• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME ADI-2 FS Version 2 DAC and Headphone Amp Review

Zensō

Major Contributor
OK- decided to try and use the EQ on the RME and got out the manual. Im using Oratory1990 EQ for the Focal Clear.

Its a faff but getting there , but couple of questions on how to apply his particular filters:

1. Some of his gain settings are showing in tenths of a dB- eg 1.6 dB- I can only adjust gain by half dB intervals (Im not that bothered about it being that accurate, but I guess I'm doing something wrong if he suggests 1.6 and I can only dial in 1.5 dB

2. He sets up a peak filter with a Q of 7, I can only go up to Q5- so again, I must be doing something wrong.

Any ideas hive mind?
I’d suggest trying the EQ settings here:

https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/tree/master/results/oratory1990/harman_over-ear_2018/Focal Clear

These are designed so that the first 5 settings can be used for the 5 slots on the RME. Just round the numbers up or down. Be sure to turn off the bass and treble controls if you go this route.

C17C3762-0882-4656-89B5-37025B03B763.jpeg

Last edited:

Johannes AU

This page explains it: https://www.rme-audio.de/digicheck.html Note that not all functions are available on the ADI-2 and Pro because it doesn't have the same processing pipeline as some of the more full-featured RME gear.

I used to confuse this feature with the "Bit Test" feature, which is also useful. It doesn't require installing special software on the host. Basically you playback a test file on the host and the device itself tells you if it's getting a bit perfect transfer or not. Basically it gives you confidence that everything is set up correctly.

Thank you, ElNino, I will try it when the DAC arrives ...... a long wait ahead ....

Last edited:

Trell

Major Contributor
Yeah~~~ I thought I made the right decision, and prepared to wait ..... I download the pdf manual and start to read it slowly in order to understand every bits and pieces of it before I run the unit when arrived.

To me the dynamic loudness was a major point, as well as PEQ, for me when I recently bought it when wanting to upgrade to DAC with a much more powerful headphone amp. Actually, I wanted an audio interface but in the end I kept my excellent MOTU M2 for use as a microphone preamp.

The DAC have hardware relays for setting four reference levels (for analog output) that can be automatically be set by the DAC for optimum noise level. The feature "Auto ref" is on by default, I believe, and should be on to work the best with dynamic loudness.

More details on matching ref levels with external amps: https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?pid=161721#p161721

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I’d suggest trying the EQ settings here:

https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/tree/master/results/oratory1990/harman_over-ear_2018/Focal Clear

These are designed so that the first 5 settings can be used for the 5 slots on the RME. Just round the numbers up or down. Be sure to turn off the bass and treble controls if you go this route.

View attachment 138291

That is very good advice, thanks . I knew the first 5 could be used independently, just didnt twig thats what he was aiming at (the 5 band PEQ).

Zensō

Major Contributor
That is very good advice, thanks . I knew the first 5 could be used independently, just didnt twig thats what he was aiming at (the 5 band PEQ).
I compared the 5-band in RME to the corresponding 10-band in Roon on a few different headphones and found them surprisingly close, close enough that it allowed me to move away from Roon/Tidal for Apple Music Hifi.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I compared the 5-band in RME to the corresponding 10-band in Roon on a few different headphones and found them surprisingly close, close enough that it allowed me to move away from Roon/Tidal for Apple Music Hifi.
I am in the process of moving from qobuz /roon to amazon with EAPO doing the eq. But having the option to cut the pc out of the loop and eq in the rme leaves phone to chromecast audio to rme a definite option.

dpippel

What setup are you using to get Apple Music output to your RME?

Zensō

Major Contributor
What setup are you using to get Apple Music output to your RME?
Dedicated iPad (minimal apps, notifications turned off, etc.) > Apple Lightning to USB-3 Camera Adapter > RME. I ran the RME bit perfect tests and they all pass. You can see the 176.4 sample rate in the lower right of the RME screen.

B4E28D65-27CB-4A20-A387-1E9C87C50450.jpeg

Last edited:

Johannes AU

To me the dynamic loudness was a major point, as well as PEQ, for me when I recently bought it when wanting to upgrade to DAC with a much more powerful headphone amp. Actually, I wanted an audio interface but in the end I kept my excellent MOTU M2 for use as a microphone preamp.

The DAC have hardware relays for setting four reference levels (for analog output) that can be automatically be set by the DAC for optimum noise level. The feature "Auto ref" is on by default, I believe, and should be on to work the best with dynamic loudness.

More details on matching ref levels with external amps: https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?pid=161721#p161721

Can I set a fixed output at RCA for my Amp with volume control (2V input) and leave the RME headphone output variable? that said, the RME volume knob not affecting the RCA output level to an AMP?

P.S. my Amp is Yamaha WXA-50, aux input ask for 2V, I want to have the RME RCA output fixed feed to the Yamaha, and have the RME headphone output varible to the headphone, is it possible and what is the recommened setting?

Last edited:

Trell

Major Contributor
Can I set a fixed output at RCA for my Amp with volume control (2V input) and leave the RME headphone output variable? that said, the RME volume knob not affecting the RCA output level to an AMP?

P.S. my Amp is Yamaha WXA-50, aux input ask for 2V, I want to have the RME RCA output fixed feed to the Yamaha, and have the RME headphone output varible to the headphone, is it possible and what is the recommened setting?

