• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME ADI-2 FS Version 2 DAC and Headphone Amp Review

Maiooo

Page 22 of the manual for the how to input

You will be selecting the type of filter - low shelf (shelf per oratory) and peak

Each filter has a frequency (where on the scale you are affecting), a gain (how much you are turning that freq up or down) and a Q (the slope of the curve you add).

The problem you have is that one you linked is a 10 and EQ and some of the curves on it rely on more than one filter to create the shape and you only have 5 to play with.

So, either find an EQ with the right number of bands . Or , get as close as you can. I would suggest the key ones are the band 1 (the low shelf which will boost the bass) and a peak at 4060 hz, but not with the same values as Band 7. Try a 5 to 10 dB gain, Q of 1.0 and vary the gain to taste,

Likewise you can play with the gain on the low shelf from 0 to 5 dB. I use a similar EQ using +2dB on the low shelf and 5dB on the 4060 peak.

See what mix suits you best

I find it a bit overwhelming to try and dial these settings in myself since I'm not really sure what they do. I would rather have a "measured" starting point and go from there I think.

In my search for EQ settings, is there anyway I can determine if 5 parameters is "enough"? The ones I've seen normally have more than 5 inputs. I have read some people on the forum using the first 5 inputs too.

Thanks for that thorough reply!

Mark Dirac

I find it a bit overwhelming
Before you start, I suggest that you save your existing factory-default EQ setting, so that you can very easily undo anything you change. In that way, you will be free to experiment.

Yes, five parameters is "enough". It is obviously not as good as ten, but is absolutely a pragmatic "good enough".

If you are interested, I have owned this DAC now for three months. But I have not yet distracted myself with EQ settings. I am taking time to become familiar with the device - its sound and its operation. If you don't mind me saying so, it sounds as though you would benefit from taking a little longer to become more familiar with your DAC and its controls and many different features.

Aerith Gainsborough

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yes, five parameters is "enough". It is obviously not as good as ten, but is absolutely a pragmatic "good enough".
It depends on what you want to do.
I agree that it should be enough for headphones, it probably won't be enough for a room correction.

Naturally a device like the RME does not have the resources for 50 bands like a professional plugin (i.e.: pro Q³).
I'd say, if your headphone has such a trainwreck of a frequency response that the ADI's capabilities are not enough to fix it, get a new headphone.

I used Oratory's measured settings as a start but I left out the tiny ones. 1dB @ a high Q value ... fat chance that I will hear that filter at all.

Go for the low hanging fruit and see how little you can get away with.

As for what the settings do, it's easy.
gain in dB: magnitude of the change.
Frequency: center frequency of the filter. Kind of self explanatory, really.
Q factor: width of the frequency range that is affected. High Q = narrow range. Easily seen on the display in real time.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I find it a bit overwhelming to try and dial these settings in myself since I'm not really sure what they do. I would rather have a "measured" starting point and go from there I think.

In my search for EQ settings, is there anyway I can determine if 5 parameters is "enough"? The ones I've seen normally have more than 5 inputs. I have read some people on the forum using the first 5 inputs too.

I'm not sure who else is going to do it for you?

Tks

Major Contributor

I could try and get a 5-setting one for you. But, do you at least understand how to use the actual DAC itself? Like do you understand how to cycle through each of the 5 bands, and input the things I tell you, or will you need instruction on how to do that as well?

ririt

I could try and get a 5-setting one for you. But, do you at least understand how to use the actual DAC itself? Like do you understand how to cycle through each of the 5 bands, and input the things I tell you, or will you need instruction on how to do that as well?
Since it seems that is a lot of ADI-2 DAC FS, I will be great to have ready-to-use dedicated PEQ settings.

Maiooo

If you don't mind me saying so, it sounds as though you would benefit from taking a little longer to become more familiar with your DAC and its controls and many different features.

Yes you're right, I definitely need to RTFM. Just thought it would be fun to A/B-test an EQ setting since I've never used it before!

As for what the settings do, it's easy.
gain in dB: magnitude of the change.
Frequency: center frequency of the filter. Kind of self explanatory, really.
Q factor: width of the frequency range that is affected. High Q = narrow range. Easily seen on the display in real time.

This is excellent, thank you!

I'm not sure who else is going to do it for you?

That's fair enough, I didn't mean to imply that someone else would do it for me. As a complete noob it's just easier to start from a point of reference rather than just trying different settings. That way I know I have a "correct" starting point if that makes any sense. I was hoping that someone with a pair of LCD-2Cs might have a preferred setting that I could try or what inputs from Oratory I should use. I read through the whole thread before posting just to make sure it hadn't been asked before. Apologies if it came off as an expectance of settings for dummies :D

Oh man, that would be great! I should be able to dial everything in with the help of the manual and youtube :)

Thanks to everyone again, really appreciate you taking the time!

