• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME ADI-2 Pro as preamp for two systems simultaneously?

JackStraw5877

Howdy folks,

I've been sifting through the website now for months; please allow me to extend my gratitude to Amir, Et Al. for the education and pleasure in learning thus far...

Conventions aside, I'd appreciate any feedback on the following:

I would like to purchase an ADI-2-Pro to act as a headphone amp/dac/preamp feeding Genelecs (model undetermined) via XLR on my desktop. I'm wondering if the ADI-2-Pro could be used as a preamp for the desktop setup AND a second passive setup simultaneously in the same room via unbalanced?

Newbie alert: Could I use the AES output on the ADI-2-Pro to the Genelecs AND XLR out to a stereo amp powering Revel M105's? I've been researching AES and feel a bit confused as to how this particular connection works.

Thanks in advance, and I'm excited to finally be a part of the community.

~Brandon

Last edited:

dortreo

Hi Brandon, I can’t help you with the AES question but as for using the second set of unbalanced, yes, you could do that. I’m running dual subs with the unbalanced outputs and my amp with the XLRs.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
AES-EBU is an XLR connector based, balanced digital signal. If you output it to another system it would need a a DAC with AES-EBU input and its own volume control too (I am not sure the AES outs are attenuated digitally by the ADI-2).

This would turn the ADI-2 Pro into a "hub" for the 3 systems: headphones, analog balanced outs to Genelecs, digital balanced outs to the Revels. Quite complex but it would work. Plus separate EQs for each output. :)

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the AES out level would be fixed.
And not all Genelec have an internal DAC.

What you may do, for sure, is hang the Genelec to the Main 1+2 XLR out and the secundary system to the Phones 3+4 (with an adapter cable). You then would have 2 fully separated Stereo DACs, with dedicated EQ, Bass/Treble and volume control.

You may even send different content to each system, but (I think) only if you use the USB in multichannel mode (and clock has to remain the same)

OP
J

JackStraw5877

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to reply. I really appreciate it.

I should have noted that the Genelecs would be 83xx's.

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

If you want to connect the Genelec with a digital link (which makes sense), you can route a separate signal to them from a PC connected in USB (Multichannel mode) to the RME and connect the Genelec to the RME's AES out.
You won't have any control on the RME for this link: volume and any correction would have yo be performed from the PC app.

And of course, you may also route similtaneously a fully independant stereo signal from the PC to the Main 1+2, which has XLR and unbalanced T(R)S connectors, with volume control and all DSP functions available on the RME. (Given it's coming from another app)

Again, I think that both signals must have the same clock speed.

If you want to send the same signal from the PC to both systems, that should be no problem either, in stereo mode, since all output may be set to send the same. Note that, in that case, a volume or any change on the PC signal will impact both systems.
The volume control on the RME may then be used to balance the volumes of the secondary system to match the first one.

Last edited:

mkt

I think all those except 8320 have digital inputs.

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think all those except 8320 have digital inputs.
Indeed.
I first thought the 8320 had it too, but I just realized the manual is for both the 8320 and the 8330. The 8330 has an AES input while the 8320 does not.

OP
J

JackStraw5877

I'm fairly certain I'll be going with either the 8340 or 8331.

My source would indeed be my PC feeding the ADI-Pro via USB.

randy777

If you want to connect the Genelec with a digital link (which makes sense), you can route a separate signal to them from a PC connected in USB (Multichannel mode) to the RME and connect the Genelec to the RME's AES out.
You won't have any control on the RME for this link: volume and any correction would have yo be performed from the PC app.

I happened to ask RME on their forum about this a few days ago, whether the EQ works when going all digital from a PC via USB to the RME's AES out, as I am interested in the ADI-2 Pro as well for use with my Genelec 8341s.

It seemed from the manual that it might only work with analog signals but the reply that I got was that it would work when going from USB->AES. But being new to all this I may have misunderstood their response:

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=31253

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I happened to ask RME on their forum about this a few days ago, whether the EQ works when going all digital from a PC via USB to the RME's AES out, as I am interested in the ADI-2 Pro as well for use with my Genelec 8341s.

It seemed from the manual that it might only work with analog signals but the reply that I got was that it would work when going from USB->AES. But being new to all this I may have misunderstood their response:

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=31253
Hi
I learned something today ! Thanks !

Indeed, there is the option for "Dig. Audio source" that allows to route the EQd signal to Main 1+2 to AES in several mode.

Works only in stereo mode, though.

Last edited:

dougi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yes DSP only available on digital outs in USB 2 channel mode, not multi-channel.

1596696554561.png
1596696554561.png

1596696597393.png
1596696554561.png1596696597393.png

dougi

OP
J

JackStraw5877

Thanks again everyone. I believe that last graph shows that I could go PC -> USB -> Dig. Out Source -> AES -> 8331a AES input, essentially "bypassing" the RME Pro's DAC. Does that sound right?

And if so, I believe I'd still have the option to simultaneously go PC -> USB -> Main Output XLR -> Stereo Amp -> Passives?

Thanks for your patience as I attempt to grasp all of this new information.

dougi

Thanks again everyone. I believe that last graph shows that I could go PC -> USB -> Dig. Out Source -> AES -> 8331a AES input, essentially "bypassing" the RME Pro's DAC. Does that sound right?

And if so, I believe I'd still have the option to simultaneously go PC -> USB -> Main Output XLR -> Stereo Amp -> Passives?

Thanks for your patience as I attempt to grasp all of this new information.
Yes I believe this is the case, but the DSP Iincluding volume control) would be shared between analog 1/2 and AES unless you used the phones 3/4 output on the front for analog

OP
J

JackStraw5877

Interesting. I'm not too keen on using the phones 3/4 output on the front for anything except for headphones.

Now the internal conversation with myself begins with whether or not analog xlr 1/2 and AES sharing DSP/volume control would be a major inconvenience...

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting. I'm not too keen on using the phones 3/4 output on the front for anything except for headphones.

Now the internal conversation with myself begins with whether or not analog xlr 1/2 and AES sharing DSP/volume control would be a major inconvenience...
It mainly depends how you want to control the volume, I guess.
From a smartphone or PC app, or at hardware level ?

OP
J

JackStraw5877

Hadn't considered that, actually. Candidly I'm missing how that might affect my perception of shared DSP/volume?

Volume would probably be controlled at the hardware level with the ADI Pro's remote control and my iPad controlling song selection, etc.

randy777

In case it helps, I am looking into a similar scenario for my Genelec 8341s, and it appears the Lynx Hilo may work well for this scenario as well and support separate volume control of each system. I'm trying to decide between the ADI-2 Pro and Hilo as an interface to route a few more input sources.

Top Bottom