• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME ADI-2 Pro Has Arrived

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I think the most important thing would be the measure the thing. So let me know if you are willing to brave the rain/or paddle your way to south sound to do that here. :)

How about I send you the Schiit Fulla 2 that was the temporary stand-in?

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Cool. What ad da chips is it using? I see an AKM in there

Edit found that one, the ad

https://www.akm.com/akm/en/product/datasheet1/?partno=AK5574EN

IMG_1909-2.jpg

The AKM ADDA family -- 2 x AKM4490EQ DAC, 1 x AKM5574 ADC, 1 x AKM4137EQ AKM4127VF SRC

Last edited:
OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Goofing around with the display and playing a bass torture track to see how things go.

I'm wearing HiFi Man HE 400i open back headphones. So the sound you're hearing is what is leaking out of the phones into the built-in mic in the iPhone.

Wombat

Master Contributor
OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
That sure is a pretty display....

What I'm not sure came through the video or not, and matters for DAW work, is the low latency of the meters. I'm sure there is some, but subjectively I couldn't detect it.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Very interested to see how this measures and how you subjectively find the sound. To me I think we are probably at the point where esoteric expensive domestic Hifi components are dead.

So far, I find the the ADI-2 Pro to be dead neutral, but not clinical or sterile. It's got enough juice to play quite loudly with any cans I own at any volume I'd want to listen to for any reasonable duration.

I've just scratched the surface of its capabilities. I haven't played with the loudness or PEQ yet, nor have I used it in a balanced headphone config, which gives more power output.

As for comparison to domestic hi fi, the combination of the ADI-2 Pro plus the Dynaudio active monitors makes for a very, very good nearfield experience, that is also highly configurable via EQ. Granted, it's not cheap -- the combination of the two, plus some Iso Acoustics stands and Belden/Neutrik XLR cables, is ~$3400, which is a lot more than most are willing to spend for desktop audio.

I'll probably add in the matching Dynaudio 18s sub, which would raise the price to $5400, but at that point I should end up with a reference calibre small scale home studio which will lose nothing in the near field / smaller room to the living room rig (and will probably better it in many ways).

I don't know of any domestic hi fi component that matches all of the RME's features -- at any price, actually.

Last edited:

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Christof Faller is a clever guy, he has been working on a project for a well known French amplifier manufacturer of whom you are familiar!
Christof creates the EQ remotely from the measurements you make of your room, using the Illusonic software , we have sold it to customers who want to ‘actvate’ Their passive speakers or integrate subs or upmix two channel, the Smyth brothers uses Christof’s upmix tech for their ‘realiser’.
Keith
Intriguing Keith.
I have been considering doing something to allow room correction when using LPs and CDs in my current system. The amp has the capability to do it, and there has been much discussion about them implementing it but so far nowt. I don't know whether their apparently inept software development time is genuine, a hardware limitation or management problem, but it is real.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
You are more than welcome to borrow one, the software is step by step and straightforward , Christof creates the correction ,he will discuss and amend as you choose , you could even use it to activate your horns if you wished!
Keith

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So far, I find the the ADI-2 Pro to be dead neutral, but not clinical or sterile. It's got enough juice to play quite loudly with any cans I own at any volume I'd want to listen to for any reasonable duration.

I've just scratched the surface of its capabilities. I haven't played with the loudness or PEQ yet, nor have I used it in a balanced headphone config, which gives more power output.

As for comparison to domestic hi fi, the combination of the ADI-2 Pro plus the Dynaudio active monitors makes for a very, very good nearfield experience, that is also highly configurable via EQ. Granted, it's not cheap -- the combination of the two, plus some Iso Acoustics stands and Belden/Neutrik XLR cables, is ~$3400, which is a lot more than most are willing to spend for desktop audio.

I'll probably add in the matching Dynaudio 18s sub, which would raise the price to $5400, but at that point I should end up with a reference calibre small scale home studio which will lose nothing in the near field / smaller room to the living room rig (and will probably better it in many ways).

I don't know of any domestic hi fi component that matches all of the RME's features -- at any price, actually.

I recently purchased an Antelope Zen Tour. It has on board FPGA based effects, and emulations. So far most of the effects are your regular compressor, EQ, etc. etc. of various analog gear. And various old guitar amps. Some are going to be available to emulate many classic microphones. As new ones become available you download them. It also is remote controllable over a network from phone, tablet or computer. The latter being attractive to me for live on location recording. Is a good time for such gear. I think quality ADC and DAC plus analog circuitry that goes with it has been worked out to a very high level. So creative uses of DSP and interfacing is where innovations lie in the near future.

Here are links to some of the EQ and compressor emulations available just as an example.

http://en.antelopeaudio.com/hardware-based-fpga-effects/eq/

http://en.antelopeaudio.com/hardware-based-fpga-effects/compressors/

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You are more than welcome to borrow one, the software is step by step and straightforward , Christof creates the correction ,he will discuss and amend as you choose , you could even use it to activate your horns if you wished!
Keith
I may well try that apart from the unsuitability of Devialet to deal with a 3-way easily. I'd probably just go for 2 more Job 225s if I was going to do that.
Lets see how the latest update pans out on my Original d'Atelier when it gets back.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I recently purchased an Antelope Zen Tour. It has on board FPGA based effects, and emulations. So far most of the effects are your regular compressor, EQ, etc. etc. of various analog gear. And various old guitar amps. Some are going to be available to emulate many classic microphones. As new ones become available you download them. It also is remote controllable over a network from phone, tablet or computer. The latter being attractive to me for live on location recording. Is a good time for such gear. I think quality ADC and DAC plus analog circuitry that goes with it has been worked out to a very high level. So creative uses of DSP and interfacing is where innovations lie in the near future.

Here are links to some of the EQ and compressor emulations available just as an example.

http://en.antelopeaudio.com/hardware-based-fpga-effects/eq/

http://en.antelopeaudio.com/hardware-based-fpga-effects/compressors/

Nice. I really like the knob and the Thunderbolt port. I'm still somewhat torn on effects plugins that get implemented in the interface vs the DAW software. Quality-wise, I think the former are often better, but workflow-wise, I often prefer the later.

I agree with you regarding the level of maturity of ADDA circuitry and DSP will be the main innovation area.

What blows my mind is how many audiophiles don't accept this, or are even actively hostile to this. For analog purists I get the dogmatic rejection (although I think it's silly given how many LPs are made using digital editing), but for computer-based audiophiles I find it completely nonsensical.

Why are computer-based audiophiles engaged in the idiocy of using digital cables (USB, ethernet) as tone controls when they have DSP at their finger tips?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice. I really like the knob and the Thunderbolt port. I'm still somewhat torn on effects plugins that get implemented in the interface vs the DAW software. Quality-wise, I think the former are often better, but workflow-wise, I often prefer the later.

I agree with you regarding the level of maturity of ADDA circuitry and DSP will be the main innovation area.

What blows my mind is how many audiophiles don't accept this, or are even actively hostile to this. For analog purists I get the dogmatic rejection (although I think it's silly given how many LPs are made using digital editing), but for computer-based audiophiles I find it completely nonsensical.

Why are computer-based audiophiles engaged in the idiocy of using digital cables (USB, ethernet) as tone controls when they have DSP at their finger tips?

My preference when recording is a clean recording and process it later. If I use the effects and decide I made a bad choice you are stuck with it. Handy and zero latency for using the device for live sound though. Of course having the extra effects available even for later processing is nice as some of them I don't have for use in the DAW.

Top Bottom