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes you're right, I definitely need to RTFM. Just thought it would be fun to A/B-test an EQ setting since I've never used it before!

This is excellent, thank you!

That's fair enough, I didn't mean to imply that someone else would do it for me. As a complete noob it's just easier to start from a point of reference rather than just trying different settings. That way I know I have a "correct" starting point if that makes any sense. I was hoping that someone with a pair of LCD-2Cs might have a preferred setting that I could try or what inputs from Oratory I should use. I read through the whole thread before posting just to make sure it hadn't been asked before. Apologies if it came off as an expectance of settings for dummies :D

Oh man, that would be great! I should be able to dial everything in with the help of the manual and youtube :)

I told you a setting I use that only uses 2 filters. A low shelf and a peak. And what values to input. For the lcd 2c. Not meaning to come off as unkind, but I'm not sure what more anyone can give you.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
IMO if the PEQ had 10 bands it would be ideal.

Maiooo

I told you a setting I use that only uses 2 filters. A low shelf and a peak. And what values to input. For the lcd 2c. Not meaning to come off as unkind, but I'm not sure what more anyone can give you.

It doesn't come off as unhelpful but I didn't even understand that those values were meant for the LCD-2Cs and that the point of your reply was that I try myself. Didn't even understand that those were specific values to enter.

Tks

Major Contributor

Okay, I ran an Auto-EQ that I feel should suffice. There will be 10-bands here (I wanted to future-proof you if you happen to get a device in the future, or want to run EQ on your phone or PC that has support for more bands).

One thing to keep in mind, you can use the first 5, and ignore the latter 5. But if you're going to run all 10 in the future, you must use all 10 at the same time.

Okay, I'm going to try and make this super simple since it seemed like you needed a primer on what's going on.

As a quick primer, our hearing is measured in Hz or kHz (1kHz is simply 1000Hz). Our hearing ranges from approximately 10Hz to 20kHz (20,000Hz). To understand what things sound like in what range, just have a quick glance at this image. When someone is talking about "bass" you can see approximately that's anything between 10Hz to 200Hz. And if anyone is talking about treble, well, you get the idea. When we EQ stuff, we're changing what parts get more louder or less. So if you have headphones that have no bass, you can give them some boost, or lower the rest of the range to make the bass "stick out" more in the sound being played. That's what we're going to do now. There's positive and negative value. So if we want 200Hz to sound more pronounced, we can add +5dB (measure of volume), and that will make that more pronounced. Or we can do -10dB if we really don't want to hear 200Hz sounds too much.

iu

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've made Bold the letters that correspond to the abbreviated letters you will see on your RME DAC's EQ.

Band means simply one of the 5 bands we can control on the RME's Parametric EQ. (Again just use the first 5 I provide, and only use 10 if you really want to in software that supports 10 or more bands.

The Gain means how much "volume" we're adding or removing to the certain frequency.

The Frequency means which part of the spectrum of Hertz we're going to be raising or lowering.

The Q-factor, is how sharply we want to effect that frequency (lower Q factor will allow for frequencies next to our intended one to also be affected a little bit, while higher Q factor tries to affect the frequencies around our primary one, a bit less). It's a bit more complex, but I'm really just trying to keep it super simple. Also the RME doesn't have the precision I will be providing. If you notice this, and can't dial it in exactly, don't worry it's not a big deal. Simply round up or down as you see fit.

You will see something saying "PK Fc", you can ignore that for now, but know that it's the sort of approach to each frequency we're taking. This PK Fc is simply referred to as a Peak filter (the simplest) and resembles the little squiggly triangle on screen all the way to the right in the little grey box. Meaning we're going to be simply raising/lowering the frequency we want, and not doing anything special. There are other filter band types like "shelf" that will raise everything before and up to the point of the frequency you want. But those we won't be using. So just make sure, your frequency's are all peak types for now, you can confirm that if your DAC shows the little grey box with a upward triangle-like little image in the lower right grey box, next to the Q value on the DAC's screen.

iu

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Preamp: -6.8 dB (RME DAC takes care of this on it's own, don't worry too much about this, it's a setting found in other EQ devices that allows for safe boosting of frequencies, so you don't push values too high. If you see this, use it, but on the RME, there's no setting for this) If you're paranoid about "clipping" (driving too much frequency boosting so to speak in this situation), simply keep your RME at -7dB max volume whenever you have the EQ engaged.

