• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME ADI-2 FS Version 2 DAC and Headphone Amp Review

G-rig

For devices that needs USB 3 you obviously need USB 3 cables, but not for the two RME devices I mentioned above as they are USB 2 as well as having an external power supply.
Yes, I'd just use the USB 3 port for HDD, Still deciding about external HDD (3.5" powered vs 2.5" etc). Also a bit new to RPI so don't know if you can use them for much else once they are flashed with these audio roms (volumio etc), but the drive is recognised. Don't want to introduce noise obviously but probably be fine - may as well use it as a media server too.

Last edited:

storing

Forum Donor
Why on earth would you spend $90 on a USB cable?!
$90 is completely over the top seeing proper cable design isn't that hard for USB and consequently there are decent cables for like 1/10 of that price, but to give an idea of what a bad cable does: for a company I work for I also implemented a checksum and it turned out that things like broken shielding easily and reproducibly induce checksum errors (but not on all PCs, also depends on receiving USB chip/electronics apparently) i.e. not all bits coming through they way they were sent. On the other hand even cheap cables (and not overly long) when intact typically generate no problems.

Atanasi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Does RME even call it a V2? I thought that was just a way for internet reviewers to differentiate which unit they tested, and to RME they are all "ADI-2 DAC fs" no matter which of the three chips it has inside.
I think "version 2" is a designation that originated from the title of this thread. RME puts a letter to the end of the serial number (A, B or C) that distinguishes the hardware revision.

G-rig

Yes it's probably more relevant not to skimp on optical, RCA and speaker cables/wires. The XLR cables I got a good enough quality, couldn't justify the mogami that were 2-3 times the price but a lot of it is for durability (roadies unplugging stuff all day), wouldn't change the sound I don't think. A lot of it is over the top.

350Industrial

I see multiple stores selling this on Amazon. Do you recall which seller you purchased from?
Just looked- it was "ships from Amazon, sold by Amazon". You could always order and see which version you get- that's what I had planned to do, return if rev "c"...

Grotti

Forum Donor
Just looked- it was "ships from Amazon, sold by Amazon". You could always order and see which version you get- that's what I had planned to do, return if rev "c"...
Really? You will return it, when it turns out to be "rev c"?

Just to repeat the obvious: there will be no audible difference in the performance between the AKM and the ESS version!!!

And since we talk about RME I am quite sure, that even the measurements should be similar and differences (if there would be any) would be way beyond the threshold of hearing.

So no objective reason to return it: just subjective ones...

G-rig

I wouldn't return an ess model, no audible difference and may as well get something current

TunaBug

Forum Donor
I wouldn't return an ess model, no audible difference and may as well get something current

Ordered Sunday, sold/fulfilled by Amazon, arrived today with ESS chip. I'm eager to fire it up, but I have a sick dog snoozing on my lap for a while. I'll have to be content with reading the manual in silence for a couple of hours.

amper42

Major Contributor
Ordered Sunday, sold/fulfilled by Amazon, arrived today with ESS chip. I'm eager to fire it up, but I have a sick dog snoozing on my lap for a while. I'll have to be content with reading the manual in silence for a couple of hours.

Send the RME ADI-2 DAC FS with ESS chip to @amirm for testing while your dog is recovering. :D

Last edited:

G-rig

Old stock.. :p

roog

Forum Donor
This reminds me I must get around to updating mine. I must be a couple of updates behind so far.

Can anyone say what the notable changes were, if any for the last couple of updates?

Atanasi

Forum Donor
This reminds me I must get around to updating mine. I must be a couple of updates behind so far.

Can anyone say what the notable changes were, if any for the last couple of updates?
The latest update added hardware loopback to record the playback on devices that don't have software loopback. The previous version had updates like improved jitter rejection, additional IR remote codes for programmable remote controls and UI updates.

roog

Forum Donor
The latest update added hardware loopback to record the playback on devices that don't have software loopback. The previous version had updates like improved jitter rejection, additional IR remote codes for programmable remote controls and UI updates.
Many thanks, @Atanasi as i said, I must get it sorted!

350Industrial

Really? You will return it, when it turns out to be "rev c"?

Just to repeat the obvious: there will be no audible difference in the performance between the AKM and the ESS version!!!

And since we talk about RME I am quite sure, that even the measurements should be similar and differences (if there would be any) would be way beyond the threshold of hearing.

So no objective reason to return it: just subjective ones...
Thank you for your opinion. I have my own, and yes, would have returned if received rev C, as I'm looking for a rev B. Cheers.

Grotti

Forum Donor
Thank you for your opinion. I have my own, and yes, would have returned if received rev C, as I'm looking for a rev B. Cheers.
As long as the performance is comparable on a very high level, which can be proven by science (measurements), there is no room for an "opinion". I can't see the objective reason for your rejection of the ADI-2 with the ESS chip.

Are you really expecting ESS and AKM to sound different in the implementation of RME? Like it was said before: RME is no high-end BS and they know their job, which is evident by the data they and others provide. So again: when performance is on the same high level, where is the objective reason to reject the ESS version without even considering to listen to it? If in doubt, you could conduct a proper blind test of both versions and share the results here on ASR: curious to see, if anyone could hear a difference under controlled conditions.....

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Are you really expecting ESS and AKM to sound different in the implementation of RME? Like it was said before: RME is no high-end BS and they know their job, which is evident by the data they and others provide. So again: when performance is on the same high level, where is the objective reason to reject the ESS version without even considering to listen to it? If in doubt, you could conduct a proper blind test of both versions and share the results here on ASR: curious to see, if anyone could hear a difference under controlled conditions.....
Couldn't agree more.

Back in fall 2019, I remember people claiming audible differences between V1 (4490) Vs rev2 (4493), even tho when RME told there isn't any... Now imagine things today between ESS (cold and analytical) and AKM (warm and musical).:eek:

But somehow, audiophiles know better than engineers/manufacturers what they should or shouldn't hear.

Top Bottom