• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME ADI-2 Pro as digital DSP

OP
D

dehati_paul

I read somewhere the ADI-2 reduces the input signal by -24dB prior to applying DSP. Also you can check if your signal is clipping as the level meters will go red. Try RMEs DIGIcheck software to check for this to see if it is really going to be an issue in your setup.

[Edit]
From the manual, page 26:
"The ADI-2 Pro has an internal headroom of 24 dB. Extreme boosts with overlapping filters could cause an internal overload. Such an overload will be visible as it is displayed by the level meter below the EQ, as well as the channel’s level meter. Reducing the output volume will prevent any clipping as long as the headroom of 24 dB is not exceeded. In real-world operation that is always the case, the ADI-2 Pro will not distort internally."
Thanks for the headroom info. Considering I am using the RME ADI-2 Pro with digital inputs (coax) and analog outputs (XLR) (changed from the original topic, after forum member suggestions), what I still don't understand (even after reading the manual), is

1. How do the ref levels affect digital inputs (when the manual says it is about analog inputs)?

2. What is the sequence/flow of DSP, DAC, ref level adjustment and digital volume adjustments? I thought (applying common sense), that it will be

Digital input -> headroom, ref level gain adj -> DSP -> Digital volume -> DAC -> Analog output

What am I missing?

MC_RME

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
Audio Company
The ref level is discrete analog hardware, so obviously not in the digital domain. It's placed after the DAC. You can read about this in the manual.

OP
D

dehati_paul

The ref level is discrete analog hardware, so obviously not in the digital domain. It's placed after the DAC. You can read about this in the manual.
Thanks for the response, and sorry for the double posting. Will follow up on RME forum.

Top Bottom