• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME ADI-2 FS Version 2 DAC and Headphone Amp Review

Booker

Forum Donor

slainte

I've been using my Squeezebox Touch as a transport and it's internal (aka aging) DAC connected to my headphone amp (THX 789). Finally ready to upgrade to an external DAC. The RME appeals to me. Admittedly, I may not use all of its features out the gate, but it seems like a high caliber device with some longevity built-in.

I wish to keep my SB Touch as a transport. Has anyone tried the USB EDO plugin on the RME?

Thanks.

badboygolf16v

Forum Donor
I normally use an RPi4 with RoPieeeXL, but I've got a Touch with EDO in a cupboard so I dug it out. Seems to work ok, I tested some 24/192. (Couldn't get DSD working, normally this fails because I have to limit the max sample rate sent, which I didn't have time to mess about with. There are options to transcode anyway if required.)

Attachments

• image000000.jpg
    image000000.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 168

slainte

I normally use an RPi4 with RoPieeeXL, but I've got a Touch with EDO in a cupboard so I dug it out. Seems to work ok, I tested some 24/192. (Couldn't get DSD working, normally this fails because I have to limit the max sample rate sent, which I didn't have time to mess about with. There are options to transcode anyway if required.)

Oh man...thank you!!!

Great reply to a first post. Again, thanks for the effort. I just ordered the unit. Looking forward to getting it in play, especially now that Deezer HiFi is finally enabled on the LMS platform.

badboygolf16v

Forum Donor
Oh man...thank you!!!

Great reply to a first post. Again, thanks for the effort. I just ordered the unit. Looking forward to getting it in play, especially now that Deezer HiFi is finally enabled on the LMS platform.

You won't regret it. I had a THX789 before the ADI-2 but don't miss it. (I don't have any balanced headphones.)

AlexHRider

so @MC_RME when we'll all get an ADI-3 FS with balanced phone connector? im tired of moving back and forth the ADI-2 FS from the living room to bedroom to drive my main setup with Hypex NC400 and headphones collection:D

badboygolf16v

Forum Donor
so @MC_RME when we'll all get an ADI-3 FS with balanced phone connector? im tired of moving back and forth the ADI-2 FS from the living room to bedroom to drive my main setup with Hypex NC400 and headphones collection:D
The Pro ADC/DAC does balanced. A bit more expensive though.

slainte

You won't regret it. I had a THX789 before the ADI-2 but don't miss it. (I don't have any balanced headphones.)

I have some balanced phones...well, can be balanced with the right cables. Using single ended connections currently. Was thinking I could use the RME as a DAC-only piece to the 789. Is that overkill or do you think there could be any benefits aside from the balanced outs on the 789? I know it's not true balanced out but I read it can dish a bit more power of needed.

AlexHRider

The Pro ADC/DAC does balanced. A bit more expensive though.

Yes i've checked that option but its double the price and i'll be never using the DA (mispelled ---> AD) part so i'll wait for a more home-fi version like the ADI2 DAC FS (gotta hold tight my wallet tho xD )

Last edited:

badboygolf16v

Forum Donor
I have some balanced phones...well, can be balanced with the right cables. Using single ended connections currently. Was thinking I could use the RME as a DAC-only piece to the 789. Is that overkill or do you think there could be any benefits aside from the balanced outs on the 789? I know it's not true balanced out but I read it can dish a bit more power of needed.

From the horse's mouth: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-adi-2-dac-and-headphone-amp.7546/post-176434 - yes maybe worth it if you need the power. If you don't need the power I wouldn't bother with the THX 789.

Grotti

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I really wonder which Headphone needs more power than the RME provides? I know there are some HP out there with a bad efficiency and which can handle a lot of power too, but even in this case the RME should be able to drive them with a decent SPL. I would be concerned about hearing loss even with low efficiency headphones.

Slayer

Would i be correct in assuming you can use both XLR and RCA outputs at the same time ? Or do you have to choose either XLR or RCA being active ?

SimpleTheater

Forum Donor
Would i be correct in assuming you can use both XLR and RCA outputs at the same time ? Or do you have to choose either XLR or RCA being active ?
Both active at the same time.

ezra_s

Forum Donor

Yeap, you can, I use them both. XLR for the amp, RCA for the sub. Works perfectly.

Slayer

Yeap, you can, I use them both. XLR for the amp, RCA for the sub. Works perfectly.
Is it possible to say low pass the xlr out and high pass the rca outs?
I would intend on using the xlr outs for the subs and the rca's to my amp, but i would like to trim the bass going to the rca out.
Sorry if this has been covered before, but i was unable to find the answers i need.

Atanasi

Forum Donor
ADI-2 PRO can do that with its two sets of channels with their own DSPs and DACs. For example:
I've setup my ADI-2 Pro as a monitor controller. It can provide one-button selection of USB or DAC mode, selecting between two sets of speakers (one balanced, the other unbalanced), mono L+R, mono L-R, and use of headphone or speakers. These are functions that are commonly used when tracking, mixing, or mastering.

ezra_s

Forum Donor
I would intend on using the xlr outs for the subs and the rca's to my amp, but i would like to trim the bass going to the rca out.
Sorry if this has been covered before, but i was unable to find the answers i need.

Not with the DAC, follow Atanasi comment.

Top Bottom