• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME ADI-2 FS Version 2 DAC and Headphone Amp Review

ElNino

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have the iPhone old SE for this purpose, my old iPod is still good, however, the iOS version 9.3.5 may be not support lossless .... I can only prove it with the coming RME .....

Unfortunately the first gen iPhone SE seems to max out at 48kHz with Apple Music, even if you enable higher resolution streaming. (It properly supports 44.1kHz and 48kHz switching with the RME though, but no higher.) At least that's my experience with my first gen iPhone SE. I haven't seen this limitation documented anywhere by Apple, so it's possible there's something wrong with my setup (maybe it wants more buffer space and I'm pretty short on storage). But perhaps they made this choice because the hardware is getting too old and slow to work well when streaming higher sample rates.

Johannes AU

Unfortunately the first gen iPhone SE seems to max out at 48kHz with Apple Music, even if you enable higher resolution streaming. (It properly supports 44.1kHz and 48kHz switching with the RME though, but no higher.) At least that's my experience with my first gen iPhone SE. I haven't seen this limitation documented anywhere by Apple, so it's possible there's something wrong with my setup (maybe it wants more buffer space and I'm pretty short on storage). But perhaps they made this choice because the hardware is getting too old and slow to work well when streaming higher sample rates.

At my 1st gen SE, with iOS 14.6, it offers both download and streaming up to 24/192, I guess it works (because if I download it, the file size is huge), but cannot prove the rate, as I said, have to wait for the RME DAC to prove it ....

ElNino

At my 1st gen SE, with iOS 14.6, it offers both download and streaming up to 24/192, I guess it works (because if I download it, the file size is huge), but cannot prove the rate, as I said, have to wait for the RME DAC to prove it ....

Interesting! Maybe it's a buffering space issue for me then.

Johannes AU

Interesting! Maybe it's a buffering space issue for me then.

I will update this information after the RME DAC arrived.

Music1969

Major Contributor
==> If you want to reduce that capacitive stray current, tie the supply's output GND to mains earth or any other solid, noise-free potential (you may insert a series resistor like 1kOhms or so, it doesn't matter for the leakage current).

Grounding ADI-2 via RCA or digital coax will work too?

There's no easy way to ground the stock SMPS.

Is there a compatible 12Vdc SMPS which already has its output grounded ?

cc: @MC_RME

Grotti

Forum Donor

If you read the following posts after the one you quoted, you will see, that you don't have to change the power supply.

In fact I use my Pro fs with the stock supply and it is dead silent (speakers and headphones).

KSTR

Major Contributor

Yes, using the shell of the Coax Input with a "dummy plug" earting cable will work.
On the Pro, one can use the D-Sub studs and place a solder lug underneath for a grounding point:
1625249858910.png

I've added a 3rd connection point as the PCB mounting threads go through the bottom plate and with a short screw (M3x4), this should also be possible with the DAC model.

Remember that all this grounding is overriden (and actually better removed) when using the coax or USB input and the source / computer is earth-grounded.

KSTR

Major Contributor
If you read the following posts after the one you quoted, you will see, that you don't have to change the power supply.

In fact I use my Pro fs with the stock supply and it is dead silent (speakers and headphones).
Note that the user problem in question is when the DAC is off (in standby) but connected to the supply.

dpippel

This is the same setup I use too. If anyone else is also considering this, the iPad Mini fits perfectly on top of the RME in landscape mode (the dimensions of both units are basically identical) and if you get a magnetic cover that folds into a triangular base, the iPad actually attaches magnetically to the RME's chassis, so it's pretty rigid and you don't need a stand.

Unlike macOS, iOS does automatic sample rate switching so the sample rate shown on the RME always matches the sample rate of the track being played.
One drawback to this setup is battery life. Since the iPad isn't charging when connected to the RME, you could potentially run out of juice if your listening session goes on for several hours. How much of a real-world problem this may be is user-dependent of course.

ElNino

One drawback to this setup is battery life. Since the iPad isn't charging when connected to the RME, you could potentially run out of juice if your listening session goes on for several hours. How much of a real-world problem this may be is user-dependent of course.

The particular CCK adapter I use is the one that has both USB and lightning ports, so the iPad charges while it's connected to the RME.

amper42

Major Contributor

The Apple iPad normally has a pretty good battery life but for some reason the Apple Music app drains the battery significantly faster. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251293232
That places a significant battery life limitation on the RME/iPad combo since you can't charge and use the wired interface to ADI-2 DAC FS at the same time.

If you could only get the RME USB port to charge the iPad while accepting music. :D

Zensō

Major Contributor
The Apple iPad normally has a pretty good battery life but for some reason the Apple Music app drains the battery significantly faster. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251293232
That places a significant battery life limitation on the RME/iPad combo since you can't charge and use the wired interface to ADI-2 DAC FS at the same time.

If you could only get the RME USB port to charge the iPad while accepting music. :D
Not true. The Apple Lightning to USB-3 Camera Adapter allows for simultaneous bit perfect output and charging.

IMG_2842.jpeg

Trell

Major Contributor
Not true. The Apple Lightning to USB-3 Camera Adapter allows for simultaneous bit perfect output and charging.

View attachment 138713

A disadvantage of having the iPad/iPhone fully charged all the time is that the LiIon cell will degrade much faster than if it was just around 70% charged. In iOS there is an option for "AI controlled" charging that will charge up to 90% (80?) and then charge to 100% when the algorithm expects the user to start using the phone. Sadly, I've not found an option of just setting the max charge state.

Zensō

Major Contributor
A disadvantage of having the iPad/iPhone fully charged all the time is that the LiIon cell will degrade much faster than if it was just around 70% charged. In iOS there is an option for "AI controlled" charging that will charge up to 90% (80?) and then charge to 100% when the algorithm expects the user to start using the phone. Sadly, I've not found an option of just setting the max charge state.
I'm using Optimized Battery Charging on my iOS devices and Macs, most of which are plugged in a majority of the time. It seems to be working fine and so far battery life has been no worse than expected. In the case of my dedicated iPad streamer connected to the RME, it's plugged in 100% of the time and will never be used for anything else, so it's a non-issue with that device.

amper42

Major Contributor
I'm using Optimized Battery Charging on my iOS devices and Macs, most of which are plugged in a majority of the time. It seems to be working fine and so far battery life has been no worse than expected. In the case of my dedicated iPad streamer connected to the RME, it's plugged in 100% of the time and will never be used for anything else, so it's a non-issue with that device.

I prefer using the $100 RPi4 to wirelessly stream music from my MacBook via UPnP to the RME ADI-2 FS. It's nice having the music choices on my lap versus having to walk over to the RME to make selections. Have you found a way to control the iPad playback and music selection remotely? Or is this system mainly designed for desktop use?

Last edited:
Top Bottom