Band 1: ON PK Fc --- Gain: -2.2 dB --- Frequency: 143 Hz --- Q: 0.28
Band 2: ON PK Fc --- Gain: -3.4 dB --- Frequency: 945 Hz --- Q: 1.40
Band 3: ON PK Fc --- Gain: -2.3 dB --- Frequency: 2740 Hz --- Q: 4.52
Band 4: ON PK Fc --- Gain: +6.9 dB --- Frequency: 3752 Hz --- Q: 1.76
Band 5: ON PK Fc --- Gain: +1.7 dB --- Frequency: 10679 Hz --- Q: 2.36

(Use the following with the first 5 bands only if you have software that allows for this many bands, otherwise ignore as previously mentioned)

Band 6: ON PK Fc --- Gain: -0.9 dB --- Frequency: 1304 Hz --- Q: 4.76
Band 7: ON PK Fc --- Gain: +2.0 dB --- Frequency: 2024 Hz --- Q: 5.96
Band 8: ON PK Fc --- Gain: +2.3 dB --- Frequency: 4686 Hz --- Q: 4.79
Band 9: ON PK Fc --- Gain: -4.3 dB --- Frequency: 6100 Hz--- Q: 2.52
Band 10: ON PK Fc --- Gain: +3.7 dB --- Frequency: 7133 Hz --- Q: 3.68

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now none of this is set in stone. You have the two knobs on the RME (the two on the right side of the device) to dial in some more bass or treble to your liking (either +6, or -6 in 0.5dB increments to your preference). You can also experiment with the first 5 bands and change the Gain values as you please if you find something that works better for you.

Good luck, and tell me if you have any further trouble.

Aerith Gainsborough

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If you're paranoid about "clipping" (driving too much frequency boosting so to speak in this situation), simply keep your RME at -7dB max volume whenever you have the EQ engaged.
You can also set the horizontal meter to "both" or "post-FX" in the setup -> Display menu in order to see how much headroom you have until the unit reaches 0dBFS.

Tks

Major Contributor
You can also set the horizontal meter to "both" or "post-FX" in the setup -> Display menu in order to see how much headroom you have until the unit reaches 0dBFS.

I'm trying my best to leave out these things until he perhaps runs into an issue, or realizes for himself, what those functions serve as. Like 0dBFS and clipping may very well be completely foreign concepts to him.

But yeah @Maiooo While you're listening to your music, you can have those two "L" and "R" meters at the bottom that show how much volume is being "output". If you follow what Aerith said, you can have those two meters display when you're potentially going to run over the 0dB (meaning full volume) based on the level your music is playing at. So while in quite parts of your music, you may not come close to 0dB, at loud parts it may get close, or above.

In reality, even that's not a problem due to the "headroom" the designer of the RME DAC implemented. Especially if you have the V2 version of the DAC, then you really don't have much to worry about in general. I think as long as you are running on AUTO reference power settings, you shouldn't run into much issues if any in terms of volume output levels.

Maiooo

Okay, I ran an Auto-EQ that I feel should suffice. There will be 10-bands here (I wanted to future-proof you if you happen to get a device in the future, or want to run EQ on your phone or PC that has support for more bands).

One thing to keep in mind, you can use the first 5, and ignore the latter 5. But if you're going to run all 10 in the future, you must use all 10 at the same time.

Okay, I'm going to try and make this super simple since it seemed like you needed a primer on what's going on.

Wow, just wow, thank you so much! Completely taken aback by that in-depth answer. I'll give this a go later tonight, very excited to try it out!

vlad335

Forum Donor
I just bought a RME ADI-2 FS used. Figuring it out but I have one question, Is this thing stuck on 44.1 resolution?

I cannot change it no matter what. It is locked at 32bit, 44.1 in Windows and cannot change it in the RME's menus. Newest firmware 34 installed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

skypablo

I just bought a RME ADI-2 FS used. Figuring it out but I have one question, Is this thing stuck on 44.1 resolution?

I cannot change it no matter what. It is locked at 32bit, 44.1 in windows. cannot change it in the RME's menus. Newest firmware 34 installed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I suppose you use it via USB, if so you can change the resolution in the Madiface interface for wasapi. After that you can only use the set frequency till you change again in the panel. If you want the 44k 48k 96k 192k dynamically changed by the music software you use (ex roon or qobuz) you need to use the ASIO mode.

vlad335

Forum Donor
I suppose you use it via USB, if so you can change the resolution in the Madiface interface for wasapi. After that you can only use the set frequency till you change again in the panel. If you want the 44k 48k 96k 192k dynamically changed by the music software you use (ex roon or qobuz) you need to use the ASIO mode.

Yes, using via USB. Thank you for the rapid helpful reply. Installed the Madiface file but i thought it a for flashing software only. i didnt see a ASIO mode. As you can tell I don't really know what I am doing.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, using via USB. Thank you for the rapid helpful reply. Installed the Madiface file but i thought it a for flashing software only. i didnt see a ASIO mode. As you can tell I don't really know what I am doing.

Are you sure its not your Windows audio settings that is set to 44? If it is, and you are not using the RME via ASIO/ WASAPI in exclusive mode from your software , it will be going via whatever Windows is set to. Look in the device properties for the RME in Windows audio settings

vlad335

Forum Donor
Yes, it is using windows drivers and 32bit 44.1 is the only option. how do i get it to use the RME ASIO drivers in "Exclusive" mode?

Top Bottom