• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME ADI-2 FS vs Topping D90LE, when not using headphones?

penguin

Hi folks!

I've tinnitus so I can't use headphones. The ADI-2 is $1232 while the D90LE is $872. I will be streaming from my computer to a couple Denton 85 Anniversary. The D90LE has BT which is nice. The DAC will be connected to a Primare I-15 amp.

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I guess you meant "RME ADI-2 DAC fs" ?
(The RME ADI-2 fs is a very different beast)

The RME has several major benefits over the Topping.
First one is full EQ (Bass + Trebble + Full Parametric EQ) and Loudness compensation.
This is more than enough to justify the choice, IMO.

Actually, the Topping just brings the Bluetooth as an argument.
Which is quite poor: Most streamers also allow BT input.

OP
P

penguin

I guess you meant "RME ADI-2 DAC fs" ?
(The RME ADI-2 fs is a very different beast)

The RME has several major benefits over the Topping.
First one is full EQ (Bass + Trebble + Full Parametric EQ) and Loudness compensation.
This is more than enough to justify the choice, IMO.

Actually, the Topping just brings the Bluetooth as an argument.
Which is quite poor: Most streamers also allow BT input.
Thank you! I guess I will not be returning the RME then. :)

Dro

I agree with RME for the feature set. While some of it might be achievable in software, having it built into a hardware device is just nicer.

But may I ask why tinnitus precludes headphone usage? I've had it for more than half my life and pretty much only use headphones.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I would just avoid spending so much in a DAC in general as there is no benefit especially with speakers... You can get an SMSL SU-8S for $300 or less... or get the Topping EX5, DX5, DX3+(This is only $200 with BT). They will all have inaudible differences and they all have remotes too.

As far as EQ; Save some money and go with a software solution. If you are going to play things like Spotify; you can use Equalify to do parametric EQ directly inside of the app.

OP
P

penguin

I agree with RME for the feature set. While some of it might be achievable in software, having it built into a hardware device is just nicer.

But may I ask why tinnitus precludes headphone usage? I've had it for more than half my life and pretty much only use headphones.
Thank you! I find when using headphones the tinnitus in my left ear gets much louder. I got tinnitus when laying flat on the couch, and I switched source on the amp and it was so loud it almost exploded the speakers.

OP
P

penguin

I would just avoid spending so much in a DAC in general as there is no benefit especially with speakers... You can get an SMSL SU-8S for $300 or less... or get the Topping EX5, DX5, DX3+(This is only $200 with BT). They will all have inaudible differences and they all have remotes too.

As far as EQ; Save some money and go with a software solution. If you are going to play things like Spotify; you can use Equalify to do parametric EQ directly inside of the app.
Thank you! Sadly the SU-8S isn't sold in Norway. I'll be using Qobuz.

tombee

I've tinnitus
I'm the same, though i'm happy to use headphones. But yes, i wonder how much of my hearing is gone and whether there's any point for me in getting a good dac or other upgrade. Looking at the same two dacs as you and even considering an ares II. I really don't think i can justify more than that.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I'm the same, though i'm happy to use headphones. But yes, i wonder how much of my hearing is gone and whether there's any point for me in getting a good dac or other upgrade. Looking at the same two dacs as you and even considering an ares II. I really don't think i can justify more than that.
Not sure if it is worth it to even spend this much with DAC performance the way it is today.

Top Bottom