Yes, you can lock the big volume for volume changes for the line out, but must then use the small knobs for volume change. Most of the settings on ADI-2-DAC is separate for each output and will be automatically loaded when output is changed. On my ADI-2 I've dynamic loudness on both line out and headphones, but levels are different. Similarly I've EQ on my headphones but not on my monitors that has their own calibration stored in them (they are Genelec SAM enabled monitors/subwoofer).

See "Lock Volume" on page 22 in the manual, as well as "Line Output: Ref Level" and "Auto Ref Level" on page 21 : https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/adi2dacr_e.pdf

Johannes AU

Yes, you can lock the big volume for volume changes for the line out, but must then use the small knobs for volume change. Most of the settings on ADI-2-DAC is separate for each output and will be automatically loaded when output is changed. On my ADI-2 I've dynamic loudness on both line out and headphones, but levels are different. Similarly I've EQ on my headphones but not on my monitors that has their own calibration stored in them (they are Genelec SAM enabled monitors/subwoofer).

See "Lock Volume" on page 22 in the manual, as well as "Line Output: Ref Level" and "Auto Ref Level" on page 21 : https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/adi2dacr_e.pdf

Thank you Trell, I read the manual section as per your recommandation. If I am not understand it wrong, for example, RCA output, if I set at -7dBu, it fits my Yamaha amp, but I still can adjust the volume with the big knob unless I set it to lock, and even if I turn it to highest/maximum, it will not over the -7dBu output, right? and -7dBu is a bit lower than 2V, that left a headroom for EQ, right?

Last edited:

Trell

Major Contributor
Thank you Trell, I read the manual section as per your recommandation. If I am not understand it wrong, for example, RCA output, if I set at -7dBu, it fits my Yamaha amp, but I still can adjust the volume with the big knob unless I set it to lock, and even if I set it to highest, it will not over the -7dBu output, right? and -7dBu is a bit lower than 2V, that left a headroom for EQ, right?

You mean +7 dBu that is 1.73 V RMS? Some headroom might be needed when PEQ/dynamic loudness is in use. You've probably seen the example for 2V in the manual page 62 "Fixed Output Level –Lock Volume"?

Johannes AU

You mean +7 dBu that is 1.73 V RMS? Some headroom might be needed when PEQ/dynamic loudness is in use. You've probably seen the example for 2V in the manual page 62 "Fixed Output Level –Lock Volume"?
>> You mean +7 dBu that is 1.73 V RMS?
Yes.

>>You've probably seen the example for 2V in the manual page 62 "Fixed Output Level –Lock Volume"?
I missed that part, now I got it, THANKS !!!!

Trell

Major Contributor
>> You mean +7 dBu that is 1.73 V RMS?
Yes.

>>You've probably seen the example for 2V in the manual page 62 "Fixed Output Level –Lock Volume"?
I missed that part, now I got it, THANKS !!!!

One of the benefits of a device from RME is an excellent manual that is usable for the intended audience, and the manual is even included in the package and is printed on high quality glossy paper. This is a "feature" that I willingly pay extra for.

Johannes AU

One of the benefits of a device from RME is an excellent manual that is usable for the intended audience, and the manual is even included in the package and is printed on high quality glossy paper. This is a "feature" that I willingly pay extra for.

Yes, second it.
But my DAC not yet arrived, cannot test the function by myself, thats why I can only read the downloaded pdf one, dig deep inside and try to digest everything before I switch on the coming DAC.....

Last edited:

Johannes AU

Dedicated iPad (minimal apps, notifications turned off, etc.) > Apple Lightning to USB-3 Camera Adapter > RME. I ran the RME bit perfect tests and they all pass. You can see the 176.4 sample rate in the lower right of the RME screen.

View attachment 138338

Nicely done ..... I wish Apple will release a new iPod with better function to let us enjoy Apple Music Streaming ~~~

Johannes AU

Trell, I did read again the Yamaha WXA-50 manual, it has input trim, plus minus 6dB (AUX IN) .... so it will be safe ......

ElNino

Addicted to Fun and Learning

This is the same setup I use too. If anyone else is also considering this, the iPad Mini fits perfectly on top of the RME in landscape mode (the dimensions of both units are basically identical) and if you get a magnetic cover that folds into a triangular base, the iPad actually attaches magnetically to the RME's chassis, so it's pretty rigid and you don't need a stand.

Unlike macOS, iOS does automatic sample rate switching so the sample rate shown on the RME always matches the sample rate of the track being played.

Zensō

Major Contributor
This is the same setup I use too. If anyone else is also considering this, the iPad Mini fits perfectly on top of the RME in landscape mode (the dimensions of both units are basically identical) and if you get a magnetic cover that folds into a triangular base, the iPad actually attaches magnetically to the RME's chassis, so it's pretty rigid and you don't need a stand.

Unlike macOS, iOS does automatic sample rate switching so the sample rate shown on the RME always matches the sample rate of the track being played.
Nice tip about the iPad Mini. Thanks!

Johannes AU

I have the iPhone old SE for this purpose, my old iPod is still good, however, the iOS version 9.3.5 may be not support lossless .... I can only prove it with the coming RME .....

Top Bottom