• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME ADI-2 FS Version 2 DAC and Headphone Amp Review

melowman

Foobar2000 cannot output 32 bit fixed point, because it uses floats internally (which can handle at most 25 bits) -- hence what you witness.

Risc1911

Foobar2000 cannot output 32 bit fixed point, because it uses floats internally (which can handle at most 25 bits) -- hence what you witness.

Thanks, i did not know that. I am such a noob with this, i have to learn a lot.

KSTR

Major Contributor
3. ASIO switches sample rate automatically on the DAC. But it completely locks any other windows sounds and takes exclusive control of the sound engine. Not ideal unless you really just want to listen to music.
This should not be the case. The RME ASIO driver is multi-client and can be shared between applications as long as the sample rate is the same.
When an app requests a different sample the output of all apps not using this rate is stopped. That's at least what I experience here (Win10 1909), I can mix outputs of several instances of REW, plus Audition, Foobar etc with no problem. Have not tried with Win system sounds, though (are off, anyway).

Reactions: Tks

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Latest firmware version 249/98 for the Pro and 35/34 for the DAC below:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?pid=167427#p167427

MC:
"if one measures jitter attenuation over frequency the attenuation will be quite high at higher frequencies, and quite low at lower ones. The simple reason is that one needs to follow the incoming clock, and if that one varies slowly or a bit quicker (intentional detuning, varipitch) you don't want to loose sync. But that would usually happen when the jitter filter does not let through such slow changes.

In version 249 and 35 we finished what we had begun in version 238 and 34. In those versions the jitter attenuation was 4 x times higher than before, but a bit unstable in the low frequency area (which caused these low level nearby sidebands reported above). This is now resolved. The new SteadyClock works flawlessly with no difference to before, but jitter attenuation now has a corner frequency no longer around 200 Hz, but at around 1 Hz. That means more than 50 dB jitter reduction also at 50 Hz and similar real-world jitter frequencies. Absolutely top-notch for any kind of incoming clock signal.

Later on I will show the difference in behaviour with measurements on my APx555B."

Grotti

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Confession: never updated firmware in my pro. Sounds great, does everything I need and usually I don't change a running system (except my computer).

Should I update?

Booker

Forum Donor
I already did, as I like to be always up to date :)

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Confession: never updated firmware in my pro. Sounds great, does everything I need and usually I don't change a running system (except my computer).

Should I update?
While I generally agree to "if it ain't broken, don't fix it", there are enhancements and improvements with new firmware. Plus if you write down your current version, you can download it and revert later if you wish. So other than fearing the update process bricking the unit (knocks on wood), there is little to risk.

DomieMic65

From what I understood the update has to do with the USB receiver so the V.34 in the start screen of the device is right yes?

Kotrmelec

I already did, as I like to be always up to date :)
I did update mine, all fine so far
Only it is still showing 35 version in the DAC menu, but in in the flash tool it shows version 36, up to date
..and I did restart
strange

Kotrmelec

From what I understood the update has to do with the USB receiver so the V.34 in the start screen of the device is right yes?
I see the same :rolleyes:

Kotrmelec

Latest firmware version 249/98 for the Pro and 35/34 for the DAC below:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?pid=167427#p167427

MC:
"if one measures jitter attenuation over frequency the attenuation will be quite high at higher frequencies, and quite low at lower ones. The simple reason is that one needs to follow the incoming clock, and if that one varies slowly or a bit quicker (intentional detuning, varipitch) you don't want to loose sync. But that would usually happen when the jitter filter does not let through such slow changes.

In version 249 and 35 we finished what we had begun in version 238 and 34. In those versions the jitter attenuation was 4 x times higher than before, but a bit unstable in the low frequency area (which caused these low level nearby sidebands reported above). This is now resolved. The new SteadyClock works flawlessly with no difference to before, but jitter attenuation now has a corner frequency no longer around 200 Hz, but at around 1 Hz. That means more than 50 dB jitter reduction also at 50 Hz and similar real-world jitter frequencies. Absolutely top-notch for any kind of incoming clock signal.

Later on I will show the difference in behaviour with measurements on my APx555B."
dumb question: Does this jitter improvement mean any need of EQ setting change based on Oratory1990 for headphones?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
dumb question: Does this jitter improvement mean any need of EQ setting change based on Oratory1990 for headphones?
No, it means the low frequency jitter is reduced, meaning a little less distortion overall. This does not change the amplitude in any frequency, so EQ settings should remain the same.

dfuller

Major Contributor
Slightly different question...

I have my ADI-2 Pro FS racked with the rack ears. but the feet are obstructing the rack space right under it. How should I go about removing these?

ShiZo

Forum Donor
Slightly different question...

I have my ADI-2 Pro FS racked with the rack ears. but the feet are obstructing the rack space right under it. How should I go about removing these?
Can you not see screws under the feet? If not then there might be some type of cover you'd have to peel. Or maybe they just screw off entirely. I had one and I remember them being removable, I could be mistaken though.

dfuller

Major Contributor
Can you not see screws under the feet? If not then there might be some type of cover you'd have to peel. Or maybe they just screw off entirely. I had one and I remember them being removable, I could be mistaken though.
No screws, and no cover as far as I can tell.

MC_RME

Technical Expert
Audio Company
Those (rubber) feet use adhesive tape.

BTW, in firmware 249/98 for the Pro we overlooked a change for the SRC. Version 249/99 will finalize that one in the next days (level with SRC is 3 dB too hot).

Top Bottom