.
However, you should also evaluate Apogee Boom and Apollo Solo...

OP
hi_Muira

hi_Muira

If you don't need multichannel out or digital input, why not MOTU M4?
I'm sorry I should have specified, I record alot of synths and instruments to then I/O capabilities of the mk5 are very clutch. I will look into the M4 though. Thank you so much for the suggestion:)

OP
hi_Muira

hi_Muira

They have had issues on the Windows side in the past, but they have stabilized. On a Mac they have been much more stable and I would not expect it to be an issue.

RMEs support and driver stability has always been stellar and their reputation well deserved, but you do pay for it. I greatly prefer the form factor of the MK5 myself.
Thats actually really good to hear, because there's nothing more frustrating than scraping forums from 2008 for solutions to problems with equipment haha. And yea, I totally agree with you, the mk5 does look really sleek.

Thank you so much for your input. it really means a lot!

OP
hi_Muira

hi_Muira

Mk5 owner here.
Price/performance/feature ratio is in favour of Motu.
The only thing about Babyface I regret is the switch to change the output level, but with an additional passive attenuator you get the same results.
However, you should also evaluate Apogee Boom and Apollo Solo...
It is nearly half the price of the babyface, so I agree with you that you get way more milage for features per dollar.

Hmmm are you talking about the +19dBu on the underside? What exactly does that do? doesn't it just send more signal to the drivers or something?

I'm actually coming from the Apollo arrow which is basically the same as the solo just an older version. I'm kinda over UA and want to move on from their products. I'll look into the apogee boom! Thank you so much for the suggestion:)

Davide

Hmmm are you talking about the +19dBu on the underside? What exactly does that do? doesn't it just send more signal to the drivers or something?
It is used to change the output level according to the input sensitivity of what you need to connect

Top Bottom