• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME ADI2 PRO FS R be Filters

Sparky

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hi all,

Just a quick question really. Is there any way to NOT use any of the filters included in the RME ADI2 PRO?
I'm using Genelec 8341 SAM Speakers which have their own DSP in-built so do not want any filtering applied to the signal before the SAM speakers.

Is this possible at all??

unpluggged

1) If you are referring to DAC reconstruction filters, then the only way to bypass them is to connect your speakers digitally (and that's how I would do it in the first place).
2) If you are talking about DSP effects (EQ, bass/treble, dynamic loudness, volume control, etc) — then just disable these functions. But I'd use at least the volume control and definitely the dynamic loudness function. After all, these are the features that make this converter so special as a monitoring device.

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
Ahhhh. So I'll be connecting the Genelecs via AES/EBU 1/2 output and my two subs via balanced XLR 3/4.

That's great! So only the balanced output will be affected but I'm not bothered about that as the subs will have a typical LPF applied at around 80hz.

Definitely won't be using tone controls but will 100% be using the loudness function!!

Is there anything else you feel I should know?

unpluggged

Ahhhh. So I'll be connecting the Genelecs via AES/EBU 1/2 output and my two subs via balanced XLR 3/4.
Unfortunately, XLR outputs (and also the back TRS outputs) are the main outputs (1/2), they can't output channels 3/4 (these are only output via the front left jack).

Concerning the digital out, there is a quirk. In the "Device Mode / DSD" setup screen, the option "Dig. Out Source" controls whether the digital out gets the same processing as the main out (1/2) or not. So if you want the digital out to behave like main out (including volume and dynamic loudness control), you set this option to "Main Out" (when I had my HEDD monitors, that's how I used them — I didn't use a sub, though), otherwise, to "Default". It may be worth to play around with it.

I hope somebody else will be able to comment on how to set up you subs properly in this case (it would be useful to know their model and whether they can be controlled by GLM).

Trell

Major Contributor
You'll have to check the manual of the ADI-2 Pro if the volume set by ADI-2 Pro can be ganged for the AES and XLR 3/4 output, and how that will work in practice.

For SPL level matching the Genelecs and the subwoofers recall that you can even adjust the volume using GLM and just set it to a value (and store it in 8341A). This can give you some extra flexibility.

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
Unfortunately, XLR outputs (and also the back TRS outputs) are the main outputs (1/2), they can't output channels 3/4 (these are only output via the front left jack).

Concerning the digital out, there is a quirk. In the "Device Mode / DSD" setup screen, the option "Dig. Out Source" controls whether the digital out gets the same processing as the main out (1/2) or not. So if you want the digital out to behave like main out (including volume and dynamic loudness control), you set this option to "Main Out" (when I had my HEDD monitors, that's how I used them — I didn't use a sub, though), otherwise, to "Default". It may be worth to play around with it.

I hope somebody else will be able to comment on how to set up you subs properly in this case (it would be useful to know their model and whether they can be controlled by GLM).
Ok. It looks like I'm going to have to have a good read of the manual I think!

I know it's possible though because I've noticed a few threads about it over the last couple of weeks.

My subs are the Arendal 1723 S2 so not controllable via GLM.

Top Bottom